Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 23, 2014, 07:26:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scenicruiser Repower with Cummins ISL  (Read 4274 times)
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2010, 10:07:59 AM »

You should probably be glad they actually want to buy it legally now, rather than simply producing copies as in the past.

(I do realise these are copies of Hum-Vees rather than Hummers, but you get my point)

Jeremy
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 10:10:26 AM by Jeremy » Logged

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2010, 01:15:54 PM »

Hey 997, just want to add some thoughts.

If you are thinking about an engine conversion you might want to contact Bus Conversion Mag and pick up the 4 issues with my article on the subject.  That will give you a feel for the size of the project and things you should think about.

I don't know what the weight of a Scenicruiser conversion, but it is a big bus and I would think you could hit 36K pretty easy and maybe more.  If that is the case, the ISL would be a bit marginal.  The 400HP sounds good, but the torque is 1200.  Most Eagle folks go to the ISM with the 1550 torque and I doubt they would want to go any smaller.  Several of us went with the Series 60 and are glad that we did.

The package you are looking at is a pretty good price if that is a World (6 speed transmission) - did not take the time to look.  But again, it would not be a world beater on the big hills and you would be working the engine pretty hard under many normal conditions.

You can stick most any engine in that bus. This summer I saw one with a Huge CAT 3408 and 15 speed transmission.  Last year in Quartzsite I saw a beautiful installation with a Series 60.

For my money, you would be much better served to use one of the large four stroke engines.  Lots of folks favor the Series 60s but the CAT and Cummins are fine as well. 

However, if you go this route, you should go with the correct gearing.  I cover that in some detail.  You will want to run those engines at about 1300-1500 RPM at your typical cruise speed.  That dictates a transmission with an overdrive or changing the rear end gears to something like 2.7-2.9 (would require a different truck rear end) if you go with a non-overdrive transmission.

An engine conversion is going to take about the same amount of work regardless of the engine, so you might just as well get the best engine for your application.

Jim

One other quick thought.  I don't think you can put Jakes on the ISL. On the big engines, you will find most of them come equipped that way.  If you ever plan to drive in CO or some other state with big "hills", you should have them.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 01:24:53 PM by rv_safetyman » Logged

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
scenicruiser997

Owner of two Scenicruisers and one PD4905 Buffalo

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2010, 01:56:42 PM »

Jim, Thank you for this good information.  As for the Cat powered Scenic, It belongs to a fellow bus nut here in Tulsa.  When I saw your article come out, I jumped on the phone and called Greg.  He didn't even know that you used a picture of his bus in the article. He was under the bus repairing the transmission that he blew in Kansas on the way back to Tulsa.   Greg wanted me to see if I could get him a copy of your article or an extra copy of the mag.  to show off.  I am trying to twist his arm to join the big group of Scenicruisers this April in Texas for the 2010 Hounds of the Motherroad Get-together in Amarillo, TX. 

Aaron
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2010, 04:03:19 PM »

Tell Greg that I had a great time chatting with him at Bonneville.  I would have loved to have gotten a ride in that beast.  As I recall, he even had an Eagle part in the shifting mechanism Cheesy

I have the Scenicruiser event on my calendar (4/8-9).  Probably will not be able to make it, but it is sure fun to think about going and hiding in the back corner with my Eagle.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2010, 06:30:10 PM »

One thing to note- the original 8V-71 with 65 injectors puts out 300hp and 800lb/ft torque.  Graduating to the ISL with 400hp and 1200lb/ft torque is 50% more power!  Course, a Series 60 at 515hp and 1650lb/ft torque is much nicer at twice the power.

On a new note-our Freightliner trucks with 2010 engines (with Urea exhaust fluid injection) is available with a DD15 rated at 530hp and 1850lb/ft torque-approved at 80,000lbs for the Allison 4000HS.  That would be a great performer.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2010, 08:28:33 PM »

A friend in FL stripped out the luggage racks & seats out of his Scenicruiser & then weighed it before adding his conversion stuff. The shell weight was 25,000 pounds.

The stock empty weight (with seats) is less than 30,000 pounds.

Less weight per available HP = more fun to drive.  Grin

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: