Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 23, 2014, 02:29:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: mileage operating cost  (Read 3424 times)
skihor

Ignore
« on: January 19, 2010, 01:30:45 PM »

Does anyone have any idea what it costs to operate a bus ? I'm looking for a total cost per mile figure, rather than try to figure out fuel+tires+engine rebuild cost++++
Thanks
Don&Sheila
DaveG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 01:50:45 PM »

How many miles a year do you expect to operate?
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 02:16:55 PM »

Insurance is fixed (600 yr)for 75000 stated valve towing(250) 500 dedictible on danage....fuel and oil and general maintance $1 a mile...engine rebuild etc is hard to estimate depends on miles on and usage after...its a scary number but weight it against air travel and motels and eating out all the time....I pay 500 a month in fla during winter and as low as 8.50 in a corp of engineers campground(a nite).the people you meet priceless...

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 02:22:26 PM »

I think around $1 a mile when fuel is $4 a gallon is fairly close for me.  Some years I only go 5,000 miles and other years I might do closer to 8,000 miles.  My fixed expenses are around $1,500 a year.

The more you use your bus the less it will cost per mile.  I am not including camping costs because that price can be all over the board.  Besides, I never stay in a campground.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 02:43:39 PM »

Some months I don't go anywhere, and I still sink money into the beast. Angry That's a tough one to calculate on a per mile basis. Maybe there's some kind of algorythm or new math that applies Huh
Good luck, Will

cody

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 03:22:44 PM »

What I stress when I'm stealing convert's, I mean discussing expenses over on the rv.board is not how much a mile a bus costs to operate but rather how much a year over a lifetime it saves by operating as opposed to S&S units, if you pay 500K for a S&S unit and keep it 5 years then sell it for 100K, you've spent 400K plus your fuel, etc. I tell them if you pay 20K for a bus and keep it for the rest of your life plus your childrens life, cost becomes a non-issue.
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 03:41:56 PM »

Great way to put it Cody!  Additionally, if you build it yourself, those payments to add up to say 20 grand get spread out over time.  As an operating expense, I figure about a buck a mile.  As for maintenance, I should be under 500 per year.

Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
skihor

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 04:00:03 PM »

I need to clarify. We have an opporitunity to use our bus for advertising. I need to figure out a per mile figure for general operation. and for billing purposes. Such as a tour bus or an over the road truck. I know companies use this info for estimating what it costs to run daily.
The IRS allows so many cents for mile for a car which is supposed to represent the total operating cost per mile.

Don & Sheila
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 04:33:51 PM by skihor » Logged
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 04:17:51 PM »

Don,

I use a spreadsheet that accounts for engine wear and tear (so many miles between major and minor overhauls), oil and filter changes, coolant, tires, etc. etc..  The biggest variable is fuel price per gallon; I plug in whatever I am paying at the pump, and it spits out my cost per mile (and also genny cost per hour).

At my last fill I paid $2.80 per gallon, and got $0.61 per mile from the spreadsheet.

I can send you the spreadsheet if you'd like, and you can adjust the figures to suit yourself.  For example, I use Transynd in my transmission, which costs more per change but gets changed less often, and my 48,000 lb coach eats expensive 12R22.5 tires faster than many.  The spreadsheet has "factors" for miles between oil changes, cost per change, etc. etc. that you can plug in.

If there is enough interest, I can upload it someplace where all can access (moderators: is there a way to do that here on the board?).

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
skihor

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 04:43:18 PM »

good stuff all. Sean, I would like to see your spreadsheet, and I think everyone would. We anticipate traveling 50K plus a year, so unlike many of us on this board rebuilds, tires, etc... will be more than most of the casual travelers.

Thanks

Don & Sheila
cody

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 05:57:23 PM »

72 1/2 cents a mile
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 07:23:46 PM »

Sean, if you would like you can email me the spreadsheet and I'll put it on the server and give you a link to it.  Then you can do a post explaining it and giving the link.  After it has had a few days publicity run on the main board, one of us can move it to the Technical Archives board to keep it easy to find.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 07:30:37 PM »

If I understand the IRS rules correctly, one can either deduct actual expenses or the per mile rate established by the IRS at least for regular passenger vehicles.  A bus is probably different as it certainly costs more than the IRS per mile rate to operate.

I assume you will be living aboard your bus so the IRS could look at your taxes more closely if you deduct expenses while also using the vehicle as a home.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 07:52:35 PM »

I need to clarify. We have an opporitunity to use our bus for advertising. I need to figure out a per mile figure for general operation. and for billing purposes. Such as a tour bus or an over the road truck. I know companies use this info for estimating what it costs to run daily.
The IRS allows so many cents for mile for a car which is supposed to represent the total operating cost per mile.

Don & Sheila

If you advertise on it, Then you will need to be commercial with all that is involved.
Commercial Liability Insurance, Inspections, CDL & everything else.

You need to do more research before adding signs...
Even with a S&S once a sign is on it, It's not a motorhome anymore.

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 07:56:02 PM »

Proably no use to you but Arrow leases their coaches for 500.00 a day for a 44 passenger coach with a 1.38 per mile for insurance and fuel plus if Arrow furnshes the driver it is 300.00 a day for him or her plus expenses.  

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 06:36:09 AM »

OK, folks, Mike has graciously loaded my spreadsheet onto the site; you can download it here:
http://www.busconversions.com/files/Per-Mile-Operating-Cost.xls

A few notes:

First off, this is something that I threw together just for myself a few years ago.  As such, it's nothing fancy, and probably not laid out and organized in the manner best suited for other people to use.  Before sending it to Mike, the only changes I made were to change a handful of abbreviations and words to make it more understandable, and formatting a few things to make the whole thing more readable.  There are no locked or protected cells, so be careful where you type.

Second, please understand that I did not sit down one day and come up with every possible contributing factor to the operating costs.  I took my best shot at it, and I have been adding items as they've come up for us; for example, we just did our first brake job, and I added the costs for that just yesterday.

Lastly, this is strictly variable operating cost.  Wear and tear is included in the sense that these items must be replaced periodically.  That said, overall depreciation on the value of the bus is not included, nor are insurance, registration, and other similar items that have a fixed annual cost.

How to use:

You will need either Microsoft Excel or Open Office Calc to open this.  It is in Excel's native format, but Calc will open it just fine;  Open Office is a free download from http://download.openoffice.org/ and is available for many platforms.

There are two pages; switch between them with the tabs at the bottom labeled "Driving" and "Generator".  One calculates the per-mile cost of driving the bus, the other calculates the per-hour cost of running the generator.  We only have one diesel tank, so this is set up to use the same per-gallon diesel price on both sheets; if you have a separate diesel tank for your genny, you will need to change the formula in A5 on the Generator sheet.

All the numbers on the top section of both pages are calculated by the spreadsheet.  These represent the cost, in dollars per mile (or hour), of each item, such as a lube/oil/filter change.  At the bottom of this column of numbers is the total overall cost per mile (or per hour) of driving the bus or running the genny.  I have bolded these numbers to make them stand out.

Once you've adjusted all the "factors" on both pages for your bus, you will mostly only ever change cell A20 on the "Driving" page.  This is where you enter the current price per gallon of diesel fuel; don't forget the trailing nine tenths of a cent (the sheet displays this value to the nearest whole cent, but uses the entire number for the calculations).

Your bus is different from mine, and probably how you maintain it is different as well, so you will probably need to change many of the numbers on the bottom part of each sheet.  For example, I know my generator, which is both enormous and ancient, burns 1.1 gallons per hour when running.  Yours probably burns less, and you would enter this number in A19 on the Generator page.  We change our main engine oil per DD recommendations every 15,000 miles, and the full service with oil, oil filters, fuel filters, and chassis lube that we do at that interval has been running an average of $400, so these numbers are in A23 and A22 respectively on the driving page.  We also use synthetic tranny fluid so our numbers for change interval and cost per gallon are likely different than yours; the spreadsheet also accounts for the size of the transmission sump which may also be different.  You get the idea: change whatever factors you need to match your own situation.

I hope some folks find this useful.  If anything doesn't make sense, or you find a mistake or major omission, post here and I will see about updating the sheet.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 06:45:45 AM by Sean » Logged

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2010, 08:12:27 AM »

Thanks, Sean. You are da man. That spreadsheet is great.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
johns4104s

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2010, 02:01:44 PM »

Sean,

Thanks for sharing your calc sheets, they will be very helpful.

John
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 02:38:05 PM by HighTechRedneck » Logged
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2010, 02:39:26 PM »

I split the discussion of driver pay out to its own thread because in time this thread will be getting put in the Technical Archive board to make it handy for anyone to find.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: