Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 29, 2014, 12:00:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scenicruiser Repower with Cummins ISL  (Read 4169 times)
scenicruiser997

Owner of two Scenicruisers and one PD4905 Buffalo

Ignore
« on: January 21, 2010, 09:35:32 AM »

Well, how come when you have time to work on the bus you have no money, but when you have the money you never have the time.  I recently bought a PD-4501 #997 Third from the last built, seated bus that had been setting in a barn for the last 25 years with no motor or transmission.  I also have #372 that I bought a two years ago that was stripped shell but had a running 8V71 with a 4 speed splicer.   You might have seen it on youtube.  After much thought about just jerking the 8V71 out of #372, I ran across this local C-list ad.

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/rvs/1559363251.html

complete drivetrain out of a 2002 American Eagle Coach. This includes a 400 horsepower Cummins ISL engine, Allison automatic transmission and Eaton rearend (Air Ride). All are still mounted to the frame rails and were removed as an assembly. All computer accessories and wiring are intact and go with it. This drive train had approximately 60k miles when the interior of the Coach was burnt, none of the drivetrain was touched.
Bad thing is the guy wants $4500.00  Reading over older post this would seem to be a good package for the old cruiser.  But as I stated earlier, with no extra business right now, means I have to cut all spending to help keep my business going.   So if any one else out there whats to take a shot at this go for it, or you could just donate a package engine and transmission for the cause of helping to put one more seated scenicruiser back on the road. Thanks for letting me vent.

Aaron
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 10:05:22 AM »

997, Thanks for the link. I just got off the phone with him. Hoping to get some pics from him. I will post when I get them. The down side only 8.9 liter.  Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 10:14:13 AM »

Thats is a India or China built Cummins 

good luck

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
Tom Y

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 10:27:25 AM »

India or China? That would be BAD.  Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
scenicruiser997

Owner of two Scenicruisers and one PD4905 Buffalo

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 11:47:20 AM »

WOW! Did not know that LUVRBUS.   Maybe back to the drawing board looking for a M11 or L10
I see there is a guy in ALTAMONT, NY selling 3  CUMMINS M11 ENGINES WITH ALLISON HT 740RS TRANSMISSIONS, 2  CUMMINS L10 ENGINES ALLISON HT 740RS TRANSMISSSIONS for $2000.00 a piece on Ebay.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 11:50:09 AM by scenicruiser997 » Logged

Aaron
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 12:12:57 PM »

I don't quite know how Luvrbus knows that the engine is built outside of U.S-what's the difference?  It is built to Cummins specs.  The ISL is a great choice for bus conversion-it is about 500lb lighter then the 8V-71 and can use the smaller (read cheaper) 3000 Series Allison.  You're not going to find a cheaper deal for a complete engine/transmission-especially if it has all the electronics.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 01:42:54 PM »

TomC it pretty easy if you read the tag on the block there is a 2001 Fleetwood Eagle for sale in my neighbor hood for sale with that engine. FWIW all the 8.3 and 8.9 were built in India or China

good luck
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 01:47:10 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 02:36:21 PM »

You know, the rear axle is probably 102", might complicate a swap.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 04:21:50 PM »

I wouldn't trust anything built in India or China even if it had a Cummins nameplate on it. They may have been built to specs on the insdie, but I'll bet the quality of materials and workmanship looks terrible. The quality of steel is not anywhere near ours, they don't have the high quality of raw materials.

IMHO

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
DaveG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 04:34:38 PM »

It is becoming a global economy...kinda hard to stay away from import stuff.
Len Silva

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 07:00:40 AM »

I would not yet trust a lot of products from China, but keep your eye on them.

The first Toyotas and Datsuns imported in the late sixties were junk, now they compete for best in the world.  The first Korean imports were also junk, but more highly regarded every day.

I just read where more cars were sold in China last year than in the U.S..

Communist China is well on the way to a world takeover and they won't be using guns to do it.  Much of their takeover will be highly subsidized by American corporations.

Hand Made Gifts

Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 07:32:34 AM »

I would not yet trust a lot of products from China, but keep your eye on them.

The first Toyotas and Datsuns imported in the late sixties were junk, now they compete for best in the world.  The first Korean imports were also junk, but more highly regarded every day.

Absolutely. I really hate it when people dismiss 'foreign junk' without considering that it was those same prejudices in the past that allowed Western manufacturing to stagnate whilst the 'foreign junk' became the world class products of today.

I happened to see a TV advert just this morning advertising a certain Korean car manufacturer offering 7 year warranties on it's products. Name one Western auto maker that can match that.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Tom Y

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2010, 10:46:11 AM »

Here it is.  Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
Tom Y

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2010, 10:56:47 AM »

Sorry about the double pics. I tried to post another but file is to large? The guy bought this for the wheels and tires.  Said width at tires is 96"  Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
Len Silva

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 08:04:58 AM »

Now it looks like the All American Hummer is going to be built by the Chinese Sichuan Tengzhong Heavy Industrial Machinery Company.

Hand Made Gifts

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: