Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 18, 2014, 12:50:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, we will replace all of your E-Mags for free.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looks Like We may have some Excitement Soon!  (Read 3809 times)
bubbaqgal

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 06:24:43 AM »

I was reading the comments at the KBTX website.  What a bunch of whiners.  They are all complaining about roads being closed to move this thing.

Belfert, you don't realize how the roads are here.  It isn't like the people can just slip around a corner and miss the traffic jam.  It takes a lot of driving to get where you need to go to avoid this.  Some of the people are not even allowed to drive to their homes and must leave their cars elsewhere and get shuttled to their houses.  That makes it a bit difficult to leave when necessary to get to work or school.  This thing moves 1 mph so it isn't like the road is blocked for just a few minutes but some people (traveling through that don't know the roads) are sitting for hours.  Sure they might could find a small road to take but it may turn and take them in a different direction and get them totally lost.  That would be especially difficult for people in RV's and trucks that are too big for the small dirt roads.

Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.
cody

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 06:25:57 AM »

I'd like to see the look on the REA's face if that pulled into the driveway out at the Skanee house lol.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2010, 06:40:46 AM »

It could have been built in Japan or Germany but it is still a Amercian Co and haulers have nothing to do with a permit load routing in the State of Texas.
 You tell the state you are going from point a to b then it is out of your hands and fwiw that is a very long route going that route from Houston to Collage Station

good luck
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 06:50:26 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2010, 06:56:07 AM »

It's good that they are moving it when it's cool outside. They moved a 500 ton generator last summer here in Abilene, and it tore up the roads a bit, a little soft from the heat.

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
PCC

Serving Those Who Have Served

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 07:27:13 AM »

I was just thinking where I would put the kitchen on that trailer. Big enough for a wonderful conversion home. See y'all in Arcadia?  LOL

For some, patience is a virtue.
Dealing with me, it is required.
Thank God - He is always patient.
bubbaqgal

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2010, 07:39:47 AM »

I was just thinking where I would put the kitchen on that trailer. Big enough for a wonderful conversion home. See y'all in Arcadia?  LOL

Maybe the west wing?

BG6

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2010, 08:57:17 AM »

Belfert, in the State of Texas for that size load the State will send their own engineer out to mark the route for the haul and you better not change it.
I was surprised they routed it on the FM roads (farm to market)

I would still bet the moving company sent their own guys out to survey the route and check for any potential problems.  The moving company probably wouldn't get any more business if they screw up something this big.

You can bet that a large part of the cost was the insurance bond that they WON'T screw anything up.  Notice the cranes moving the stoplight arms out of the way -- they're not leaving anything to chance.  There are also 20 guys running around with radios, making sure that everything is good ahead and behind, plus highway engineers, state police and everyone else who has an excuse to be part of this.

James77MCI8

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2010, 03:04:40 PM »

We had one of these come through last month. It was moving part og a generator to Cliffside,NC. Cool rig. A lot of people lined up to get phots. They parked overnight about 3 miles from our house.

77 MCI 8
8V-71 4 spd
rwc
No longer will be Now AM

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2010, 04:29:27 PM »

Probably came out of Houston that way because it was closer from the docks. Had to go around on OSR because the railroad under pass just north of Bryan?College Station is very narrow. Then the underpass in Hearne could also be a problem.

jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2010, 05:44:45 PM »

They are getting ready to move the old generator from the Three-Mile-Island facility to Mooreville, NC soon.  It was not as big weight wise as this, still pretty big.
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2010, 06:36:07 PM »

I see a lot of wind turbine blades etc coming through here all the time. Not as large as this but they are long. Actually had one that didn't clear the tracks in time and had a train run through it this summer!!!! OOOPS!

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2010, 05:59:33 AM »

This summer i worked on putting in the roads and pads for 2 windmill farms and will probably be doing more this coming summer. On the first job they brought in a crane that was so big that it took 40 semi truck loads to bring in all of the pieces.  Pretty impressive when put together.  Lots of loads to get all of the windmills there too, this was in eastern Wa.  Lately we have been seeing windmill parts going through Yuma heading west toward San Deigo but i haven't heard where they are ending up.

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
tomhamrick

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2010, 10:29:02 AM »

We had one of these come through last month. It was moving part og a generator to Cliffside,NC. Cool rig. A lot of people lined up to get phots. They parked overnight about 3 miles from our house.

Hey James,  That's the unit that I posted about. I live within 5 miles of the Cliffside, NC plant.  You must be somewhere between me and Savannah!!!

Tom Hamrick
1984 Eagle 10S

Tom Hamrick
1991 Prevost H3-40 VIP
1981 Eagle 10
Forest City, NC
bubbaqgal

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2010, 03:25:06 PM »

We got all excited yesterday expecting to see the monster come by.  Unfortunately, it rained and they were unable to move it.  The county calls every night with updates and they stated they would head out this morning and block an intersection from 8-10 so we figured it would be closer to 11 when they got here.  I glanced out the window before 10 and saw lots of motorcycle cops.  I got my jacket, looked again and here it came. I grabbed the camera, ran outside and managed to get two really bad pictures.  They had that thing moving way faster than 1 mph.  It was moving really fast for it's size. We were so disappointed not to have gotten a better look at it.  What a bummer.

Just Dallas
Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2010, 04:38:54 PM »

Removed
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 01:07:02 PM by Now Just Dallas » Logged

I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: