Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 20, 2014, 01:48:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roof paint  (Read 5308 times)
danielmeguel/1974 MCI

Ignore
« on: January 16, 2010, 11:09:08 AM »

Hello fellow busnuts and busnutietts. A few years ago somebody posted a white paint to use on the exterior of roof that I believe Sudi Arabia uses on their buses. Any remember that? Any information will help. Thank you in advance...Danielmeguel MCI8 1974
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 01:48:02 PM »

Not sure what you mean.  I have used Kool Seal and think it is fine.  Most would prefer that it is not visible from the ground though.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 02:27:02 PM »

Daniel,

The real benefit in that paint is the brilliant WHITE Hi Gloss that reflects a great amt of the suns energy.  High quality pure white automotive paint is your best bet.  This point is "hotly" contested....and I mean it is fierce.  I will do a test that I think most will accept as accurate in a few days and I will publish the results.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 04:28:55 PM »

Waiting on those test results, although as you know we are convinced of the product already, Grin

Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 05:19:02 PM »

Ruthi,

I still luv ya and what you believe about paint won't change that. 

That guy you sent me to was charming and seemed "real" if you follow that.  I asked for a smidgen of the product to do a test that should have scarred him and he sent me a friggen quart.  You definitely do deal with nice people.  Now I'll feel guilty if this goes as i suspect.

A while ago in this very topic, you have to know that it goes back a ways, on of the knuts called the mfr and talked to "someone" that told him the only real benefit of using the stuff was in getting the roof "white".  Long ago now, and as  recall, that "reply" didn't seem to draw the attention I was certain  it would.  I have been  wrong sooooo mannnny times.

News soon.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 06:13:37 AM »

Hey John, ditto, but..........if the only benefit is being white, how come they sell it in black also? The guy you talked to recommeded that we  put the black on the windsheild behind the cabinets that we are building up there. Also, he said that we can also paint the top to match the bus if wanted. Anyway, you are right about not changing our minds. We have seen and felt the difference in before and after. The ice test should convince anyone that it is not just the color. I dont think the ice knew if the pan was white or black, lol.  Grin  Im sure not out there to convince anyone they should do it our way. All I can do is tell our experience, so what if they dont stay as cool or warm as us, lol, Shocked Roll Eyes Grin  Its all good, still interested in hearing what test you do, and your results. Anyone interested should do as we did and call for a sample and run their own test tho. Take care John, Ruthi

Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 06:29:30 AM »

We used an elastomeric white roof coating from one of the box stores, Lowes I think. That was in 2004. It doesn't chalk but it's a rough surface and hard to keep clean. It does a good job in helping keep our coach cool. Would I do it again, not sure. It'll be a job removing what's up there if I change my mind. I did remove the area painted with the stuff where I put up our Zip Dee Patio Awning with a heat gun, and it peeled right up in small sheets. I think white paint or what ruthi used is the way to go. Oh, the fun we have! Grin

Just my two cents.

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 08:17:03 AM »

Whatever you use, the brightest white you can get will reflect the most heat and the smoother the surface, the easier to keep it bright white.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Nellie Wilson

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 11:33:35 AM »

FWIW –

Some guys at Cherry Point Marine Air Base suggested the paint NASA developed for the space shuttle:Super slick, super white and great insulation properties. They use it to protect the tiles from absorbing heat during re-entry.

Don’t know a source but – as I recall – someone on BNO mentioned it in a thread awhile back.

Nellie Wilson

Had to change a tire... Angry  got to put it on backward... Undecided  still trying to fix it on photoshop... Huh Roll Eyes Huh
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 03:34:07 PM »

http://tcceramic.com/    Link for product. We used it. Call and talk to them. Good people. I looked up lots of references for them, and they sent me a sample to do a test on. Ck it out.

Nellie Wilson

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 06:05:07 PM »

Thanks Ruthie -

Read through their site and am 95% convinced. How did it work for you?

Nellie Wilson

Had to change a tire... Angry  got to put it on backward... Undecided  still trying to fix it on photoshop... Huh Roll Eyes Huh
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 06:55:47 PM »

We put it on the new conversion. Not only did we put it on the roof, but also on the inside of the bus too, on the walls and the floor. They told us that not only does it work to keep heat out, but in the winter, it will reflect the heat from your heat system back in and wont let it escape, so, less heating is required. Also, it will help to keep road heat out. It also helps with sound deadening. We also put the black in the engine compartment, as well as the gen compartment. We got the chance to see it applied on an exhaust system on a generator. You can put you hand on it and not get burned. They sent us a piece of it and told us to put it in a fry pan and put it on the stove and put a piece of ice on it, and the ice cube did not melt. That was pretty impressive. I took us about 3 months of investigating and questioning the guy at TC , and finally doing the test to be convinced. Since putting it on the roof, the difference is astounding Before we finished insulating and putting up the ceiling, we could touch an area where there was no ceramic, and it was so hot, you could not keep your hand there. Then touched a spot where it was at, and it was room temp. Cha Ching, that sold us for sure and assured us it was money well spent.

Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 07:34:51 PM »

Ruthi,

I noticed the website did not least prices.  I always see that as a bad sign.  How much did a bucket cost?

You don't have to believe everything you think.
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 07:44:41 PM »

My mind in blank there right now Roll Eyes But, it is pricey. I will ask hubby tomorrow. He is out of state working. It seems to me we spent around 800 on it, but we got enough to do the entire bus, inside and out, as well as gen comp. and engine, and top of windsheild. We have done most of it now, except for windsheild, and I already know we bought more than we needed. It goes a long ways.  But,,,,,,,,if it makes it more comfortable, and energy efficient, then it was worth it. I have to admit, we did over kill on the insulation. But, when you start from scratch, you only get one shot at it.  Grin   One more note, it is lifetime. Once it is applied, it is never coming off. You cannot even chisel it off.

Nellie Wilson

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 11:04:23 PM »

I found this site

http://www.hytechceramics.com/

got a lot of info and prices, very interesting, they work with the NASA and are in Florida.

Nellie

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: