Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 27, 2014, 12:04:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Donner pass...snow...we sure pick them right...lol  (Read 5594 times)
DaveG

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2010, 08:49:52 AM »

We are setting out for Donner pass, tomorrow at 8am. It looks like we will have to chain up. We just talked with our buddy at the CHP, and he said that they want to see chains on BOTH tires of the duels. He said buses too Sad.

Plus, we need to have chains on the tag, but we are not a commercial vehicle, so we might not have to do that...We have cable chains, and regular heavy duty old chains. So we can do the tag and one outer drive. Problem is, we don't have chains for the duels Sad. We were going to get them...but...we were told we didn't need them Wink.

So here are my questions. Does anybody know of an actual CA exemption for us to not have to put chains on both tires of the duels? Where can we buy chains for the duels, in the northwest portion of Sacramento on Sunday? And any other tips?

Thanks.

God bless,

John

The old 49'r truck stop would be my first thought
Ray D

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2010, 09:24:03 AM »

Snow is not predicted on the pass till this afternoon.  It is not raining at the bottom in the valley yet, you should have plenty of time to get over.  I checked the cameras on 80 and traffic is moving well.  If you do hit snow (as it can change fast) you  can simply turn around.  The CHP will give you that option before it gets too bad.

Ray D
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2010, 09:27:08 AM »

In 21 years and 1.3 million miles of driving cross country truck, I NEVER chained up.  If chains were required, I waited till they weren't.  I always carried cable chains (because of their light weight), but never came out of their boxes.  I had to wait 2 days one time in Wyoming (Wyoming wisely just shuts down the highway when chains are required), but that was the only time.  Mostly, the next day is blazingly bright and beautiful.
Donner is a nasty pass when it is dry.  Please don't push your luck.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2010, 09:58:50 AM »

Thanks for the advice, guys. We will "push" things a bit, and proceed without a set of chains for the duals. We are hoping we don't have to chain up, but we will see.

We will get a full set of duals, as soon as we can.

BW, good advice. We have the bungee's for the outside, and I like your advice about painting the points.

Nellie, we are on a schedule, but we aren't in a rush going this direction. That is why we are heading up when it looks like we have the best chance of getting over without chaining up.

Cody, great ideas...lol.

Ruthi, thank you for your concern. We will take it slow, and careful. That is the "joy" of winter driving.

DaveG, yup, the 49'r was the one that I called, but they are quite a ways south. We will try to pick up a set in Reno.

Ray, we should be over the pass by then, Lord willing. After that, it is Tuesday that we are coming back. I hope there is a break for us then. We will stay in contact with our buddy at the CHP, and see what he says.

TomC, we will follow your advice, whenever possible Wink.

Thanks again for the concern and advice. It is very appreciated!

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2010, 10:40:16 AM »

Thanks, guys. I missed the "if possible" part. I doubt that it will be "possible."

Anyways, we are on a schedule. We have the wiggle room going over the pass, but we have to come back over on Tuesday.

If you are coming back, why take the coach?  Have you ever BEEN over Donner?  If you are only going to Reno, rent a car and get a motel room.  You will be a lot happier and actually save money over buying chains and paying to have them installed.

My rule is that I only chain when someone will be seriously harmed if I don't.  If there is any other alternative (including "just plain don't go") I will take that.

Having gone over Donner both ways on Friday, I can tell you that there is NO WAY that I would take my coach there this week.  I had a 4WD and didn't have any trouble, but saw way too many accidents and injuries to risk it with 30,000 lbs on 8 tires.  I saw one accident where a jerk in a pickup tried to make a lane change, slid out and hit the median, then took out a semi (putting the semi driver in the hospital).
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2010, 10:43:32 AM »

would one be best advised to look for chain chains or cable chains? 

Chain chains provide a lot more traction and are more durable.

Cable chains are easier to put on and to carry.

If the objective is to meet the letter of the law, use cables.  If the objective is to actually GET THERE, use chains.
John316

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2010, 10:46:29 AM »

Thanks, BG6. We really don't have any other option but to take the coach. And I do feel comfortable installing the chains.

We will see how it goes...

God bless,

John

BG6

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2010, 10:48:35 AM »

Chains? Cables? Steak sauce? All great advice!

Just FYI, the steak sauce is a joke.  Look up "Donner Party," for whom the pass and lake are named.
John316

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2010, 11:27:25 AM »

We are over Donner Pass, right now. We stopped for a second, so I thought I would update you all.

That pass wasn't a big deal. It was snowing, and somewhat icy, but overall we have been in much worse. So this direction was okay...Tuesday? That could be interesting, but I don't anticipate any issues.

Thanks again.

God bless,

John

desi arnaz

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2010, 11:49:31 AM »

did he ever say if he was going east or west?

thomas f  Bethlehem n.h
John316

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2010, 12:11:13 PM »

We just went East...Tuesday we will be going West.

God bless,

John

Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2010, 04:39:12 PM »

Quote from: desi arnaz
did he ever say if he was going east or west?

Yes as a matter of fact he did!

Quote from: John316
We are setting out for Donner pass, tomorrow at 8am. It looks like we will have to chain up. We just talked with our buddy at the CHP, and he said that they want to see chains on BOTH tires of the duels. He said buses too Sad.
Where can we buy chains for the duels, in the northwest portion of Sacramento on Sunday? And any other tips?

Thanks.
God bless,
John

And then again!

DaveG, yup, the 49'r was the one that I called, but they are quite a ways south. We will try to pick up a set in Reno.
John

And then YES in answer to you asking again.

We just went East...Tuesday we will be going West.
John

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
desi arnaz

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2010, 05:33:12 PM »

sorry i didint pick it up.....

thomas f  Bethlehem n.h
Ray D

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2010, 06:04:04 PM »

Ya get a Busted Knuckle for that.....
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2010, 06:10:31 PM »

FWIW, my first choice would be the coach in a snowstorm over any smaller vehicle.

Coach spells stable footing.

Pretty much impossible to disrupt your path of travel, snow drifts and rutting will disrupt a sport ute.

Everything stops relatively the same in the snow.

the ONLY condition that a coach is tricky is ice, time to park, but then , so will be the rest of them.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: