Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 16, 2014, 09:23:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We got her running.... with video  (Read 3086 times)
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2010, 03:55:22 PM »

Hopefully, This will work Here is the video

Rick

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
RickB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2010, 04:02:19 PM »

In the previous post the oil from the airbox started it and it finished with a full throttle runup.

This one is smoke at idle

thanks for the help

RickB

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 07:45:16 PM »

bump

Nellie Wilson

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2010, 09:32:49 PM »

Rick -

Sorry to learn of your disappoining results... no fun to invest all that effort and come up with less than expected.

To my untrained eye, that blue smoke sure looks like oil. But could the (suspected) out of whack valves cause that? And 60 psi oil pressure sounds a bit much (but I base that on my 8V-71).

Speaking of, since you've got a good '71 why change? You say you want reliability above all... seems you couldn't do better than that old workhorse, leaks and all.  Smiley

The (potential) benefits of the repower just might be more trouble (and $$) than they're worth.

Nellie Wilson

Had to change a tire... Angry  got to put it on backward... Undecided  still trying to fix it on photoshop... Huh Roll Eyes Huh
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2010, 10:12:15 PM »

Rick, Glad it started. I can't tell you much from the video, but my 692 would have smoked you out of that shop LOL! The smoke is gone now and mine was blowing oil from both tubes, I got 400 miles with mine now,the blowing oil is now just a few drips after shut down, and it keeps making more power too! But I didn't have much of a choice cause the old engine was toast and had to be replaced. Your motor did sound strong,and the smoke...  Don Fairchild told me see if it'll clean up, drive the heck out of it, but don't break it. The engine starting up rite away is a good sign, means it has good compression. Did you guys run the rack yet? I know the position you are in, all the best.V
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 10:15:04 PM by van » Logged

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2010, 10:24:17 PM »

Sure looks like you ran the 8V-92TA without water hooked up to it.  It doesn't take alot of running to burn up the cylinder O rings.  At this point, it would be prudent to take the engine apart to see what is worn and bad with it and reassemble with new replacement parts, instead of installing an unknown.  After running the engine like you did without water, I sure wouldn't install it in my bus without a full tear down and reassemble. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Nellie Wilson

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2010, 10:53:05 PM »

Yikes

Good point, Tom C. How did I miss no coolant to a running engine?

Well, I did say "to my untrained eye." But still...good grief! Guess I'd be blowing some smoke too.

Nellie

Had to change a tire... Angry  got to put it on backward... Undecided  still trying to fix it on photoshop... Huh Roll Eyes Huh
RickB

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2010, 12:22:03 AM »

Hey all,
The motor was completely full of water and we had all the air out of it. I should have mentioned that earlier.
Tom, I honestly can't afford to tear into this motor like that, if there wasn't a single worn out part on it the bill could be 5-6k in labor just to check. I wish I could but I just can't justify that  with two young kids and a great running 8v71 already in my bus. I remember reading how much your power upgrade cost and thinking I wish I could afford that. I'm calling around in the morning to see how much a couple hours on the dyno will run.
I have taken a breath, and have decided it may be worth it to run it after hearing Van's story. I know you all know how valuable this blog is when you're struggling.
Thanks for being there. I am grateful.
Rick

John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2010, 12:27:19 AM »

Rick,

Stay with it. You have come a long ways...Don't let it weigh on you so much. How do I know it is weighing on you? Check out your time. It is pretty early Wink. Get some sleep. The alarm rings early Grin.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
RickB

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2010, 12:55:56 AM »

Thanks John
Advice heeded...
Good night all.
Rick

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2010, 02:33:35 AM »

Rick,

Do what Clifford tells you is my advice.  Has to be the cheapest way to go.  The dyno will tell you if you need to do a compression test and if the injectors are shot and even if the rack needs run immediately.  Clifford will just love his steak dinner...bet'cha.  Keep him on the phone while the dyno run is in progress.

The very best of luck Buddy,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2010, 04:44:44 AM »

Rick, I would have to agree with Clifford. But this is not a sure thing, same as your 8 71 making it out west and back. I had an injection pump rebuilt, the guy told me when I picked it up there was now a knock in it. Probally an injector leaking, I started home and turned around. It sounded like she was going to come apart. He put some injector cleaner in the tank and in 5 minutes the sound was gone. Never had another problem.
  Moral of the story trust the experts, not people like me. There are a few on here and some have had real experiences with these.           I still think it will clear up.   Tom Y   

Tom Yaegle
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: