Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 21, 2014, 02:59:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, we will replace all of your E-Mags for free.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kitchen/Bathroom design questions  (Read 3482 times)
belfert

Ignore
« on: January 31, 2010, 08:51:34 PM »

My side aisle design isn't working out so hot.  By the time I install a kitchen it will be hard to move around and get to the side aisle to walk to the rear.  I want to go to a center aisle design.  I have almost exactly 96" inside width to play with.  My thoughts are to install cabinets and a countertop that will project out about 22" from one side.  My aisle will be at least 30" wide which leaves me with 44" for a bathroom.  This is almost too wide, but it might mean I can place the toilet perpendicular to the outside wall to save space.

My main issue is placement of the toilet.  I only have about 30" I can move the toilet back and forth to keep it over the black tank.  I am going to have to keep tweaking to see if I can make it work.  I don't want to have a shower that dumps right into the hallway as I travel with friends and we aren't quite that friendly.

Any thoughts on if I am heading in the right direction with my design thoughts?

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
cody

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 09:12:18 PM »

Just as a thought, the design I went with is a center isle with a 22 inch array of cabinets on the curb side, the road side has the bathroom and has an inside dimension of 37 inches by 7 ft, at the bedroom end I put a 36 inch tub/shower module from Bontragers, the tub was 25 bucks (be careful of which end drain a person wants), the shower surround was 35, and I opted for a fold up shower seat, that cost 20 bucks, all at bontragers, the tub/shower takes up 24 inches of the 7 ft allowable, at the other end of the bathroom I placed the toilet, with the back to the bathroom/kitchen partition wall (facing the shower), in the middle of the bathroom on the outside wall I put a vanity, the design allows for the door to be in the center, immediately to the right is the toilet, to the left is the shower and straight ahead is the sink and mirror.  The drawback is the tub drain comes into the wheelwell and has a 90 degree fitting directly below the floor, the sink drains into the same line and goes thru a hole cut into the back compartment to the tanks, the toilet is just far enough forward so the drop is into a 30 degree bend and short straight line and then another 30 degree bend and straight into the black tank.  The rough measurements I used were behind the drivers seat, 10 ft of living room, then 8 ft of kitchen, then 7 ft of bathroom, then 9 ft of bedroom.  Our iggle is a 96 inch wide bus and we have roughly 92 inches to play with inside.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 09:16:56 PM by cody » Logged
Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 02:49:52 AM »

I looked at a side isle. Great for privacy, but a lot of unusable space for me. I went with an off set center isle. Kit. cabinets on one side with private toilet area behind it with the shower on the other side. A little more plumbing but I like it.
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 04:50:42 AM »

the walk tru bath has worked good for us with pocket doors on each end...Our next coach is going with a butt hutt but we are 102 wide and 45 ft long(just starting it)we use showers with radius doors ,makes location easier..good luck!

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 05:44:49 AM »

The walk though bath works good for a family or a couple.  My last few trips I have had nine friends all on the bus at once.  I'm not sure if it would work with that many people who aren't family.

I have lots of great ideas if I could put the toilet anywhere I wanted.  Unfortunately, I can only put the tanks in one bay on the curb side.  That bay is closer to the front of the bus.  The rest of the area is over the fuel tank and the rear axles.

I'm thinking if I made the bathroom 42" or so wide I could put in a 42" shower base.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
James77MCI8

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 06:21:01 AM »

Have you given thought to making the base cabinets 20" wide instead of 22" The extra 2 " makes a big difference.

77 MCI 8
8V-71 4 spd
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 06:34:40 AM »

Have you given thought to making the base cabinets 20" wide instead of 22" The extra 2 " makes a big difference.

I think the cabinets will actually be 21" wide.  The countertop will be 22".  I can get laminate postformed countertops in that size.  I want to spend the money for solid surface I can get basically any size I want.

Wouldn't a 30" aisle be plenty?  Of course, it could be narrow during cooking.  I don't expect the kitchen will get used much.  It may not even have a cooktop, but just a microwave.  Everything gets cooked outside.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 06:36:14 AM by belfert » Logged

Christyhicks

1991 Beaver Prevost LeMirage XL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 07:22:27 AM »

If you do a walk-through bathroom, the only thing you need to worry about is your doorways, and with pocket doors or swing doors that stay open except when needed to be closed, you can get by with 24" wide openings.  On BigBus, I was going to do 18" deep cabinets on the curb side, with the lav in the center, and storage on either side, driver's side would have a longer shower protruding closer to the center of the bus, with the toilet next to and basically parallel with the shower.  The back of the toilet was against the outside wall, with the front slightly turned toward the shower, like they did in TempBus.  By turning the toilet just slightly, I would have had the corner space behind it for more openess, yet I would have plenty of room to step into the shower. 

This is slightly different than the setup in TempBus, which had the lav next to the toilet on driver's side, and the shower and storage across from it curb side.  Because the shower was small and basically parallel with the curb, we had an issue with head room for Larry, who is 6'1".  It wasn't a big issue, but I knew I wanted a taller space in BigBus. One advantage of putting the lav on one wall and shower/toilet on the other, with the aisle in the center, is that when you bend over to wash your face or shave, you're not slamming your rear end into anything.  I also wanted a larger shower, and we didn't do a roof raise, so the design was going to allow Larry to be standing at the tallest portion of the bus when showering.

I don't see where a walk-through bathroom has any more limitations when people stay with you than a side aisle.  Sure, when someone is actually USING the bathroom, you would be limited from exiting the rear bedroom, but with a little communication, I don't see that being a big issue.  A walk-through bathroom just gives you SO much more usable space inside the bathroom as the hallway is actually also bathroom space.  With a side aisle, the hallway is only a hallway, not usuable for anything else.. . .IMHO.  Christy Hicks

If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 08:08:49 AM »

I have wondered if a modified walk-through bath would work.  The problem with a side aisle is that the aisle is dedicated space.  In a walk-through bathroom, the aisle doubles as bathroom space.  My thought was to have the walk-through set up with the toilet and sink on one side and the shower and draws/cabinets/closet/washer on the other, but have some sort of door arrangement, maybe sliding or french, that could be used to isolate that toilet/sink area as a separate room if the use required it.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Christyhicks

1991 Beaver Prevost LeMirage XL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 08:26:33 AM »

Not that my ideas count so much more anymore, since we bought "The Beav", but what I was planning was the stool and shower compartment would have a door that either closed off that compartment or swung across the hallway to meet the cabinet on the other side, effectively giving you two options. . . the entire bathroom to yourself, or privacy in the stool area. . .the other door by the bedroom would swing across and meet the wall also, so if you were using the entire bathroom, you kept the privacy and the heat and humidity in the bathroom, not in the bedroom.  Christy

If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 08:35:16 AM »

We  have had both the side isle and walk through I like the side isle better but the wife likes the walk through.
One good thing about a side isle you can have more cabinet space and a walk inn closet on the back side.
FWIW I know if I ever built another she would have a walk through looks more open to her and that is all it does looks more open draw it out you don't gain anymore space a walkway is a walkway either on the side or the middle.

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 08:48:53 AM »

With 8 bunks in the rear and everyone's gear back there, there is a lot of traffic back and forth.  There is also the issue of the toilet getting used a lot with 9 folks on board.  A walk through may not work.

I still have a lot of thinking to do on the design and a walk through might still be doable.  My original thought was a seperate compartment for the toilet, but it looks like location of the tanks may not make that feasible.

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 08:58:28 AM »

My rear bedroom has eight bunks and is close to 14 feet in total length.  For me, a side aisle doesn't really add any room for anything extra compared to a bus with a smaller rear bedroom.

Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 09:17:53 AM »

Brian, why not put the shower and crapper in one room? Do you really need a 42" shower? I put a 32 or 36" in mine and it seems big to me.  Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 10:01:28 AM »

Brian, why not put the shower and crapper in one room? Do you really need a 42" shower? I put a 32 or 36" in mine and it seems big to me.  Tom Y

36" would probably be the ideal size, but in order to turn the toilet 90 degrees to be perpendicular to the side wall I need about 40 to 42" to make the toilet comfortable.

I figured why not do a 42" shower for plenty of room then.  The six inches I save by going with 36" is not going to be usable for much of anything.  A 32" stall is just small.  I stood in one at the store over the weekend.

Fixed my horrible typing
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 02:18:00 PM by belfert » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: