Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 10:01:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UPDATE 2/17: Shepherd Engine Saga Continues - third drive - about the same  (Read 13070 times)
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2010, 08:29:16 PM »

Bob, interesting point.  I had observed that the Jake brakes are quite a bit quieter than the old engine.  Your comment makes me wonder if there could be a restriction in the exhaust.  Can't for the life of me think what it could be.  I guess I could have installed a gasket incorrectly, but I really tried to be careful when installing the manifold.  I will have Pat rev the engine and see what kind of flow I get out of the tailpipe.  I suppose it could be a restriction on the downside of the turbo, but again, I can't think of what it could be.  Nothing has changed from the first engine.

I tried to measure each exhaust port with the IR gun, but the blanket make that impossible.

Another point to ponder.

For those of you saying "darn electronic engine", I am not sure it is an electronic issue.  I am not getting any codes. So, the jury is still out on that issue.

At some point, I could do an injector test with the Pro-Link, but the engine sounds pretty smooth.

Jim
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 08:51:55 PM by rv_safetyman » Logged

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: February 24, 2010, 12:15:02 AM »

Okay - I just got finished rereading the ENTIRE thread - As you are narrowing the possibilities -

1) I realized my third post was for the most part repetitive

2) I'm now beginning to suspect your "3 part" exhaust as the villian (tell us more)

3) Not totally believing it's not fuel supply related

FWIW

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
Bob Belter

Eagle 01 //Cummins M-11 Roadranger OD RTO1110

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: February 24, 2010, 11:52:23 AM »

Ahoy, Jim,

A question:  Did you keep the booster pump switched on while you were driving / testing?  Your tests showed plenty of flow rate with the boost pump on.  The reason I asked is that without the positive pressure from the boost pump, perhaps the braided hose (teflon?) liner collapses and restricts flow.

Good luck  /s/   Bob 
pato-06

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: February 24, 2010, 03:16:50 PM »

Jim , seeing that you are in  Co. I have seen what pack rats can do in a short time. ( plugged exhaust ) Pat
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: February 24, 2010, 04:06:36 PM »

Bob, I probably did not explain what I was doing with the pump.  I disconnected the hose at the DD pump and hooked it up to the INLET of the Holley pump.  I then put the outlet of the Holley pump into a 1 gallon jug.  Thus, I was testing the ability of the complete supply system (hoses and filter) to supply the DD pump - simulated with the Holley pump.  I do not have a supply pump in the system.

Pat, as far as I know, we do not have pack rats here.  The bus is in the shop, and I just installed the muffler and tailpipe a couple of months ago.  Having said that, I did not think to check for any blockage.  The next time I fire it up to do some testing, I will see what the exhaust feels like in terms of flow.

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: February 25, 2010, 05:45:51 AM »

Jim,
Just a slight thought on exhaust blockage (which I really doubt it an issue, but possible!).
The engine was out right? the exhaust was open right? Was it anywhere other than your shop during this time? Could be something accidentally got dropped in there. (or even accidentally on purpose once it was discovered that they were not going to be able to ho$e you on replacing the engine, but again very doubtful, but still possible!)

OK now back to the leaks ANY leak in the air charge/cooler system is a problem! Get that air charge cooler fixed! I'll suspect that once that is done and you verify the rest of the exhaust / turbo system is in good none leaking condition it will perform like a new engine! (oh yeah it is a new engine! Wink )
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: February 25, 2010, 12:01:38 PM »

OK folks.  I have some new information that I need to post.  However, I will start a new thread, since this one is getting too long.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: