Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 28, 2014, 05:12:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Donner pass...snow...we sure pick them right...lol  (Read 5859 times)
Just Dallas
Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2010, 06:18:34 PM »

Removed
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 01:27:42 PM by Now Just Dallas » Logged

I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.
Ray D

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2010, 08:18:50 PM »

Yeh, right, trains can't even stay on their tracks on the feather river canyon.....

Ray D
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2010, 11:20:40 PM »

John -

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

"Don't waste your hard-earned $$$ on chains to fit your duals"

CalTrans knows, as does the CHP, that it's extremely difficult to chain the duals on intercity buses.  That's why the CalTrans website pointed out earlier the "if possible" for bus chain requirements.

I talked to a friend of mine yesterday who's a dispatcher for a charter outfit in the SF Bay area - he told me that they only chain the outside dual on their Prevosts, and haven't had any problems getting thru when chains are required.

While you're in Reno, why don't you call Amador Stages's and ask them?  They're actually based in Sacramento, and run over the hill daily, year-round.  775-324-4444 is the local number for the Reno office, be sure to ask for dispatch when they answer. 

As for the weather, the forecast is for heavy snow at Truckee on Monday, with snow showers on Tuesday, cloudy Wednesday.  Translation - leave Reno about 1330 - 1400.  That will be near the tail end of the weather front, so 80 should be open w/o restrictions.  Departing in the early afternoon should put you into Sacratomato somewhere between 1700 - 1730, considering the reduced speeds you'll be traveling over Donner.

Dallas's suggestion to take 70 thru the Feather River Canyon is also a good one, altho it's roughly 90 miles and 2.5 hours longer.  Often, it's the only way over the Sierras from Reno when I-80 closes - even if Ray's teasing Dallas about his suggestion.  BTDTHTS!

Main thing, as you've found, is to take your time and don't rush in the adverse conditions.  You're in one of the safest vehicles to travel in, you'll be fine - white knuckles and all! 

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

P.S.  If you really are up for a ride, then take 395 south out of Reno all the way down the back side of the Sierras to Ridgecrest, then into Lancaster/Palmdale.  Or out of Ridgecrest to Victorville, picking up I-15 home.  Long day, and then some, going this route.  Interesting drive for you, tho!

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
S13406 Now
Fresno CA
Nellie Wilson

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2010, 12:18:52 AM »

Sounds like the first leg of John's adventure is over, thankfully without resorting to steak sauce. I anxiously await the sequel... tentatively entitled "Look Ma, No Chains."

Just FYI, the steak sauce is a joke.
Gee, BG6, glad you cleared that up.

I was thinking it was a tribute to one of Santa's lesser known reindeer... you know, what with it being so high and the snow and all.  Cheesy

Hey , BK... were they going east or west? Huh

Nellie

Had to change a tire... Angry  got to put it on backward... Undecided  still trying to fix it on photoshop... Huh Roll Eyes Huh
WVA_NATIVE

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2010, 07:00:29 AM »

Hey , BK... were they going east or west? Huh

Nellie

Nellie, Just remember the old American saying " Go West Young Man" they were heading west but left late and paid for their mistake. I guess that's why I like to be early where ever I'm going, but I always carry a bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's just in case.

WVaNative
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2010, 07:30:45 AM »

Donner? party of 87,86,85,84............

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Just Dallas

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2010, 07:33:07 AM »

Removed
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 01:26:14 PM by Now Just Dallas » Logged

Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2010, 07:36:01 AM »

I had forgotten about him..... Grin

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2010, 09:33:01 AM »

Thanks for the replies, guys. We will decide on the route tomorrow. We will see what happens Wink. It could be feather canyon, or 395 to I-15. Hopefully I-80 is open, which I expect it to be. The question will be whether we have to chain up. We will see on that.

I think we are going to have to chain up the tag too. http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/ChainRequire.pdf RJ, any thoughts on this? We will save the $$$ for the duals...

And, don't worry. We won't rush. Rushing takes too much time.

We are actually in Carson City. We could have taken highway 50 over, and saved about an hour. But we didn't, because 50 is a two lane. We can see 50 coming down from the mountains, where we are parked. There has been quite the stream of traffic coming down, but we have also seen emergency vehicles heading up (we can tell from the lights).

Anyways, thanks a lot for your help. We are really grateful.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Wannabebusowner

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2010, 02:36:58 PM »

Thanks

I think we are going to have to chain up the tag too. http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/ChainRequire.pdf RJ, any thoughts on this? We will save the $$$ for the duals...

God bless,

John

Reread the pdf  from dot.  In the notes section at the bottom is says that tag axle chains are not required.
Look at the Bus/RV picture at the top Marked type 3. It shows a non powered tag axle with no chains required. (the picture shows a dual tag but the info is still clear no chains required on a tag axle)
John316

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2010, 03:24:04 PM »

Thanks, Wanna. I reread that, and I agree...thanks.

God bless,

John

John316

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2010, 03:52:19 PM »

What do you all think about taking highway 50 over the mountains? Up past lake Tahoe, and then over. We don't have a problem going over Donner, but somebody told us that we would have a better chance getting over on 50. They said that they shut down 80, whenever there is a wreck. However, they said that there is fewer wrecks on 50 because people drive slower on 50, hence less wrecks.

What do you think? Highway 50, or 80 over Donner?

We are thinking 80 over Donner, but I thought I would check.

God bless,

John

Nellie Wilson

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2010, 03:53:27 PM »

Alferd Packer was invited, but he had his own party and ordered ala carte.

On my first trip to Colorado, my top priority was to dine at the Alfred E. Packer Grill (my second being the Coors Brewery).

Gotta admire a guy who could stomach that many Democrats. Smiley

As you see, us Canucks stay abreast of the higher points of U.S. history.

Nellie Wilson

Had to change a tire... Angry  got to put it on backward... Undecided  still trying to fix it on photoshop... Huh Roll Eyes Huh
Just Dallas

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2010, 03:58:45 PM »

Removed
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 01:22:30 PM by Now Just Dallas » Logged

Ray D

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2010, 08:02:00 PM »

50 compared to 80

If 50 is closed for a wreck or avalanche it snarls traffic 10 times longer than 80 as it is 2 lanes, sometimes it is closed for days, very sharp corners and a huge sheer cliff, pretty though, so it depends on your'e snow and ice driving skills.  Mileage wise it is probably less to go 50, but I would beat you going 80 any old time.

Any road but 80 and you are looking at less places to pull over, less help, fewer people, sharper curves, steeper grades & more ice (less traffice to keep it off), so adjust you're time to take in the tourist routes this time of the year.

Ray D

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: