Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 10:06:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Update on 'Intermittent Air Problem'  (Read 977 times)
Nellie Wilson

Ignore
« on: January 26, 2010, 04:54:10 AM »

Some have commented that too few of us come back to report how (or if) we cured our problem. So here goes:

Regarding my 'Intermittent Air' post (Jan 14): After the initial failure (to make air) - and after repeated starts and stops - the bus never failed again. And, as Jack said, how do you diagnose something that works?

Result: Diagnosis inconclusive. But that didn't mean it wouldn't fail again, right?

So, preventive surgery:

To reach the unloader valve, had to enlarge the access port by cutting away some (more) framing.

I then replaced the supposedly ‘new’ governor and replaced the shoddy plumbing.

But I ended up leaving the ‘old’ unloader valve. When I opened the intake manifold, I saw the valve looked brand new. The piston guide was just slightly canted - which Jack corrected with a flick of the screwdriver.

Was it canted enough to cause a piston to bind? Who knows? Anyway, now both pistons run true.

Maybe I should have replaced it, but I tend along the ‘If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’ line of thinking. If I finally need to, at least now I can reach it. And after practicing on Jack’s spare Tu-flow 700 (same as mine), it shouldn’t take long.

Anyway, the bus seems to air up slightly faster and more 'smoothly.' No detectable leaks and holds air for a good while after shutdown.

My thanks to all that helped – BK, Tom, Jack and Ray. And for your input and support, thanks to all you guys on the board.

Soon to drive off into the sunrise, forever south, with fingers crossed and bated breathe.

Nellie Wilson

Had to change a tire... Angry  got to put it on backward... Undecided  still trying to fix it on photoshop... Huh Roll Eyes Huh
PCC

Serving Those Who Have Served

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 05:01:27 AM »

Is it not a great feeling, Ms. Nellie, to have all this assistance readily available. I was able to close my situation thread just a few days ago, and I do owe a lot to the many voices who made the diagnosis more thorough.

This old 8V92 is just running great. I can hardly wait to take a trip further south myself, and enjoy the ride.

Again, my thanks to all.

For some, patience is a virtue.
Dealing with me, it is required.
Thank God - He is always patient.
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 10:46:13 AM »

If you go too far south, Hope your water wings and good air supply will
get you to the caymans or farther.

I can just hear the GPS complaining about go to end of road past Key West, and Turn right....Go 300 miles and Turn left.

Sorry...

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
Nellie Wilson

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 12:09:58 PM »

DrDave: And you know the saddest part? I'd probably obey the the darn thing.

Nellie

Had to change a tire... Angry  got to put it on backward... Undecided  still trying to fix it on photoshop... Huh Roll Eyes Huh
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 06:10:16 PM »

Nellie, What do you bait your breath with?

TOM

Grin Grin Grin Grin

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
Nellie Wilson

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 05:16:20 AM »

Tom -

Now that one's got me tongue-tied! Huh

Nellie

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: