Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 22, 2014, 04:09:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who's on I-85? Saw Three Conversions Today.  (Read 2885 times)
NJT5047

Ignore
« on: January 23, 2010, 04:36:09 PM »

Terri and I were headed down I-85S today and passed a GM...maybe a 4104, with a red stripe around it.  This one was just outside Charlotte headed into Gastonia.  Had TN reg. 

Later stopped in a Pilot at exit 90 in Gaffney, SC for fuel and saw an MC9 or maybe a 102 sitting in the parking lot.   White with a black mask.   Headed over for a chat but the  bus pulled out while I was fueling up.   Bummer!
Passed a southbound white eagle with gold graphics...maybe flames, around Spartenburg or Gaffney.
Good day for bus'n! 

Pretty good day for buying another dog too...one just wouldn't do, so now we got his-n-hers.  They look like salt and pepper shakers. 
We'll bring'em to a rally this spring for a proper introduction.   Reckon the April SE Bus Nuts Palmetto Cove event will be about the right time to de-mothball the bus.   

I've been a little occupied with a 'toy' airplane.  Bought a 'lightly' damaged Challenger II CW E-LSA and have been working on that over the winter.  I'll be very lucky indeed it it ever leaves the shop...even more lucky if it ever flies again!   Oh well, idle minds...  Shocked   Wink
We'll be back to bus'n once the weather warms up...and dries up.   It's either way too cold or way too wet!

Cheers, JR and Terri

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
gus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 04:46:53 PM »

I have a 4104 with a red stripe but was nowhere near I85 today!!

You are fortunate, I often travel 3 -5000mi and never see a bus even though I see loads of SS?

I probably have seen no more than a dozen on the road since I became a nut in '06.

I, too, have an LSA, an Aeronca 7AC, but it is in good flying condition. Almost as much fun as a bus!!

What does CW mean? That sure is a tiny thing, makes my little Champ look big! I thought it was classified as an ultralight?

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Charles in SC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 05:12:46 PM »

JR, good luck on the plane project, I am building an RV-7. I have been on it about 3 years. Maybe 2 more:)

S8M 5303 built in 1969, converted in 2000
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 06:05:39 PM »

Hello Gus and Charles,  an RV-7...very nice!   I doubt I'd live long enough to complete such a project.   Are you going to use a Mazda RX8 for power?  Isn't there a rotary powered RV-7 in Florida?   I'd like to see your plane sometime.   What I really want is a Glasair, but that ain't ever gonna happen.    Cry
Gus, a CWII is a little smaller in comparison to a 7AC.   A Champ has much more wingspan.    A Challenger II CW is about 20' long (with fiberglass nose) and 27' wing.   Empty weight is just under 400 lbs with panel, electric starter, and 10 gallon fuel tank.   "CW" is 'clipped wing' version...the standard wing span is about 31'...clipped wings vary between 26 and 29'.  Depends on wingtips.  CW models fly a little faster...cruise about '85, Ne 120.   The big difference is rate of climb.   The rate of climb with just my skinny a$$, depending on density, is up to 1400'.   Cruise is about the same as a Champ.   The Champ has serious edge in range.  Oh well.   Wanna drag-race?   
A pleasant surprise was the low cost of Challenger factory formed aluminum parts.   "Real" (certified) aircraft parts are made from unobtainium.  Sorta like bus parts!
Once owned a half interest in an 11AC.   Couldn't afford to properly maintain it then.   We flew it until it was dangerous and I gave my 'share' to my partner.   MUCH cheaper. 
Unlike certified aircraft, I can maintain this Challenger without an A&P.   It falls into Amateur Built Experimental LSA. 
And, while not as 'STOL' as a long-wing, I can fly (safely  Wink ) out out of my horse pasture of a little over 1000'.   Short field ability really limits most 'affordable' aircraft.   In a 10 kt headwind, they go up like a helicopter.   
A nice 7AC is a cool airplane.   Where are you located Gus?   
Even if the Challenger never leaves the barn...once Terri saw the plane she started talking about the Prevost that I never had.  Now she's thinking that the Prevost might be preferable to an airplane.   There will be benefits from this project...one way or another!   Roll Eyes
Now, reckon who was in those buses today?  I've seen the white MCI and the Eagle either on one of the bus boards or in person.  Cannot remember where.   Thought of Jon, but the MCI had Alcoa wheels...pretty sure...?

JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
john9861

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 07:55:15 AM »

JR,
       I'm extending an invite for you, the Mrs. & the children (salt & pepper) to join us in mid Mar. at Santee State park. Check us out in the Calendar section. Then we'll all turn around & go to Palmetto in April.

John Mellis
Bowman, SC
1982 Eagle Model 10 6V92TA Auto
It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years...
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 11:05:56 AM »

Weren't me Smiley

lotsa Gospel groups around that have buses but are not busnuts

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
gus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 04:25:54 PM »

NR,

I'm in the hills of N AR. My strip on my farm is 900'. I also have a longer one of 1100' I use when the winds require.

Your climb rate is about 1000fpm more than mine!! If I wanted speed I would never have bought a Champ!!

RVs amaze me, they defy all the rules by being both short field and fast, but they are too expensive for me.  If I had money I wouldn't be driving a 4104!!

There really is no problem getting Champ parts, I can't think of any except the fuel valve that aren't available and that can be worked around.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
4104GA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 07:51:08 PM »

I have found 4104 parts easier to find than wings for a champ

Enjoy your ride
gus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 10:19:14 PM »

I'm pretty sure you can find any wing part you need from one of the major suppliers, and, for that matter, complete wings.

There are many sources for spars since the spar AD a few years ago.

I really haven't had much trouble finding parts for either the 4104 or 7AC.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 10:16:55 AM »

JR,
       I'm extending an invite for you, the Mrs. & the children (salt & pepper) to join us in mid Mar. at Santee State park. Check us out in the Calendar section. Then we'll all turn around & go to Palmetto in April.

Thanks for the invite John, we just may be able to do that.  Already have gigs scattered on Fridays and Saturdays in March, April, and May.  That sorta screws with some of my weekends.   
Santee ain't that fer a piece from here! 

JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

Ayn Rand
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 10:18:24 AM »

JR,
   Are ya'll gonna make the SE Busnuts rally at Palmetto Cove in April?  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 10:20:45 AM »

Weren't me Smiley

lotsa Gospel groups around that have buses but are not busnuts

How can anyone owning a bus not be a "BusNut?".... Smiley

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

Ayn Rand
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 10:28:26 AM »

JR,
   Are ya'll gonna make the SE Busnuts rally at Palmetto Cove in April?  Jack

Hi Jack, we have Palmetto Cove on the calendar.  Planning on being there.   
The only Palmetto Cove gathering that we miss is July 4 because it conflicts with Red, White, and Bluegrass in Morganton, NC.   I'd rather go to the Cove, but Anita and Terri have decided otherwise....SWMBO has decreed!
Hope you and Paula are coming up?  Not sure what T's work holds for that week, at worse,  I'll come up on Wed or Thursday and she'll come up on Friday.     

JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

Ayn Rand
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 10:40:08 AM »

[/quhttp://www.aircraftspruce.com/ote]

New Champ parts are everywhere....especially wing parts.  just takes $$$$$$$$.  Shocked

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/
http://store.wagaero.com/index.php?cPath=37_231

JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

Ayn Rand
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 10:49:57 AM »

Hi Jack, we have Palmetto Cove on the calendar.  Planning on being there.   
The only Palmetto Cove gathering that we miss is July 4 because it conflicts with Red, White, and Bluegrass in Morganton, NC.   I'd rather go to the Cove, but Anita and Terri have decided otherwise....SWMBO has decreed!
Hope you and Paula are coming up?  Not sure what T's work holds for that week, at worse,  I'll come up on Wed or Thursday and she'll come up on Friday.     
JR

We plan to be there, but, of course, life is what happens while we make plans LOL.  We might even be interested in staying at your place for a day or 2.  I want to go the US National Whitewater Center while we are in the Charlotte area.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2010, 05:43:50 PM »

NR,

I'm in the hills of N AR. My strip on my farm is 900'.

Gus,

I used to fly in & out of Drake Field about 10 years ago while working in Fayetteville, any where close to you ?

Gary

Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 06:48:58 AM »

We plan to be there, but, of course, life is what happens while we make plans LOL.  We might even be interested in staying at your place for a day or 2.  I want to go the US National Whitewater Center while we are in the Charlotte area.  Jack

That would be great Jack!   We're about 30-40 minutes from the white water facility.   Easy ride. 
I'll leave the light on for you!

JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

Ayn Rand
gus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2010, 07:52:21 PM »

Gary,

Nope, I'm in north central AR, about 15 air miles from MO.

I fly out of my pasture, much prefer grass.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: