Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 20, 2014, 02:15:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kyle I need info  (Read 850 times)
4905 doc

Ignore
« on: January 17, 2010, 07:51:00 AM »

Kyle there is a seni-cruiser near me. I'm interested in it. what all should I look for?
thanks in advance for any info.
               Al

http://littlerock.craigslist.org/cto/1521917911.html
pd4501-771
Tom McNally

PD4501-771 "All 43 seats.....still a bus !"

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 09:41:42 AM »

Here is the GH fleet history for that Scenic.   

PD4501-855
             Southeastern Greyhound Lines M-851
   Southeastern Greyhound Lines M-252
   Southeastern Greyhound Lines M-5531
   Southern Greyhound Lines 5531
   Louis Herdon - Augusta, AR. 11/09
   Motorhome for sale

Check bulk-heads for cracks/repairs,  major Aluminum corrosion, air beams, broken curved glass (it's pricey), rust around upper windshield steel cap. Check power steering function. Radiator? original gear driven alernator or newer belt driven?  Make sure VIN # in drivers tool compartment (below drivers feet on left front of coach) is the same on dash builders plate (PD4501-855) and check title carefully for same VIN #. If this runs and drives and you can get it for less than $5K I think it's a fair deal. Go for it! There is still time to prep for a trip to Amarillo for our Scenicruise 2010 gathering in April !

Tom McNally

PD4501-771
PD4501-1001
PD4104-3462
PD3751-686

If you know of the whereabouts of a PD4501 Scenicruiser - I would like to add the serial number to my registry of surviving Scenics.  www.tomsgarageonline.com
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 08:34:35 PM »

If you can't drive it home, the cost to get it home will start at ~$4 per loaded mile & go up from there.

So, you're going to have to do some work on the brakes before you can drive it home.

If it were me, I'd go look it over real closely - Look down the body - if it sags or bows, that's gonna mean lots of work. Look for rust in the air beams. How is the curved glass? If the radiator is shot, you're looking at $1000 minimum to replace the core. Are the tires up to a road trip?

Look for body skin corrosion on the lower level behind the driver. Look for popped rivets.

If you like the look of the bus & the original stuff that is important to you is still there, buy the brake treadle valve & install it & do what ever else is required to ensure road worthiness - then take it for a test drive. If you like it, make a deal & pay the man. Then drive her home.  Grin

BTW, I have paid more for less - - - lots more for lots less.  Sad

Bottom line is the market is quite limited & you can easily spend several thousand dollars flying across the country looking at possible candidates.

The initial purchase price is the smallest part of the cost of converting one of these.

Good luck with your quest.  Grin

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
4905 doc

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 06:27:36 AM »

Tom, Kyle thanks for the replies. I figured the brake pedal would need work. not really a problem for a retired equipment mechanic like me Grin  I was troubled by not being able to test drive it, without putting free labor and time into it. ( a luxury I don't have at the moment)  plus, I wasn't sure where to look for trouble spots. Lucky for me, my map it shows it to be about 75 miles from me. that is what got my interest in the first place. now to convince the wife we could re-do another bus Undecided
We were forced to give up our 4905, so she knows whats involved, and doesn't seem near as pumped as me.
       Alex
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: