Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 22, 2014, 01:21:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sideways on freezing rain!  (Read 3834 times)
trucktramp

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 07:46:21 AM »

Don't they have some that are lit up when they are on?

I've never seen any that were lighted.  They just slip over the switch.  I have often thought of putting in a pilot light...maybe a multi colored led to show that it is on and armed.  I don't think it would be all that hard but never tried it.

Dennis Watson
KB8KNP
Scotts, Michigan
1966 MCI MC5A
8V71
Spicer 4 Speed Manual
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2010, 08:00:24 AM »

JC,
As said don't beat yerself up on this, it was a learning experience! Glad to hear you learned!
Also I understand the problem with the jake switch too (having driven some D models myself)

Ed; good idea on a lit up switch!

Trucktramp; unfortunately MCI didn't use the toggle switches your thinking of on the D models they are a rocker type (which should be easy to find one that lights up as Ed mentions!)

OK back to JC since you are the only (or main) person who drives this bus. Why not personalize it to fit your needs? I haven't seen the way yours is actually laid out, but of the D's I have driven I have seen the jake switch in 3 different places! #1 to the right of the steering wheel near the light switches, #2 to the left of the steering wheel near the fast idle & A/C switches, and #3 below #2 on the front (lower) part of the left arm rest. So no knowing where your are, it's hard to tell how difficult it would be to relocate the switch to where it's the easiest switch to reach right under the drivers finger tips at the end of the arm rest. (where the switch for the pass blowers usually is!) But with a little wire, some solder and shrink wrap it would not be hard to extend the wires and put the switch where it's easy to reach!
Another idea would be just to put a led right above or below it that comes on either when the jakes are on, or when the master switch is on so you can see it to turn it on or off in a hurry!

Also one more tip is that when the jakes come on when not wanted it is easy to feather the fuel pedal in order to cut them out while reaching for the switch! HTH FWIW
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2010, 08:04:44 AM »

OH Keith that is precious "Headsets are great, because then they cannot hear you scream at the other drivers." And so was the hearing aid also! Wink

You posted while I was hunt & peck typing my "book" Wink
Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2010, 08:15:29 AM »

PCC and BK, good ideas to look into. Thanks.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2010, 10:41:25 AM »

My other thought was that I think I remember that this is a manual trans bus.  My clutch switch is set up to disengage the jake by feathering the clutch, just taking up the free play.  Only how are you going to think of all this stuff while steering into a skid?

Old Nascar driver talking to a new Nascar driver "No, 'loose' is when you don't  see the wall before you hit it, 'tight' is when you see it coming..."

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
WVA_NATIVE

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2010, 11:16:39 AM »

OH Keith that is precious "Headsets are great, because then they cannot hear you scream at the other drivers." And so was the hearing aid also! Wink

You posted while I was hunt & peck typing my "book" Wink
Grin  BK  Grin

I didn't know you were writing a book.
Bk, I want to be the first one to get a signed copy of your new book. I'll need it to prove to my grand kids that I really knew you. Wow I can see it now, Grandpa did you really know him? But of course I need a signed copy to prove it. I know you'll come through for me BK.

Oh and here are a couple of titles for you to consider; Buses along the Mohawk, Gone with the Bus staring Clark Gable, Titanic The Bus,
The Buses of Navarone and of course my favorite since you are in TN Bus Warming. I'm sure others will have a few suggestions for you BK.

WVaNative
Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2010, 11:40:16 AM »

JC, for me - I want all my senses when I'm driving.  I even turn the car radio off when I'm in unfamiliar territory - city freeway interchanges, etc.  Hanging on the wall of my office is a porcelain sign, back from when I was driving buses for a living.  "In the interest of safety please eliminate unnecessary conversation with the driver." 

I also remember something else, taught me by the owner of the bus company I drove for.  Listen to the spray coming off your wheels.  If there's spray, the roads are wet.  If not, that shine could be ice, not water.  So, in your situation, I'd ask another question.  Without the headphones, would you have heard the tire noise change, in time to avoid the situation?

As to the cost of modifying the sound system on the coach, making them read subtitles, or whatever -  how does that compare with the cost of a wreck?  That would be a good question for your Board.

I agree with others - you've had a great learning experience.  I've had many, including one that scares me now - 35 or so years later (taking a 4905 over a bridge that wasn't rated for the weight).  They were learning experiences because I haven't done them again. 

Arthur

Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others
RichardEntrekin

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2010, 12:16:40 PM »

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but I modified the jake wiring on my rig so that the jakes come on when I press the brake pedal, and release when I press the pedal. Wait fore you jump on the ice comment. Of course I kept the original toggle that turns the jakes on and off. Plus, I installed one additional toggle that allows me to choose if the jakes engage as originally wired (when accelerater pedal lifts and engaged until accelerator is pressed) OR activated when brake pedal is pressed and deactivated when brake is released.

I like having the jakes when I want to stop. I hated hearing and feeling them come on when I simply rolled out of the throttle on the interstate.

Richard Entrekin
95 Newell, Detroit S 60
Subaru Outback toad
Huntington WV

Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2010, 12:26:03 PM »

Sure you can disengage the Jakes by pushing on the accelerator or the clutch, but when you are suddenly going sideways in a bus, I at least did not think of that. My learned instinctive reaction is to stay off the gas and off the brakes, and to steer. My immediate logical thought was to go for the switch to turn them off. And I know they should not have been on in the first place.

What happens is driving the same bus regularly, you get so familiar with it and the routine, and become lulled into complacency. An event like this really brings me back to a more acute awareness every moment behind the wheel.

I am looking into a better Jake switch, a better sound system with head sets, a panel behind the driver, and improved driving skills for me...

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2010, 01:19:53 PM »

Lighted switches are pretty to look at but in a situation like that you need to be able to feel not see the switch.  The switch extension is the way to go. Mine's about 3" long - most of the time I just wave my hand over the panel to turn it off or on - its easy to find without looking at it.

I've never tried doing donuts on an icy parking lot with the bus but it might not be a bad idea.  I know for sure in a car or truck a few minutes spent jacking around in a parking lot makes it a lot easier to recover out on the road. 

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2010, 02:03:50 PM »

Lighted switches are pretty to look at but in a situation like that you need to be able to feel not see the switch.  The switch extension is the way to go. Mine's about 3" long - most of the time I just wave my hand over the panel to turn it off or on - its easy to find without looking at it.

I've never tried doing donuts on an icy parking lot with the bus but it might not be a bad idea.  I know for sure in a car or truck a few minutes spent jacking around in a parking lot makes it a lot easier to recover out on the road. 

I have! 
http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=7615.0  reply #5 Grin
Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

johns4104

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2010, 02:41:51 PM »

What I like to do when traveling around the freezing mark on the thermometer, is to us my handy dandy hand held infared temp detector.
I point it at bridges and the road windshield etc. to see what the temp. is getting to be outside.

Not my Idea I got the Idea, I got it  from an older (wiser) busnut!

John

PD4104-1859
In Sunny Arizona
Apache Junction Near Phoenix
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2010, 04:48:03 PM »

On my bus, the Jake switch is on the bottom row of switches on the right closest to the driver.  I can turn the Jakes on or off without taking my eyes off the road.  My hand just knows where that switch is.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2010, 07:35:39 PM »

Good job, and good reporting!

On the ear plug front, I wear them on the highway to reduce the fatiguing effects of noise.

Noise makes fatigue, fatigue makes inattention, inattention makes mistakes...

Fans and wind noise, even on the newest coaches, put the background decibels quite high.

Add in the video... There is no lower volume setting that will work for the passengers to hear. For some strange reason, there are speakers right up front in all coach models...

I use fairly modest sound reduction plugs, hearing the tour guide or the conversation in the second row behind me is easier than no plugs.

I use the ribbed soft plastic type ones, the foam type cut too much noise for my liking.

I would be very careful about how you approach justifying any coach modifications. The common citizen might interpret your crusade and associated driving error as reason enough to find another driver.

Best to leave the coach figure skating out of it?

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2010, 08:40:46 PM »

JC & all contributing to this thread - THANK YOU!!  I'm learning a great deal from what I'm reading here.  Thanks for your willingness to share this with the rest of us.  It may prevent an accident or mistake elsewhere. 

Kind Regards, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: