Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 09:24:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who says you have to be IN a bus to have an adventure???  (Read 796 times)
Christyhicks

1991 Beaver Prevost LeMirage XL

Ignore
« on: February 02, 2010, 11:25:18 AM »

Who says you have to be IN the bus in order to have an adventure?  HAH! Cheesy

So, the other day, we decided to take a "day trip" and go explore some of the areas around Quartzsite.  I had a hankering to go visit The Saltan Sea, "The Slabs" and Salvation Mountain, so I took a look at the map and decided that instead of going ALL the way to Indio, CA and around, surely I could find us a quicker way to get there! Wink

Now, here's my beef with maps Sad. . . YOU WOULD THINK, if YOU were drawing a map, a big blue oval shaped area with a road drawn through the middle of it, would maybe be a lake with a long bridge, wouldn't you.  Huh AND FURTHERMORE, you would also think that a live ammunition firing range would be labeled:  "ATTENTION:  LIVE FIRING AMMUNITION RANGE".  Well, I would! Angry 

Anyway, after traveling this cattle trail of a road I had chosen for a while, and having Larry continually question the appropriateness of my choice of a "shortcut", Tongue I zoomed in to the next level of magnification, and much to my surprise, um, well, let's just say we weren't on course to cross any lakes in the near future.  Huh

Oh oh, so I suggested that since he didn't care for my choice of road, maybe it WOULD be best if we turned around and headed back to a more suitable pavement. Smiley  As we navigated through the desert to turn around and head back along the trail, we had gone no more than a few hundred yards when we were met by a Land Rover, hurtling at high speed towards us. Huh  My immediate concern was that he was going to rat me out to Larry about the firing range, but he went swerving around us and blazing on down the road, as if he was somehow USED to rattling his teeth and spinning on sandy rocks.  Tongue Of course, Larry wondered out loud just what in the world that guy was up to, and I agreed that surely Larry was correct in that he "guesses that guy was just more used to the road than I was".  I didn't let on  Lips Sealed that he could have either had reports of some idiots in the way of the next target, Cool or some other mission related to whatever bombs were getting ready to pepper us with sand and rock.

And ANOTHER THING, Angry how is it that we drove for MILES without seeing another road, yet met choice after choice of roads we could take when trying to backtrack?  Seriously, Larry was constantly saying, "which one should I take" and I'm trying to act like I know, because, well, pretty much I'm the one who got us into this jam, so it might go easier on me if I actually get us OUT of it! Wink  Eventually we did end up basically somewhat back to the highway, not exactly in the same place we left it, but pretty close. . .within a few miles at least.  (Now, I will admit that I MIGHT Have let Larry assume it was the road choices HE made that maybe got us off path a little bit. . . Now, I didn't SAY that, I just didn't argue with him when HE suggested it. Wink)  O

Overall, he was a good sport about the whole thing and I do want to take credit for the fact that, eventually, I did inform him that maybe the reason I had him turn around had to do with something about not wanting to get too close to a firing range and stuff.  Cool

So, again I ask, "who says you have to be IN a bus to have an adventure. . . they seem to find us EVERYWHERE!" Wink 

Christy Hicks
1991 "The Beav Pray-vo"

If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 01:24:06 PM »

The guy was probably going fast so that he would "float" over the bumps.  Grin   

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
4905 doc

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 02:25:51 PM »

Christy, I feel your pain. when I worked in Imperial valley, my turf covered all the valley. you cannot trust maps, or gps for that matter.
another thing, if you're traveling in the desert and find youself inside a large ring of white painted tires, get outta there fast. they are targets for rocket firing jets. Shocked
Christyhicks

1991 Beaver Prevost LeMirage XL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 03:59:08 PM »

find youself inside a large ring of white painted tires, get outta there fast. they are targets for rocket firing

Oh good, this MIGHT have been good to know A COUPLE OF DAYS AGO!!! Roll Eyes

Mental note: avoid painted white trees in a circle. . . .or is it white trees in a circle. . . or how about just avoid all white trees, circles, and NEVER GET OFF OF THE HIGHWAY! Cheesy

Hahahaha, just kidding!  Thanks for the tip cause you just never know when I might need a tidbit of info like that. . you just neeeevvvvveeeerr know. Huh

Christy

If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: