Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 30, 2014, 11:23:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1954 PD-4104 Vin # Question  (Read 4161 times)
Bestekustoms
EAGLE

1969 EAGLE 05 1967 Eagle 04 1972 Eagle 05 +More

Ignore
« on: January 11, 2010, 10:15:28 PM »

I Just Picked Up An Old 1954 GMC PD-4104 Out Here In Colorado.
She Drove Home (100 Miles ) Very Well Today.

My Question Is... My Vin# Is 1400 And I Was Wondering If Anyone Out There Has Any Information On History Of This Old Girl. Who Was It Sold To New?? Was This Bus A Trailways?? Greyhound?? It Would Be Nice To Know.
I Can Kinda Make Out... CALIFORNIA SITESEEING TOURS Across The Front Of The Bus. Im Sure There Are More Markings That Ive Yet To See.

Any Help Would Be GREAT...
THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
JOHN

"IT IS..... WHAT IT IS"
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 12:20:28 AM »

John -

If your VIN is correct, PD4104-1400 was delivered new in May of 1955 as fleet number 186 to New Mexico Transportation Company, based out of Roswell, NM.

JLV (Roadrunner Tex) will confirm when he sees this post, I believe NMT is/was a Greyhound affiliate.

As was common in those days, many company's kept their vehicles 10 years before selling them off to second-tier operators.  Thus, your coach may have left the fleet after the peak summer season of 1965 or so.  Up until then, NMT took good care of it, who knows about subsequent owners - missing HVAC compartment door, destination sign glass and windshield wipers, for example.

You're on your own as far as finding "in-between" owners - you'll probably have to do some sleuthing backwards from the PO.

Very cool that it hasn't been "capped" - still has the original rear window glass, for example. 

Are all three pieces in good shape?  If so, you're in luck, because the glass is currently made from "unobtainium", altho Doug Wotrig may still have some of the outer pieces.  Oh, and that RH top front corner marker light?  Trees like to eat them, so much so that if that happens to you, you're going to have to find an alternative, as that part too is long since out of production.

It's also quite unique in that this coach still has the split windows on the front door and to the left of the driver.  Most have been replaced with single panes.  Unique thing about these is that you can open them up for some additional fresh air flow.  Another busnut (Fast Fred) had some new weatherstripping made up for these, I believe the extra sets went to Luke @ US Coach (1-888-262-2434).

Enjoy your "new" toy!

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 04:43:53 AM »

John, you have gone off the deep end my friend does that make number 6 or 7 now and I thought I was bad with 5 at one time  LOL

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Bestekustoms
EAGLE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 05:47:52 AM »

THANK YOU For All You Help Up Yo This Point. Kiss

There Are NO Missing Parts That I Can Tell. Everything That Is Missing In The Photos Is Resting Safely Inside The Bus. The PO Was Starting To Restore/Repair Worn Items. There Is A Roll Of New Baggage Door Rubber Hinge Resting Next To The HVAC Compartment Door. Smiley Smiley Smiley
All Glass Is In Good Condition. Although There Is A Small Crack In The Passenger Side Rear Corner Glass. Cry

The 671 Runs SWEET..... U Can Tell By Looking At The Engine It Has Been Re-Newed Sometime In The Not So Far Past. Also Holds Good Air. Bags Look Good.

Also The Coach Came With A Very Nice Large Vintage ONAN Gen.

The PO Was Going To Scrap The Old Girl For Her Aluminum. Sad But True Cry

So......Another One SAVED From The Jaws Of Death. ( My Good Deed For The Day )

Clifford I Think Thats HuhHuh? (7) Shocked

JOHN

"IT IS..... WHAT IT IS"
desi arnaz

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 06:38:32 AM »

what did you have to give for her?  can we see inside photos please?

thomas f  Bethlehem n.h
roadrunnertex

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 08:36:36 AM »

New Mexico Transportation Company home office was located in Roswell,NM.
The old ex New Mexico Transportation Company bus station on North Main is still in operation to this date.
Note:That New Mexico Transportation Company was in part owned by the Greyhound Corp.
New Mexico Transportation Company is no longer it was bought by TNM&O Coaches in Lubbock,Texas  many years ago.
Now TNM&O is no longer as it was bought by the now Greyhound Lines.
New Mexico Transportation Company had some very good equipment in later years it was GMC and MCI equipment.
Many years ago when I was stationed in Roswell,NM at Walker AFB (SAC) and got to ride on a New Mexico Transportation Company PD-4106 from Amarillo,Texas to Roswell,NM and that old 4106 was a very fast bus back then we made the trip in record time.
New Mexico Transportation Company is long gone but the memories still linger on.
Take care of the old PD-4104 paint her the old Greyhound Blue and white and it will look like a New Mexico Transportation coach again.
jlv

John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 08:44:45 AM »

LOL, you have gone too far, John Wink. There is no going back now.

Good for you. You saved another one from the scrapper.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
PCC

Serving Those Who Have Served

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 11:19:35 AM »

Roswell ??

Have you been able to find an old passenger listing ?

Be interesting to see what has been aboard this one !!

Great looking coach for its age. (Not like me)

My first bus to drive was PD4104-028(?). Broke a clutch pressure plate and drove many miles for a repair.

Have fun and keep a photo journal.

For some, patience is a virtue.
Dealing with me, it is required.
Thank God - He is always patient.
bryanhes

Eagle Model 10 "For Now"

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 01:00:43 PM »

John,

I am posting a couple pics for you from JLV. Models 4104 & 4106..

Neat bus  Grin

Bryan
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 03:28:35 PM »

That is a very nice looking 4104.  I remember there was a guy in colorado a few years back trying to sell his '04,  I think he wanted about $5K back then, this reminds me of that bus.  If memory serves he had just done the king pins and other aspects of the front end.  Anyway I am green with envy, my '04 will never have nice naked sides like that, it needs the paint to hide all the repairs etc.

Bestekustoms
EAGLE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 06:55:35 PM »

THANKS GUYS !!!!

Very Cool Pictures Bryan. Yes That Is The Old Girl..... I Can Make Out Some Of The Lettering On The Sides. Also....Was The Greyhound Dog A Bolt On Emblem??   It Sure Looks Like There Was Something Right In That Area That Was Bolted On. Still Has All The Bolts. Now I Figured It Out... Im Sure Thats Whats Going On There....

Wow This Is A Lot Of Info In A 24 Hour Time Span. A Lot To Take In...

Desi Arnaz.... Its Not About What I Gave For It.... Its All About How Much Your Going To Give Me For It $$$$$$ That Really Matters.. LOL..

WOW, I Cant Wait To Get Out The Hose And Give The Bus A Bubble Bath... Im Sure It Will Be Like Day & Night.!!

Really...... Thank You Guys.....

One Of My Next Buses Has Got To Be A  PD-4501  ( Lifes Dream ) 10-4

JOHN
Mr Breeze

"IT IS..... WHAT IT IS"
Bestekustoms
EAGLE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 09:41:51 PM »

I Just Went Outside And Looked At The Lettering On The Bus And..... Its Plain To See.... 186 Under The Window On The Entrance Door.

Hee Haw..... I Gotz Me A Real Hound !!

Anyone Have Some Original Seats Laying Around Huh Anything Else I Might Need To Restore This Ole Girl.??... How About Some Large Dog Side Emblems ??

Im Excited All Over Again.!! Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
10-4

JOHN
Mr Breeze

"IT IS..... WHAT IT IS"
bryanhes

Eagle Model 10 "For Now"

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 09:53:57 PM »

John,

Thanks goes to JLV (roadrunnertex) the pictures were from him. I just resized and posted for John. He was having a problem with the server accepting the size.

Good luck with the Ol'Girl  Grin Grin

Bryan
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 04:50:13 AM »

John, those dogs come up on ebay from time to time, they are usually in poor shape and go for quite high dollars.  I would get the specs and make a pair.
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: