Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
February 25, 2018, 03:55:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at (657) 221-0432 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Exhaust woes  (Read 1450 times)
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« on: January 22, 2010, 08:18:35 PM »

Now I'm tackling the exhaust leaks (thats plural guys!). Air leaks and exhaust leaks drive me up the wall. Not having done this on a bus I really have not any idea of what is what. The parts book has no pic of what to expect so I ordered some stuff from Luke to help me out. Wish I had ordered more!! But I did get the sleeve and seal rings along with the 2 clamps to the y collector. I already had the crossover tube gaskets. My sleeve wasn't leaking but was cracked in several places and I figured disturbing it would result in me needing it. I had no idea what the 3 seal rings were but ordered them also. Turned out to be a wise guess but they are $59 apiece. I wish I had also ordered the lower elbow but I can manufacture that. The muffler is junk. She's been patched up, cobbled on and is long overdue for the scrap heap. There really isn't anything left inside it and I'm going to make my own (maybe a u shaped straight pipe!). Cleaning the y collector to accept the new seal rings and sleeve has been a joy but it'll work. Was I the one saying he enjoyed working on old busses?

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
Nellie Wilson

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 09:32:34 PM »

Chopper -

Yuck. Doesn't sound the kind of work that's much 'fun.'

Just a thought: A fellow 'loiter' here at Jack's put twin pipes and (automotive) glass packs on his GMC. Looks cool and sounds just great! A real throwback to that 50s and 60s hot rod era (I wasn't around then, but have heard enough stories  Smiley).

He says it was heaps cheaper than replacing bus parts. And doing something like that might actually be kinda fun?

Nellie Wilson

Had to change a tire... Angry  got to put it on backward... Undecided  still trying to fix it on photoshop... Huh Roll Eyes Huh
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 06:31:40 AM »

As usual I probably went the hard knox route but it's where I graduated from!! Getting the sleeve with the new rings over the y connector was a small challange and I could see where a ring compressor would be handy. It's just that it would have to be 5" in circumference and only 2" wide. Even thought of trying an oil filter wrench but they weren't big enough. Finally a little patience, a small hammer and punch and an extra set of hands and I got it together. I also built a J pipe and exited it out the side to replace the muffler. Started it up and it sounds the same. The muffler wasn't anything but a hollow and leaky tube anyways! I think that puts me into double digits on things to do. 99 left!!

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 04:31:41 PM »

I installed mufflers from JCW when my OEMs failed. They are smaller, so easier to install, and much, much cheaper. I had to do a small amount of welding but that was no biggie.

However, I have a 4104 with 671. I don't know what bus you have so I may be of no help to you.

Must be pretty cold up there these days!!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: