Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 03, 2014, 12:36:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: spare tire  (Read 1659 times)
oldallegro

Ignore
« on: August 01, 2006, 09:13:00 AM »

How important is it to carry around a spare tire on the bus?  I wonder if I am not better off using the area for storgae - as we plan to use one bay as a bedroom. 

Kurt
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 09:24:31 AM »

Kurt,
   Like everything else there are pros and cons to carrying a spare. I don't know about you, but I am 60 years old and could probably change a tire along the road if I had to, but I have roadside service. Much easier to call an 800 number. If the tire is toast they can bring a new one with them. Now the down side, they can charge you whatever they want for the tire. If your bus has a tag axle like the 40' MCIs, you can "borrow" a tag to limp in to a tire shop or truck stop.
   Some claim that the tire serves as a cushion in the event of a front end collision, If I hit that hard, I doubt that the tire will make that much difference. We carried a spare for almost 7 years. Used it once, on our second short trip in the bus when we blew a tag. This was before we checked the dates on all our tires and replaced them.
   I remoted the radiator on our generator, installing it in the back of the former spare tire compartment with an electric fan inside the compartment blowing through the radiator. I just purchased a set of heavy duty 36" drawer slided to install in the spare tire compartment to make a slide out tray for our shoreline cords, hoses, etc. Note: this compartment is not waterproof.  Hope this helps, YMMV Jack

« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 09:26:25 AM by JackConrad » Logged

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 09:24:50 AM »

Kurt,

The biggest Reason I can think of is Maybe you wouldn't want to get "ROBBED" having to replace a tire

on a toll road or turnpike by only authorized service trucks.

A fellow bus guy paid $1200 a few years back for a new tire and road service since his towing co. wouldn't

cover the toll road in CT.

I can think of more reasons.........

Hope this helps!
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 09:40:29 AM »

It seems that the consensus on the bus boards has been to not carry one.  The main concerns that are raised are the cost of getting a tire, and perhaps the time involved to get one.  Rather than just change it yourself - if you can - It can take longer for the tire co to get to you, and the different sized bus tire may be more difficult to find on the road.  As I recall, many of the folks that don't carry one are long time truckers, and other folks that have spent a lot of time on the road.

I still carry a spare, but I keep eyeing that space.  Maybe if cost is the only issue, you could consider it rent on the space.  Say if it costs $1000 every 5 years, that's only $200 a year to rent all that extra space.  Might be worth it.

I have personally put on about 25,000 miles on new Michelin's, and never needed the spare.  I may only need it if I stop carrying it!  Whether or not to carry a spare may also depend a little on how old and worn your tires are.  If you run new ones, and keep everything well maintained, that betters your odds.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
ChuckMC8

1977 MC8 and 1993 102C3 Temple Ga #322 F&AM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 10:23:41 AM »

I wouldn't consider not carrying a spare tire. My road service changes it free if I have a mounted spare. Otherwise they will not help at all.........EZ EZ EZ EZ I dont want to be buying a tire on the side of the road.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 01:50:57 PM by DrivingMissLazy » Logged

Far better is it to dare mighty things,to win glorious triumphs,even though they may be checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much,because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.  Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)
prevosman

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 10:49:43 AM »

After carrying a spare and losing that storage spce for years I quit doing it.

I was and am very careful about maintaining tire pressures and getting tires less than six years old on the coach.

In over 250,000 miles I haven't needed a spare.

I have replaced tires on the road, but only as a precaution. I had a cut sidewall and the tire may have gone forever, but I did not want to chance a blowout so when we got in a campground I was able to shop around and got a deal no worse than if I was home.

I also had to replace two tag tires on a very long trip one time and that was another case of shopping and when I cut my best deal I had them replaced.

Jon Wehrenberg
Knoxville TN
1997 Prevost Liberty
pvcces

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 06:54:58 PM »

We store our chains in that compartment. On top of our spare. I know we're not going to quit carrying chains because we travel in icy conditions, sometimes.

Other than that, we often get quite aways away from any help, so I don't figure on road service help, even though we have the coverage.

I think that a worn tire that looks to be in good shape makes a fine spare, so I can't see any reason for not carrying one.

For what it's worth.

Tom Caffrey
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 07:01:35 PM »

I've looked at the space for 5 years, wishing I could use it.  I have a 35ft bus with no Tag axle, if I had a tag I would get rid of the spare. Of course if I had a tag, I would have a 40 ft bus with 1 more bay, then I would not need the space.
                                                        Work?/Play safely Jim

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 08:12:44 PM »

We needed the spare during our first year of bussin' last year. We were freecamping at a construction site in the North County of San Diego and I picked up a nail. CoachNet (our emergency roadside service) had the tire replaced the next morning while I was enjoying Legoland with the family. Had I not had the spare, it would have been much more of a hand-wringing experience, I'm sure, and would have certainly impacted our vacation more (with time and $).

We drove all of the way back and did two more trips on the spare. Had I needed another tire changed on one of those trips, I would have had to pay for a roadside repair and not a roadside tire. I do not want to pay for a roadside tire... so I carry a spare.

That's my story...
Brian B.

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 08:45:17 PM »

We use one bay as a bedroom, and carry a spare.  I like the insurance factor of not relying on a roadside purchase.  We go to a lot of out of the way places.  On the other hand, our a/c isn't working well, leaks, and I DO look at that a/c space up front as a BIG potential storage area - tho' I suspect Nick would convince me that the a/c could be fixed and working again.   Grin 

Best Regards, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
Bosshosssport96

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2006, 06:57:25 AM »

Having a Scenicruiser I have more tires on my tag then most...*smiling*...I would think if you have a tag,you would have a spare tire.I plan on using my spare tire compartment for the instalatoin of a couple of auxiliary truck ac units,now all I got to do is to save a bunch of money to buy them....Frank
belfert

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2006, 07:24:50 AM »

My Dina has the spare tire mounted underneath behind the steering I believe.  It has a winch like most pickups and SUVs these days.  I will keep my spare since nothing else can really go there.  My biggest pain was paying $80 for a new crank for the winch since it was missing.

Brian Elfert
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2006, 08:37:36 AM »

I like the independence of being totally self contained, & not having to rely on anyone else.

However, the spare tire is not cheap either. A spare ages faster than a tire in use due to the rubber not being 'exercised' & may not be as usefull when you need it as you hoped.

A scenicruiser does have dual tires on the tag, but the tag axle carries the same weight as the drive. Also if you unload the tag air bags, the front gets really light & you can get into stability problems at speed, (the tag brakes locking up won't do the remaining tires on the tag axle any favors either) so this is a limp mode to get to a service center.

If you have a common size tire on your bus, getting one on the road should not be a problem, unless you are far past civilazation, holiday weekend, etc. The odd sized R/V tires cost more than standard trick tires & are usually a pain to get when you are at home & have the time to get them shipped in.

Every thing on these conversions is a compromise. Getting other people's ideas is a great way to help decide the best choice for your needs & use of the coach.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: