Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 09:38:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your input is needed  (Read 1609 times)
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« on: January 30, 2010, 09:04:58 AM »

Cody and I have been discussing an idea and need some input from y'all.

He will be drawing up designs for various woodworking/cabinetry projects for buses.  The idea is to have:

• the exploded view diagrams with dimensions
  • cut layouts for getting best use of the wood
  • materials list
  • instructions

The designs would include instructions on how to fit to curves and customize as applicable to make them fit various buses/layouts.

We will be putting them in the BCM Online Store and most of the prices should be around $10-$20.  Smaller simpler projects would be less and bigger complex projects (i.e. entire kitchen/galley or bedroom suites) would be more.

Here is where we need your input:

Cody will be working on this over time to build a large collection of designs.  But what designs would you most like to see first?  Or put another way, what do you think would be most popular.

Of course other feedback/suggestions on the idea is also welcome.
cody

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 09:29:04 AM »

To expand on the idea a little, this is something mike proposed to me and I see it as solving a problem that has been ongoing in my life for a long time, I get requests from all over the country, canada and a few from outside the states to do projects, I'm strange but I just don't have enough personalities to cover it lol, over the past bunch of years I've done almost everything that can be done to a bus, coach, house and more than a few boats lol, for each project I do up a rough drawing so I can see what it is I'm doing, I've got boxes of these drawings, I'll be using the drawings to do scale prints that show everything from exploded views to exactly how corners go together, with sizes that can be modified to work in almost any application, the projects range from complete base units for kitchens to bed frames with drawers, to microwave holders to appliance garages to toilet paper holders.  I even have the drawings that my dad and grandfather used to build furniture over the past 80 years or so that as time allows I may throw some of those out there in case there is any interest.  I realized what a dinosaur I am when I asked jamie to see if she could pick me up a good T-Square at an office supply store near where she goes to college and she gave me a blank stare then she asked me if I had ever heard of a CAD program, I asked her if it comes with a T Square lol, she shook her head and declared me hopeless lol.
James77MCI8

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 10:04:35 AM »

How about templates for he various curved interiror of the bus makes?

77 MCI 8
8V-71 4 spd
cody

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 10:18:24 AM »

Universal templates are almost impossible to do cause each model bus is different, even each year is different from one bus to the next, with many buses the roof curve will vary even from the front to the back, wall curves change as a person works down the wall, what I'll be including with the prints, is an easy way to make your own templates and a way to change them to match each part of the bus, how to determine the level and angles of the floor, the curvature of the walls and the ceilings, in most buses what appears to be a flat floor is actually a floor with a slant to the center designed into it, so I'll show an easy way to find the slant, how to compensate for it and how to find that imaginary spot that is dangling in mid air to determine the verticle for cabinets and from that the curvature of the walls, so the cabinets or whatever piece can be adjusted for each individual bus.  Nice tight seams disappear into the overall layout and are the sign of a professional job, a gap seems to glare at everyone that walks past it, there are easy ways to prevent that gap from ever happening.
Cary and Don

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 11:24:19 AM »

Something that I have been trying to come up with is a computer station.  The monitor would fold up out of the top.  There would be a docking station inside for the laptop, printer, and other items.  The key board would come out in a drawer.  Closed it would look like any other end table, cabinet, or dinette.  Open,  you would only see the monitor and keyboard.  I know most of the time we just use the laptop, but sometimes that small screen is just too small and I like a full size key board and a mouse that isn't wireless.

Don and Cary
GMC4107
Neoplan AN340

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
Nellie Wilson

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 12:20:07 PM »

Hi Cody -

Sounds a great project. To answer Mike's question:
...what designs would you most like to see first?  Or put another way, what do you think would be most popular.
I'd say ROOF CURVES. In fact, I'm working on one now. i know there's an ancient method (kinda like T-squares  Smiley) to make them perfect, but I can't find it anywhere.

BTW, sounds like your daughter is pretty politically savvy?
...she asked me if I had ever heard of a CAD program,

That's BO's new 'cash for clunkers' program for rich folks, right?  Grin

Nellie

Had to change a tire... Angry  got to put it on backward... Undecided  still trying to fix it on photoshop... Huh Roll Eyes Huh
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 12:47:48 PM »

Nellie, buy yourself a contour gage takes the guess work out of it I use a 10in and a 6 inch cost around 30 bucks for both

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
desi arnaz

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 12:58:03 PM »

great idea. what is the most plentiful bus, then offer up those prints first.i like that   prices seem to be fair.

thomas f  Bethlehem n.h
Nellie Wilson

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 01:34:19 PM »

LuvRbus -

Contour gauge? Hmmm... you mean I've been doing all this ex-acto blade trimming for nothing? Drat! I hate it when that happens. And in public, too. Embarrassed

Thanks my friend... didn't know such an animal existed.

Nellie

Had to change a tire... Angry  got to put it on backward... Undecided  still trying to fix it on photoshop... Huh Roll Eyes Huh
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 11:31:04 PM »

To late for me, but a good dinette plan should be part of the collection. I did a little bit more than a toy box with a straight back, and I now feel I have one of the better DIY dinettes. Toe kicks, and a neat way to save myself 6" but maintain a 6' bed (In a 35' bus every inch can make a big difference). I also was able to design the table into the dinette without having to attach it to the bus wall. You might want to include a hardware list and where to find the RV specific parts/suppliers.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 11:41:17 PM »

Mike, Cody,I would like to see base cabinet framing drawings, maybe even how to do large rounded corners on the bases. this is something that is fast approaching, and would like to know If that is something I would be able to tackle my self, yes please post what you cal, thanks. V

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 05:39:18 AM »

Window boxes....butt hutt....front over head cabinets.....TV mounting systems,cabinets,,,bedroom entertainment centers...hanging closets...couch frames with drawers below..ceiling systems and possible coverings.....bay storage systems,sliding drawers...how too build raised cabinet doors....terms saw dust makers use  ... rails?mortise?...very basic and I mean basic for those who need to be helped (me) yes I know we can go somewhere else to learn;why not here! yes I have read and understand past articles and post...We need these yesterday..should keep you busy a hour or too...

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 06:28:35 AM »

Cody,
Several options of how to build walls would be great.  Some people may not realize that there are ways of building thin and light, yet strong.  There were articles in BCM many years ago by a pilot that talked about it.  Some of my walls are made of 3/4 pine, with t&g or other material over the top.  Each vertical piece was notched to take a horizontal piece, looks like a ladder with a curved top to match the ceiling.  The top usually takes 2 pieces to cover the curve from ceiling to wall, unless you use a really wide piece and that sort of defeats the purpose.  Here's a poor picture.

Since I needed some space on the side of the fridge, I built shelves into the wall to use that dead space.  Anyone building a 2x4 wall could do the same, depending on whether or not there is some wiring or plumbing that needed to be hid.. 

Here's a picture of the finished wall.  You may notice that the doors look smaller than the hole.  They are.  I goofed them up, and just made the opening smaller since I was in a hurry. 

Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: