Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 23, 2014, 04:36:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wet sleeve cylinder O ring question  (Read 758 times)
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« on: January 18, 2010, 07:15:39 AM »

Hey All,

I have read a few times about cylinder O rings becoming brittle because of age and engines sitting without running for a long period of time. Have any of you ever experienced an engine, maybe one of these fogged government rebuilds that are practically brand new as far as parts goes, with O rings that fail right away because it has been sitting?

I am fairly certain that the heads on my repower motor are good but I would hate to wake up to coolant in my antifreeze at some campground this summer. Checking these things will be expensive but not as expensive as their early failure would be.

Just trying to be proactive.

Rick

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 07:26:57 AM »

Rick, pressure test your system if they are good now they will be ok. 
The thing that kills the o-rings are the wrong type antifreeze, heat and some one installing with soap.
They will not get brittle with time DD has upgraded the o-rings for years to prevent that.

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 07:40:23 AM »

Thanks Clifford that puts my mind at ease a bit. I am on my way to Cummins to pick up an oil test kit I will be curious to see what they find.

My original post should have read:

I don't want to wake up with coolant in my oil not my antifreeze. I personally lean towards having coolant in my antifreeze, call me old fashioned Cheesy Grin

Rick

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: