Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 22, 2014, 11:44:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We got her running.... with video  (Read 3326 times)
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« on: February 02, 2010, 12:57:00 PM »

Well they pulled all the aux drive stuff, rebuilt the blower, got a mechanical oil pressure gauge and new filters on my 8V92 and we are planning on starting her Friday morning!

For those of the praying persuasion prayers would be appreciated. For all other keep your fingers crossed.

If Gumpy doesn't have to work maybe I can talk him into coming out with me. I'll try to bring a camera and record the moment.

he said the blower vanes looked new but the seals were brittle and in need of replacement he also mentioned that the governor still had a locking tab on the high idle adjustment which led him to believe the motor has been rebuilt. I have no idea what he's talking about but I betcha Clifford does.

We'll keep you all informed

Rick
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 07:44:05 PM by RickB » Logged

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
Christyhicks

1991 Beaver Prevost LeMirage XL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 01:18:28 PM »

jqweriuto7t9876tgf9auflkajalksjat;lj

Whoops, ok, I'll cross my fingers for you AFTER I type this post wishing you good luck! Wink Cheesy 

Good Luck!
Christy Hicks
wpe985y01485yuiypsilyu2yutpoqisurp

If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 01:31:51 PM »

I'll keep my tongue tied, not my fingers! Grin  Good luck!  Post video!

Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 05:03:58 PM »

If Gumpy doesn't have to work maybe I can talk him into coming out with me. I'll try to bring a camera and record the moment.

Unfortunately, I'm probably going to have to work that day, and probably in Burnsville.

I'm in the middle of a formal qual test and it's kind of a one man show at work right now. The good news is they've
authorized some OT for me for a couple weeks. The bad news is they haven't told me if they're going to extend my contract
at the end of the month.

Now, if you were to delay the fire-up until say after 3:00...

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Stormcloud
FMCA#407220

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 05:11:04 PM »

....after 3pm may be more appropriate, cause drinking champagne at 9:30am may be frowned upon by some....lolol

All the best Rick...we'll be x-ing our fingers and toes.

Mark

Mark Morgan    near Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
1972 MCI-7     'PapaBus'  8v-71N MT654 Automatic
Spanky77707

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 09:07:42 PM »

I'll be praying........God bless!
I'm sure all will go well.
Nellie Wilson

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 09:44:00 PM »

Rick,

I wish you the very best! Scary rides, these 'shakedowns.' They can be long too... mine's been going on for a couple years now. Glad I packed a lunch. Roll Eyes

Nellie

Had to change a tire... Angry  got to put it on backward... Undecided  still trying to fix it on photoshop... Huh Roll Eyes Huh
PCC

Serving Those Who Have Served

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 04:15:00 AM »

My 8V92 is the best engine I have ever run with - strong, and smooth and quiet.

I will be with you as you get yours fired up, and pray that yours runs as good as mine does, and gives you a million miles of joy.  Send us the notes and pics.

For some, patience is a virtue.
Dealing with me, it is required.
Thank God - He is always patient.
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 04:29:09 AM »

....after 3pm may be more appropriate, cause drinking champagne at 9:30am may be frowned upon by some....lolol

All the best Rick...we'll be x-ing our fingers and toes.

Mark

That's a very good point mark!  Very practical advice.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
johns4104s

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 05:10:08 AM »

Good Luck to you Rick, we will say a pray.

John
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 07:24:35 AM »

Good luck Rick, and hope all works out well. You will have to change your signature to"
I will drive my 892 Detroit hard... I will drive my 892 Detroit hard"  Grin and don't forget to charge da batteries  Wink

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
RickB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 02:35:14 PM »

Well, it certainly didn't go as well as planned. It had a nagging blue smoke issue that wouldn't go away even at full throttle. I am kind of at a crossroads with this motor. I mean, how far do you go?? Because it started right up and had great oil pressure (almost 60 lbs at full throttle) I'm sure that a local trucking guy would throw it in his truck in an instant but he's always relatively close to home, we on the other hand, have a 2500 mile trip planned to Yellowstone this summer. The $2K question is do I want to change out the injectors, do a full tune up and fix the turbo and see if it clears up (to the tune of 2K) or do I want to cut my losses on this thing. It's also leaking ouf the airbox drains (that could be old oil that's in the drains because it sure looks black and we have new oil in the motor) and that didn't put my mind at ease either. I videotaped it and I'm going to try and figure out how to upload them later so I can get input from you all.

With all the stuff that I am going to have to find/buy for the changeover I am losing confidence in the repower.

To say that I am bummed is an understatement.

Rick

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 02:57:50 PM »

Bet you a steak dinner Rick you put that engine on a dyno under a load for 2 hours and that puppy will clean up.
Van's 6v92 looked like it was junk till he drove it 200 miles it poured a quart out of the drains in 20 miles and smoked like crazy now it is clean, he was really bumed out at start up. 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 03:27:35 PM »

Do what Clifford said, Rick. Run it into the ground, if you don't want to dyno it. Take the next weekend or two, and just drive. Anywhere. See if it fixes itself. Just might save you some $$$. But then again, 2k for a rebuild doesn't sound bad. Why? Because if we did that it would be a whole lot more...lol.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
RickB

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 03:42:02 PM »

Hey Clifford, thanks for the much needed encouragement.

John, I'm sorry but I have failed to make clear is the motor is on a stand not actually in the bus yet and it is going to need alo of retrofitting to do the switchout. Starter, water pump,oil pan, bellhousing, flex plate, cradle, front motor mount, custon intake and exhaust, muffler so even if it was perfect I would have alot in parts for the retrofit. I would do the labor but these parts are expensive and hard to find to say the least.
The 2k is just to replace the compressor wheel and seals  on the turbo, and to run a compression check on all the cylinders and give it a new set if injectors and a serious tune up, Curt said the rack was way out of whack and that the valve timing is probably way out as well.
I will try and upload the video so everyone can see what I'm talking about. Leave it to Clifford to make me start believing again!

The truth is I have an excellent running 8V71 and I think after the cooling system rebuild she can clear the Rockies so I don't have a whole lot to lose either way right now. But you start getting 10k into a motor and you are out of my tax bracket.

Anybody got any quick hints on uploading video?? Is it the same as photobucket?

Rick

RickB

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2010, 03:55:22 PM »

Hopefully, This will work Here is the video

Rick

RickB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2010, 04:02:19 PM »

In the previous post the oil from the airbox started it and it finished with a full throttle runup.

This one is smoke at idle

thanks for the help

RickB

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 07:45:16 PM »

bump

Nellie Wilson

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2010, 09:32:49 PM »

Rick -

Sorry to learn of your disappoining results... no fun to invest all that effort and come up with less than expected.

To my untrained eye, that blue smoke sure looks like oil. But could the (suspected) out of whack valves cause that? And 60 psi oil pressure sounds a bit much (but I base that on my 8V-71).

Speaking of, since you've got a good '71 why change? You say you want reliability above all... seems you couldn't do better than that old workhorse, leaks and all.  Smiley

The (potential) benefits of the repower just might be more trouble (and $$) than they're worth.

Nellie Wilson

Had to change a tire... Angry  got to put it on backward... Undecided  still trying to fix it on photoshop... Huh Roll Eyes Huh
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2010, 10:12:15 PM »

Rick, Glad it started. I can't tell you much from the video, but my 692 would have smoked you out of that shop LOL! The smoke is gone now and mine was blowing oil from both tubes, I got 400 miles with mine now,the blowing oil is now just a few drips after shut down, and it keeps making more power too! But I didn't have much of a choice cause the old engine was toast and had to be replaced. Your motor did sound strong,and the smoke...  Don Fairchild told me see if it'll clean up, drive the heck out of it, but don't break it. The engine starting up rite away is a good sign, means it has good compression. Did you guys run the rack yet? I know the position you are in, all the best.V
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 10:15:04 PM by van » Logged

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2010, 10:24:17 PM »

Sure looks like you ran the 8V-92TA without water hooked up to it.  It doesn't take alot of running to burn up the cylinder O rings.  At this point, it would be prudent to take the engine apart to see what is worn and bad with it and reassemble with new replacement parts, instead of installing an unknown.  After running the engine like you did without water, I sure wouldn't install it in my bus without a full tear down and reassemble. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Nellie Wilson

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2010, 10:53:05 PM »

Yikes

Good point, Tom C. How did I miss no coolant to a running engine?

Well, I did say "to my untrained eye." But still...good grief! Guess I'd be blowing some smoke too.

Nellie

RickB

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2010, 12:22:03 AM »

Hey all,
The motor was completely full of water and we had all the air out of it. I should have mentioned that earlier.
Tom, I honestly can't afford to tear into this motor like that, if there wasn't a single worn out part on it the bill could be 5-6k in labor just to check. I wish I could but I just can't justify that  with two young kids and a great running 8v71 already in my bus. I remember reading how much your power upgrade cost and thinking I wish I could afford that. I'm calling around in the morning to see how much a couple hours on the dyno will run.
I have taken a breath, and have decided it may be worth it to run it after hearing Van's story. I know you all know how valuable this blog is when you're struggling.
Thanks for being there. I am grateful.
Rick

John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2010, 12:27:19 AM »

Rick,

Stay with it. You have come a long ways...Don't let it weigh on you so much. How do I know it is weighing on you? Check out your time. It is pretty early Wink. Get some sleep. The alarm rings early Grin.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
RickB

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2010, 12:55:56 AM »

Thanks John
Advice heeded...
Good night all.
Rick

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2010, 02:33:35 AM »

Rick,

Do what Clifford tells you is my advice.  Has to be the cheapest way to go.  The dyno will tell you if you need to do a compression test and if the injectors are shot and even if the rack needs run immediately.  Clifford will just love his steak dinner...bet'cha.  Keep him on the phone while the dyno run is in progress.

The very best of luck Buddy,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2010, 04:44:44 AM »

Rick, I would have to agree with Clifford. But this is not a sure thing, same as your 8 71 making it out west and back. I had an injection pump rebuilt, the guy told me when I picked it up there was now a knock in it. Probally an injector leaking, I started home and turned around. It sounded like she was going to come apart. He put some injector cleaner in the tank and in 5 minutes the sound was gone. Never had another problem.
  Moral of the story trust the experts, not people like me. There are a few on here and some have had real experiences with these.           I still think it will clear up.   Tom Y   

Tom Yaegle
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: