Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 12:01:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 75 GMC 4905  (Read 8041 times)
nbcnco

Ignore
« on: January 15, 2010, 05:25:42 PM »

Hello,

My name is Scott Livingston and I am a newbie. 

A little introduction:

I am currently stationed at Fort Carson, Colorado with the US Army.  I will deploy to Iraq in March for 12 months.  After that, it is retirement time.  My wife wants to get a traveling medical job (Occupational Therapy Assistant) and wants to hit the road.  Sell the house, the daughter is off to College courtesy of the GI Bill and pack up the two small dogs.

We have the opportunity to look at a 1975 GMC 4905 here in Colorado Springs (serial number 1133, I believe, but will verify).

http://coloradosprings.kijiji.com/trailers-rvs/colorado-springs/1975-gmc-4905-bus-conversion-rv-coach/?ad=613142

It's currently being listed at $6000.  There is some damage to the bay doors, but it should be repairable. 

I am looking for any insight/recommendations/thoughts. 

Thanks
Scott

75 GMC P8M4905A-1199
cody

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 06:22:28 PM »

Ask to see the documentation of the rebuild, if there isn't any, it didn't happen, it seems that all buses sold have just had a rebuild and now are being sold for a fraction of what the rebuild cost for some reason. 
Lonnie time to go
Lonnie

Saginaw, Michgan

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 06:27:09 PM »

sounds like a good deal " jake brakes also"

Yes get paperwork for overhaul

Lonnie

1976 4905
roadrunnertex

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 06:31:29 PM »

If the correct serial number is P8M4905A-1133
From GMC to Hartford Motor Coach Co. Baltimore,MD
Fleet number 107
06/1975
Check for corrosion in the wheel wells also the bin doors that are damaged replacement skin is avaliable but very costly.
As for the clain the coach has the miles they state would be a subject to be questioned. Huh
The GMC coaches are a good coach.
Note I own a 1974 P8M4905A and I like the old girl. Grin
jlv
bryanhes

Eagle Model 10 "For Now"

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 06:44:54 PM »

nbcnco,

I have seen that bus for sale a while back. Offer 5K for it. All they can say is no!!  Grin I am a tightwad though, lol

Bryan
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 07:08:05 PM »

This coach certainly looks like it is worth further investigation.

You don't mind doing some of your own work to update the interior and do your own maintenance on the coach?

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
nbcnco

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 07:15:57 PM »

Thanks for the insight.

Once I retire, I'll have nothing but time.  Need something to keep myself occupied. 

Any recommendations on a good bus shop/mechanic around Colorado Springs?

Scott

75 GMC P8M4905A-1199
gus

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 08:49:07 PM »

I retired from the Navy many years ago, when retired you will find that you don't have nearly the time you think you will!!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 05:50:02 AM »

one suggestion I would make is to remove any graphics that would tend to make a law enforcement officer think this is an entertainer (commercial) vehicle. Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
pabusnut

P8M4905A-333 former MK&O lines #731

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 06:09:17 AM »

nbcnco,

Pictures make it look like it is in good condition, but take a good diesel mechanic with you when you go to look at it, even if you need to pay someone.  As others may mention, be looking at the corrosion, and checking the rear bulkhead forward of the engine for signs of cracking.

If it looks decent, or something you are willing to put the time and money into fixing-- go for it.

One caution though.  It will bother you the whole time you are in Iraq that you are not at home able to use/play/mess with your new toy!

Also,  I don't think you will be in Iraq long!

Steve Toomey
PABusnut
1973 GMC P8m4905A-333

currently somewhere in Afghanistan (where the Army doesn't block this site!)

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 06:15:40 AM »

When you go look at it fire it up cold to see what color the exhaust smoke looks like, and also how long before she fires.

Welcome, and God Bless you for your sacrifice!

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 06:27:06 AM »

Scott, and Pabusnut,  Thanks for serving.  Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2010, 06:49:04 AM »

When you go look at it fire it up cold to see what color the exhaust smoke looks like, and also how long before she fires.

check to make sure the engine is cold for this to help assess engine.  Was looking at a bus once and buddy was all trying to sell me on how easy it started no smoke blah blah .... before he started it I had a look in the engine bay etc, noticed it was all nice and warm in there, so of course it started easy with no smoke. 

gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2010, 07:56:32 AM »

I have a couple friends in CO who have Buffalos. One is in Longmont, one in Pueblo. Maybe they might be willing to come look at it with you and give you some more insight. Email me if interested and I'll send you their contact info.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2010, 03:17:38 PM »

It looks quite nice!  I had a 4905 that was a great example of the problems with that line of coach. Embarrassed  If this bus is in good condition, they are a great bus.  Here is a list of things to look for.

Rust on the skins around the all windows, in particular the drivers side window at the drivers seat.  If you see signs of repairs, really check the interior of the electrical panel below that window right next to the drivers left leg.  If the window spent time leaking, the wiring and floor in there can be a mess.

Did this coach have the bogie axle in the rearmost bay?  Some did, some did not.  If it did, there will be 2 BIG sections of frame hanging from the bulkheads.

How do the wood floors look from the inside of the bays?  Some of the torsion bars for the bay doors would pull the wood down and out of shape. 

Where is the muffler on this coach?  Some were in the engine compartment between the fan and the engine, others were under the floor , in the center of the coach, forward of the engine.  When that muffler goes bad, it can catch the floor on fire.  That's how I got my MCI.  Shocked

Look at the bushings in the radius rods through the wheel wells for excessive cracking, or being shoved more than about a quarter inch. 

Look at the airbags for cracking.

Look for signs of leaks around the skylights in the "hump". 

If you are planning on full timing, the original insulation in the walls will be poor for cold weather (i.e. north of the mason dixon line).  Get some pictures of the electrical and good details about the inverter and ask questions once you know what is there.  Again for full timing, there is a lot we can tell you about what is in the bus.  The 3500 watt genset will run one, maybe 2 roof airs but that may be stretching things a little.  Others will chime in there.  Again, the cooling power if you can only run 1 roof air with the original insulation may be a problem if you are full timing.

It looks like this bus has the original windows, which would mean no screens to keep the bugs out and you want to be able to have the windows open.  For full timing, you would want aftermarket windows with screens.

I'd be tempted to say that this is a GREAT starter bus for camping, but it might not be ready for full timing without some significant changes. 

Please do not think that I am "ripping apart" this coach, but I would like to make sure that someone who is serving our country is well served by us.  Thank you!

Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: