Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 26, 2014, 01:24:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Towing Prep. & Insurance?  (Read 4250 times)
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2010, 08:42:51 PM »

Landoll, the only way to fly. We have roadside assistance, the photo below is from the Q rally atempt last year, a $1,300 move, zero out of pocket.

Nobody knows da truble I've seen" Grin

They even sent a matching colored rig, now thats service Grin

« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 08:45:04 PM by van » Logged

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2010, 01:18:34 AM »

Towed from the from the front only (or landoll) - pull the axles and seal (short pulls off the rdwy w/o pulling OK) - auxilliary air connection - HTH

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
cody

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2010, 03:52:45 AM »

What are the primary differences between coachnet and good sam?  I have Good Sam and when my daughter needed a tow when she hit a deer with one of my jeeps, she called me and I called Good Sam and they sent a local wrecker to pick up the jeep and bring it home, I heard that Coachnet only covers the bus but we had good luck with Good Sam covering road service to all our vehicles, course that deer hit was the only time we used them so I don't know.
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2010, 04:37:24 AM »

Let me add a couple of options.  We have towing coverage from both Progressive and AAA. 

Our Progressive insurance policy for the bus has the towing coverage and we have used it twice with absolutely no significant problems.  The only issue I had was that the first time I broke down (Voith transmission would not function - 10 miles from home) they told me it would be at least two hours.  I told them no problem, as I was in a safe location.  Indeed, I had enough equipment that I just worked on the interior a bit.  The problem was that Progressive called a wrecker that was well over 100 miles away.  They don't seem to have a sense of geography.  Used them again when we had a transmission control problem in TN (turned out to be a loose connection).  Both times they sent the equipment that was up to the job.

We have had AAA towing for our cars since the 60s.  Used it quite a bit when the daughters were still at home (their cars were very basic transportation).  A few years ago, we read that our policy could be upgraded for "motorhome" for a nominal fee.  I had my doubts, but I had to use them when the 6V92 spit up and they were very accommodating.  They have an excellent "network" of towing companies. 

The three times I have had to use towing for the bus, I explained in detail what kind of vehicle they would be towing.  I was especially careful with AAA, since I doubt that they are used to towing vehicles as large as a bus.

I don't have the costs of each, but they are very nominal.  I think Pat said that our AAA was less than $100 per year.

Without question, our towing insurance has paid for itself many times over.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
Nellie Wilson

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2010, 05:04:31 AM »

Cody,  the info I have on Coachnet is they cover your bus and the one car you're towing. Also they will change a wheel on your trailer or tow dolly (they say 'as a courtesy'). And they also have extensive medical coverage.

Question re: Good Sam: I'm not a member of their club. Is that required to get their insurance?

Thanks, Jim. I just dropped my CAA (AAA's Canadian branch). They treated me well - only used them once - but the yearly premium was $250. Too much for my meager budget. But if it's around $100 down here, I'll take another look.

Nellie

Had to change a tire... Angry  got to put it on backward... Undecided  still trying to fix it on photoshop... Huh Roll Eyes Huh
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2010, 05:24:07 AM »

Coach-Net covers all vehicles you own even motorcycles. 

One of the problems I have read about with RV coverage from AAA is AAA is regional.  People have had trouble getting RV coverage from AAA outside of their region.  I like Coach-Net because they specialize in RVs.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
cody

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2010, 06:00:12 AM »

If Coachnet covers all my vehicles and Good Sam does too, then I'm not sure I see an advantage to changing from Good Sam, which I've had for years, I've only had one experience with towing and the job was done promptly with no issues or costs to me at all so I'm happy with Good Sam at this time but I was wondering cause so many people like Coachnet, just where the differences were.
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2010, 07:01:09 AM »

Cody, how much junk mail do you get each month from Good Sam? Sad   None ever from CoachNet.  Grin I had to have the jeep towed twice with CN. No hassles either time.  When we were Good Sam members, 1/2 of our mail was from them wanting us to buy stuff from them. We use a mail service so i was paying to have this stuff forwarded to me. Even after i dropped them i got mail from them for well over a year.

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
cody

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2010, 07:11:34 AM »

I don't recall getting any junk mail from good sam, at the most maybe 1 or 2 letters a year and those are mainly renewal notices. I did uncheck the box on the application that asked if I wanted to recieve offers tho, maybe that made a differnce, don't know lol.
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2010, 07:59:22 AM »

Hmmmm..... i don't recall ever seeing that option.  Sad

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
skihor

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2010, 09:26:32 AM »

I own a 1971 mc7 and I read in my coachnet literature (or maybe it was on their web site) that they will not insure vehicles over 40 years old. I still subscribe to their service this year but I think I will need to make a phone call to Coach Net next year when our bus hits that magic 40 years old.

Does anyone have any experience with coach net turning down a vehicle that is older than 40 years old?

I copied this from Coach Net Web Site.
=====================================

TERMS AND CONDITIONS
This guide is your contract with us, subject to the following:
1. The benefits and services offered by your membership are described in this guide. Please read this benefit guide to become familiar with the benefits and services. In the event there is any inconsistency between the languages of this guide and the information provided by an employee, representative, independent contractor or sales brochure the language in this guide shall govern. To ensure that our representatives are providing quality service, members are deemed to consent to monitoring of inbound and outbound calls.
2. All benefits are applicable to the member, spouse and his/her dependents (children under the age of 24) for one RV and all family vehicles, except if you received your coverage from your vehicle manufacturer, in which case your coverage is limited to one RV and one family automobile or truck. Any membership plan that is provided to the vehicle owner free of charge by a manufacturer is not intended to substitute for coverage that may or may not be available by the vehicle’s chassis manufacturer. Benefits are not applicable to commercial vehicles, or vehicles over 40 years old. As a courtesy tow dollies and boat trailers are covered for a tire change to a good mounted and inflated spare.
3. Whenever we refer to “you” and “your” throughout this Guide, we refer to the registered member and his/her spouse; whenever we refer to “we,” “us,” or Coach- Net, we refer to Coach-Net, an Arizona corporation.
4. The terms of this Benefit Guide, which are in conflict with the statutes of your state of residence, are amended to conform to the statutes of that state.

I called Coachnet today on the age issue. The age thing applies only to vehicles OTHER than your RV. It does NOT apply to your RV. I hope this clears up any issues. By the way i have only been with them a couple of months and have yet to use their services. When signing up and several subsequent phone calls the customer service has been outstanding.

Don & Sheila
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2010, 10:05:40 AM »

Cody,

I switched from Good Sam to Coachnet.  I have not had to use Coachnet yet, but took the suggestion of the satisfied customers on this board.  A had a problem with Good Sam when I needed a tire changed on my former bus.  I described in detail the size of the vehicle and needs to the lady on the phone, but when the guy showed up, he was clearly inadequate for the job.  He came in a minivan.  He had a tiny pull-cord gas compressor to push a small, 1/2 inch drive impact wrench, and did not have a socket big enough for the lugs.  He was very accommodating and ran out to buy a socket.  The bus had Dayton wheels, and he had never touched one before.  I had to direct him on what to do since I, at least, had watched it being done.  Actually, it was fortunate that they were Daytons since he would never have been able to remove the lugs on Budds with his toy impact wrench.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
bcaddel

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2010, 12:26:07 PM »

Don & Sheila

Thanks for your phone call, I also just called and confirmed the RV can be any age. I sure misread/misunderstood their Terms and Conditions section.

Thanks
Bob

Bob Caddel, Las Vegas Nevada
1971 MC7, 8V71, Allison MT654
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2010, 01:38:00 PM »

I used to have Camping World Roadcare which is the sister company to Good Sam's roadside assistance.  They both use the same third party from what I have read.

One time, I needed my spare tire put on because of a low tire.  They sent a little bitty tow truck.  I doubt the guy even had the right jacks and tools to change my tire.  We decided to air up the tire instead and I drove it over to get the tire fixed.  This is the primary reason I switched to Coach-Net after my year was up.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
trailblazer2
1999 Thomas Saftliner MVP

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2010, 04:58:51 PM »

I got my renewal statement from Good Sam ,and happened to Notice a $1000.00 Maxium benefit.You can go over this fence in a hurry in some remote places??? I ran out of fuel on my way to a Cove rally,and finally got tired of waiting(after several hour) bought some gas cans & got my own fuel. I am thinking about a change.
Bill

"I will place no value on anything I have or may possess,except in it's relationship to the kingdom of Christ"
David Livingston
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: