Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 30, 2014, 11:14:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fender-bender in my bus  (Read 4916 times)
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2006, 12:20:55 AM »

I really like Nick's idea about rigging up a forward-facing camera for recording - there are lots of situations where that could be beneficial. I was already thinking of doing the same with my reversing camera, for use as a security camera when the bus is parked and I'm not there. If I can figiure out how to get one camera to record to disk, adding an extra camera on the front would be no bother at all.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2006, 04:18:14 AM »

Hey Casper, you forgot C. W. McCall  10-4  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Casper4104

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2006, 06:33:02 AM »

Ok Jack, let’s see how far I get.

In the dark of the moon on the 6th of June in a Kenworth, haulin’ logs.
A cabover Pete with a reefer on, and a Jimmy – haulin’ hogs.  We,,,, something.

I grew up in a trucking family.  My grandfather drove a 2-1/2 ton up the beach at Normandy, and then on across Europe.  Then he came home and used a GI loan to buy a dump truck.  When he and Granny were a young couple that dump was the only vehicle they had.  On Saturdays my Grandmother would put on her heels and pearls and go visitin’ and get groceries in the truck.  She wasn’t so good with mirrors, so she’d put the truck in reverse (reverse was really, really low), drop the clutch and climb out and stand of the running board where she could see to back up.  We have photos of her doing this.  She never hit anything, by the way.  (Another by the way – my Grandmother was a real hottie back then).  Pop retired with several million safe miles in ’83.  Prostate cancer got him in ’96.

My dad grew up riding shotgun in this and that, and when he was barely old enough he got a job delivering home heating oil.  Over his career he did a lot of jobs, but he always seemed to come back to driving.  He’d do something else for a while, but pretty soon he’d get that itch.  I never saw anyone enjoy their work so much – he just loved to climb up in that cab and go somewhere.  He was killed in an accident in December ’99 at the age of 52.  I miss him terribly.

My dad taught me jockey tractors around the lot on Saturdays when I was a kid.  One of my first jobs was washing trucks – I would check oil and a few other things, move the tractor to the bay and pressure wash it, look the interior over and sweep or vacuum if needed, move the tractor to the pumps and top up the fuel, and put her back.  I was 14 at the time.  My first real road miles were in an R-model Mack, and I did a lot of driving in my young adult years.  I do something else for a living now in the interest of sanity and marital continuity, but that truck thing never really leaves you.

When you grow up like that, Truckers in the news and on TV are heroes.  I loved Will and Sonny, BJ & the Bear, Snowman (from the Smokey & the Bandit movies), Big Joe & Phantom 309 & Teddy Bear and all those other Red Sovine characters.  We used to haul cowfeed out of Williamsburg VA up to the big dairy farms around Roanoke, and we’d listen to Big John Trimble on WRVA radio – broadcasting out of White’s truck stop in Raphine VA.

Awwww,  made ol’ Casper get a little misty for a second there.

If a half a hen lays a half an egg in a half a day - how long would it take a monkey with a wooden leg to kick the seeds out of a dill pickle?
Casper4104

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2006, 06:35:44 AM »

Oh yeah, and my FCC license was Sidekick - KAXE3821

If a half a hen lays a half an egg in a half a day - how long would it take a monkey with a wooden leg to kick the seeds out of a dill pickle?
D+C4106

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2006, 12:04:57 PM »

Casper,   In what city or town did this happen?     Denis
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2006, 08:56:46 AM »

Casper,
This post will never make the "important" list, but so far, nobody told me I should avoid writing "fluff" on this board...Just had to tell you I enjoyed reading about your grandmother, dad, and you at an early age.  Also found your mention of hauling feed to the big dairy farms in the Roanoke area.  Chances are that I know a couple of them from my early years.  Huffman, Jamison, and a few others.  Good readin".
Dennis
Hi Yo Silver!

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2006, 09:11:13 AM »

Let's see if I can do two posts in a row.  I should also mention that the major railroads use cameras on the diesel locomotives, primarily to monitor what they call "grade crossings" or RR crossings since these crossing accidents continue to plague the railroads and usually result in fatalities.  (It's nearly impossible to judge the speed of an approaching locomotive, but that's another story.) 

The system, called "Railview" I think, uses some type of continuous loop technology.  That's about all I know about it, but I'm sure we could learn more details from someone who is involved with it.

DEnnis
Hi Yo Silver!     

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
brojcol
Jimmy

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2006, 11:45:08 AM »

My dad taught me jockey tractors around the lot on Saturdays when I was a kid.  One of my first jobs was washing trucks – I would check oil and a few other things, move the tractor to the bay and pressure wash it, look the interior over and sweep or vacuum if needed, move the tractor to the pumps and top up the fuel, and put her back.  I was 14 at the time.  My first real road miles were in an R-model Mack, and I did a lot of driving in my young adult years.  I do something else for a living now in the interest of sanity and marital continuity, but that truck thing never really leaves you.

Man, you got me.  I worked one summer at Olen Burrage Trucking Company in Philadelphia, MS just before I went to College my Freshman year.  I was a truck washer and worked my way up to steam cleaner.  Got to ride shotgun to Jacksonville, FL with a grizzled veteran trucker.  One of the best times of my life!  The best thing about that nasty job was that when I was through washing the trucks, I could pull them around and park them.  Lots of memories.  Once you sit behind the wheel of a long nosed Freightliner, your really never the same.  I've often told my wife that if all else fails in my career, I could always drive a truck!  Honest work.

Jimmy

"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate
JerryH

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2006, 03:17:29 PM »

Also sorry about your incident.  I can't speak for your (that) area ... but I'd make a phone call to either (or both) the courthouse and/or DOT (although I do hate calling DOT) to confirm whether or not the ticket carries points.  If it does, I'd talk with the procecutor and see what they can do.  They might be able to go to a 'non-point' violation -- still requiring you to pay something.

"IF" it does carry points, I'd explore this option before a trial.  If you lose the trial and it carries points, the least of your worries will be the fine costs.  If the DA will offer nothing ... then go to trial and take a chance.  If the DA will do something, but you feel 100% "not at fault" ... and decide to take a chance on a court hearing.  You still might be S.O.L. if you lose.  I'd take a deal if one is presented, and eat the fine.  The gamble ... if points are involved ... ais too great.

Insurance companies care not about principle when they decide to raise your rates, or worse yet ... drop you.

Jerry H.
Rich (Prevost)

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2006, 01:30:29 PM »

Don't think of an accident as a BAD thing.............We have plenty of replacement parts. It can make for interesting stories, you can meet exciting new friends (Lawyers, the person you wrecked into, policemen, the salespeople at IBP, etc....), you can learn how to replace body panels on your coach (a trade we should all know)....etc.........We love the poles by sharp corners, large rocks covered by grass, the yellow poles in the Wal-Mart parking lots, tight campgrounds & guard rails, and our wives.

Rich
800-468-5287
Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2006, 01:47:01 PM »

We love the poles by sharp corners, large rocks covered by grass, the yellow poles in the Wal-Mart parking lots, tight campgrounds & guard rails, and our wives.

Rich, you must not have seen my recent thread... because you need to add houses to your list!

Cheesy Grin

bb

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
Christyhicks

1991 Beaver Prevost LeMirage XL

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2006, 04:21:50 PM »

Please Rich, tell me you didn't run over your WIFE!?! Grin  Christy Hicks

If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2006, 10:47:00 AM »

Casper - request a copy of the accident report - immediately set it for hearing - notice your insurance company NOT to settle any claims since you are fighting the ticket - Using YOUR state statutes and the STATE MV CODE, SUBMIT 'a corrected accident report' to the Law enforcement agency, states attorney,and court of jurisdiction - include in the 'corrected' accident report all the MV codes the 4 wheeler violated during and just prior to the accident along with pictures of the scene (use friends to 'pose' at the locations of other MV's or Pedestrians) and a diagram with measured distances from the pertinent reference points. You may wish to have your vehicle Inspected and Certified compliant with a brake application test and record of stopping distances. If you do a good job they'll probably dismiss the ticket  ..... or you can just pay the fine and let the Ins. company deal with it.

If are considering the former - you can Email me and I'll FAX you a copy of what I'm talking about as an example (It works) - FWIW

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
dogbone62

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2006, 02:17:46 PM »

In answer to the ideaabout the forward facing camera (this is my first post by the way). I have seen in some security catalogs hard disk digital recorders that record up to 900-1000 hrs before it loops. There were also tape based media butwe are trying to be up to date, right? And if you take the digital version into court the judge and jury if it gets that far will be impressed wyou for having the IQ to have something like that on a "bus". I believe we all have had someone who looked down on us for our passion for the bus but if we continue to show them our superiour intelligence then maybe one day they will start to get the message about the abilities and safety of these behomeths we love so.
                                   Be Blessed, Brian
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2006, 07:53:07 AM »

So far, I've only found one link to cameras such as is being discussed here at www.drivecam.com   but I am working with a friend who is much more oriented in this direction than I am.

Also, I plan to PM Jim Shepherd and bring his attention to this thread.  No doubt there will be enough interest generated to bring this up again perhaps in a new thread.

As for me, my bus will not move until I find some sort of system which will record all activity in front of the coach when it's moving.
Without question it will make a better driver of me as I plan to review it daily while on the road.

Bob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: