Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 21, 2014, 11:15:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bus Freighter?  (Read 5899 times)
philiptompkjns

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2010, 02:32:45 PM »

You might want to not try to reinvent the wheel.
The 05G AC compressor that is used on many coaches is the same AC compressor that is used on walk in refrigeration rooms, large building Air conditioning, small industrial freezers.
Blow in 6" of spray foam on floor walls and roof, retain the existing OTR AC with some tweaks to put the temperature where you want it. A home style electric Humidifier on an inverter would probably supply all the moisture you'll ever need.

So what am I missing? Christy? Nick?
I think he was going to a  genny + roof  airs for redundancy in case of break downs and while parked. 

1990 102a3... Just got started, don't  know  what I'm doing.
Nusa

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2010, 05:02:55 PM »

Swamp coolers are great in desert climates; economical and effective. For your greenhouse application, they may still be ok in less-arid climates, since you don't mind raising the humidity above comfort-level. However, they're nearly worthless in your typical 90% humidity summer heat in much of the country.
DaveG

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2010, 05:17:20 PM »

FWIW, the 05G is basically the same compressor that is used on the Carrier trailer units
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2010, 08:17:38 PM »

I don't think Dallas has missed anything. It's the same thing several of us have already said. The OTR HVAC system will handle your needs if you use the spray foam insulation. A genny and a couple of roof airs (or roof heat pumps) will add redundancy. A house type humidifier if needed, although I don't think it will be.

Problem solved!  Smiley Smiley

TOM

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2010, 08:25:32 AM »

I know where the perfect bus is for you! Wink
1990 Setra S215 HDH 8V92 DDEC Allison 5 spd  runs awesome and the interior is currently out of it! Wink

(engine has had much work done to it recently & brakes are NEW all the way around!)

Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
fr8bus

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2010, 11:52:25 PM »

You might want to not try to reinvent the wheel.
The 05G AC compressor that is used on many coaches is the same AC compressor that is used on walk in refrigeration rooms, large building Air conditioning, small industrial freezers.
Blow in 6" of spray foam on floor walls and roof, retain the existing OTR AC with some tweaks to put the temperature where you want it. A home style electric Humidifier on an inverter would probably supply all the moisture you'll ever need.
So what am I missing? Christy? Nick?
Really good to know. I assume this type of compressor would be found easily on most intercity bus types (i.e. MCI102 series etc...). The independent generator is most definitely a requirement, otherwise the whole load is at risk. I agree, humidity is generally a secondary issue and can be controlled well in an insulated environment.
So cost wise, is it fair to say a conversion like this for a reasonably dependable coach is in the $20k-$30k range (total for good used coach, conversion including cutout on side and materials)? Also, what is the standard interior height of a typical coach, and is the floor or ceiling easily raised/lowered. The access I think would work best would be some kind of rollaway door on the mid-section with a standard freight lift stowed from under. Rolling racks can then be used to move plants on and off. I'm learning that plant haulers here in the NW have some pretty tricked out controlled boxes on their trucks as well. I hope to chat more about that with them later.
it sounds like someone wants to take the grow house with them when they have to make a run for the boarder.
Yeah, it may look a little strange, but whatever works, works.
Thanks again for all the great input.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: