Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 02, 2014, 09:34:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Costs of employing professional bus drivers  (Read 4438 times)
Nellie Wilson

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2010, 12:21:12 AM »

Nusa -

Don't know you from a bar of soap... but Amen on all counts.

Who could possibly give a crap, except for the driver and employer... or the employer/ driver.

Sheesh.

Nellie Wilson

Had to change a tire... Angry  got to put it on backward... Undecided  still trying to fix it on photoshop... Huh Roll Eyes Huh
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2010, 05:30:15 AM »

about $20 per person,  each person(mostly) couldn't drive all day for less than that in gasoline.  Not to mention the savings on pollution of all those vehicles, 

Bussing saves money and the environment. Smiley

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
cody

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2010, 06:09:28 AM »

I'd like to take a moment to take note that in one of the biggest economic downturns that this country has seen in many years, when companies all over the place are going belly up, BK is expanding and buying more buses, he's hired more drivers and they are busy, forgive me if I'm naive but what does that indicate?  To me it may mean that they are doing something right? Could it be that they know what they are doing?  LIke many here I've ran companies, owned small companies and still do, money is a pretty elusive comoditiy at times, to suceed when conditions are at their worse tells me that they know what they are doing and if they say someting in regards to business, perhaps a wise person would listen to it, I know I would, I'm never too old to learn.
Christyhicks

1991 Beaver Prevost LeMirage XL

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2010, 06:56:27 AM »

I tried to stay out of this argument, discussion, but I can't resist throwing a few of my 2 cents in.

We run a small business also. . . and there were many years early on when we worked night and day building it, not pulling in much profit because we, too, were rolling the money back into the business buying tools, vehicles, etc.  This went on for a while, but eventually we got to the point where we could hire, and we added guys one at a time.

IMHO, it would be pretty stupid, much less unfair to our customers and to our guys, to try to run the business and not make a profit.  Running a business into the ground is turning our back on our customers, and on our employees.  The customers have built this business, they trust us, they rely on us, they send their friends and family to us, they NEED us.  Our employees have been great.  They work hard, they are dependable, kind, they take care of the customers, they have BUILT this business.  They have families to support, house payments, car payments, they NEED this job and they NEED us to make sure it's there for them.

If I'm not careful, if I don't make sure we make enough money to "carry" us through the slow times, if I don't keep the insurance and comp and taxes paid, well, I've let everyone down who is relying on us.  I've got to have money to replace tools and vehicles too. 

If someone wants to run a business as a hobby and not make profit, they don't help anyone much, because it's not permanently sustainable at that.  No profit means no taxes paid to help support schools, roads, infrastructure, etc.  No profit means no "pad" for downturns in the economy.  No profit means no extra purchases or spending to "spread it around".  Running a business as a non-profit, hobby, hurts legitimate businesses who plan on being around for the long term, as they have to try to compete with someone who doesn't want to or doesn't know HOW to turn a profit, and will eventually fold or sell out.  Then we are left to pick up the pieces, take care of warranty issues, finish the jobs they started, etc. 

FINAL WORD:  Remember the old term, "American Way"  The  American Way stood for the freedom to make your own way, including to start a business, make a reasonable profit, expand and grow, employ others and BUILD this country.  Small businesses turning a profit and growing truly are a prime example of "The American Way." 

Ok, off my soap box Embarrassed  Christy Hicks

If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2010, 07:14:57 AM »

Well said Christy for years if I made a 5% net profit I was a happy camper there were a ton of risks for that 5% like the bonding co owning your first born.
 Looking back now I would have kept my business under 10 million a year and became a minority contractor more tax breaks and more profit for a business under 10 mil gross

good luck
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 07:25:04 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2010, 08:44:10 AM »

Why do we always seem to think it necessary to include little digs on Obama, China, Reid and others. Seems there are never comments any about our boy Bush who got us into this mess in the first place. Wonder why that is, could there actually be "Fox" fair and balanced in play here?

Or could it be because the current administration has apparently declared war against small and medium-sized businesses of all types, to an extent never seen before?  His definition of "wealthy" includes family farmers, truck drivers and people who own tanning salons, because he considers ALL assets when deciding how rich someone is, including home, cars, medical equipment (and prosthetic limbs!), tools, business stock AND ALL LOANS.

Only ONE IN TWELVE of his Cabinet, advisors, "czars" etc have any experience in running a business, except for jobs as kids.

Government ovehead is a legitimate issue when discussing the amount that a bus company charges, because every penny that goes to the gvernment comes from the consumer.

I used to own a semi.  My truck payment was less than the operating expenses, and that was back when fuel was $1.50 per gallon.  I hear that the Federal taxes on trucks (and probably commercial coaches) have DOUBLED in the past year (and they were already too high).  Last I heard, Bush has been out of office this past year, so who should we blame . . .Mickey Mouse?
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2010, 09:58:22 AM »

Quote from: gus
Why do we always seem to think it necessary to include little digs on Obama, China, Reid and others. Seems there are never comments any about our boy Bush who got us into this mess in the first place. Wonder why that is, could there actually be "Fox" fair and balanced in play here?

Quote from: BG6
Bush has been out of office this past year, so who should we blame . . .Mickey Mouse?

I think it he (Obama) may be GOOFY! Wink
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2010, 11:00:55 AM »

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Shocked Roll Eyes Grin,Ruthi

Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!
Nellie Wilson

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2010, 01:21:39 PM »

BK -

By "Goofy," do you mean his state of mind, or do you mean he's actually that 'person?'

Which gets me to wondering: Did he and Mickey ever make up? ; Wink

Nellie

Had to change a tire... Angry  got to put it on backward... Undecided  still trying to fix it on photoshop... Huh Roll Eyes Huh
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2010, 01:40:43 PM »

No, it's just the big ears. Cheesy

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2010, 06:01:29 PM »

Nusa,

You won't ever find a post from me that isn't a response to some off the wall right wing political post by another poster.

Someone needs to respond to these cheap digs, 99% of which are not true, to show that not all bus nuts are right wingers. (Well, I sure hope that's true!!)

Now we're getting more childish by making fun of Obama's looks and personality. These are not funny, they are slurs. I don't remember any of this while Bush was in office.

My whole point is that this adolescent stuff does not belong on this board and you will never find it initiated by me.

It would be really nice if posters could comment just on buses without all these slurs, but some don't seem to be able to do that.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2010, 06:55:43 AM »

Gus, just so as you know, you are not alone, I just keep out of the politics thing on this board as it's one area that I don't find  edifying here. 

Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2010, 09:55:17 AM »

We do have an Off Topic section where we can all display our ignorance and crackpot ideas.  Maybe this thread has passed the point when it should have been moved. 

You don't have to believe everything you think.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2010, 04:39:14 PM »

ZZ and Lin,

Nothing would make me happier than to see an end to these silly posts so we can stick to buses.

Buses are the one thing we all agree on!!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: