Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 19, 2014, 08:21:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone have experience with Onan Quiet Diesel Model 3.2 HDZAA-6508X3 generator?  (Read 5426 times)
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« on: February 03, 2010, 02:55:56 PM »

Model 3.2 HDZAA-6508X3 Onan Quiet Diesel generator

http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/html/Common/pdf/specsheets/a-1501.pdf

I know this generator is only 26.7 amps @ 120v, but I think it would be perfect for what I want my bus to be able to do.  Has anyone had any experience with this generator?  It is much lighter than the full size RV generators and much smaller.  It will fit perfectly where I want it to go.  I am currently only wired for 30amps in my bus and have never had the need for more power.  So, I think this would handle what I want power for quite nicely.

Thoughts, opinions?  Is it good or bad?  Is it reliable?
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 03:22:44 PM »

Brian,

Looks good to me. I would guess it would do just fine. However, are you looking at getting it new, or used? I have heard that you can't trust the Onans, like you can some of the others (Kubota's for example).

FWIW

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
edvanland

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 03:30:17 PM »

My experiance with Onan (junk) I would not touch one with a ten foot pole.
ED

Ed Van
MCI 7
Cornville, AZ
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 04:03:58 PM »

Well, so far, I like mine. But then again, I have only put about 50 hours on it over 2 years.

BTW, when I started looking, I figured I could get by with 4KW, but I think 3.2KW would be pushing it a bit to run the basement air, even with augmentation by the inverter.
I couldn't find a 4KW. I ended up with 7.5Kw and it's just about perfect.

Your needs might require less, though. 

craig

« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 04:06:33 PM by gumpy » Logged

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 04:34:41 PM »

Brian, Onan is, by far, the choice of most quality motorhome manufacturers.  That does not mean it is the best, but they would change if there was a big problem. 

The thing I would worry a bit about is that generators are de-rated for altitude. 

Folks have often recommended that you should go with the smallest generator that will do the job.  However, I think that is a pretty marginal capacity.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 05:20:22 PM »

Jim,

Interesting about getting the smallest possible. We went with a big one (20KW), because we didn't think we would regret the extra power. The diesel consumption chart is a graph. Basically if you pull 20KW, you will burn the most. Anyways, we figured we would burn more, having a bigger engine, even if we were pulling, oh say 60 amps, instead of 180 that we can handle. Turns out, it pretty much burns the same amount both ways, bigger engine less load, smaller engine bigger load.

Just the way I have understood it...

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 05:21:44 PM »

Onan has by far the best service network, people I know that own them are happy with the service and performance.
Fwiw I found the independent  generator suppliers units about  impossible get service and parts on the road no one stocks their parts

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 05:29:01 PM »

Craig, you are right, 3.2 KW is marginal and I'm confident I could not run both AC compressors at 100 degrees outside.  However, it might just handle both compressors at 80 degrees outside.  Yes, marginal ... Good points worth contemplating and keeping in mind especially since my inverter is not capable of augmenting the generator.  I'm hoping Outback comes out with generator support someday!
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 05:43:14 PM »

Onan, by far, has the most complaints, but they also have the majority of the RV market too.  A number of diesel pushers are starting to come with Powertech generators, but like Tom says the service will be harder to come by than for Onan.  Cummins has shops all over that also service Onan.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 02:03:11 PM »

The problem with Onan or Kohler (the second largest genset maker) is that they make their own electronics, and you have to buy it from them.  Small independents like Powertech, Wrico International, etc uses universal electronics that are obtainable (many times) through normal parts stores, at a considerable reduction in price.  Practically all genset manufacturers use Kubota, Yanmar, Isuzu, etc and large alternator manufacturers like Seimans, etc.  But-you have to watch even that since I know that with the Onan Kubota powered 3 cylinder, the middle cylinder is different then the other two once again forcing you to buy expensive Onan parts.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 02:13:31 PM »

I happen to have a Powertech Ultimate series generator.  I'm not entirely sure, but there appears to be at least one circuit board that would have to be ordered from Powertech if it blew. 

If it is better or worse than Onan I don't know.  Powertech does make a small generator about the same size as the Onan Brian is looking at, but the Powertech costs almost as much as what I paid for my 8KW model back in Fall 2006.  Powertech's prices in the past three years are through the roof.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 02:44:13 PM »

Don't think for one minute you pick up Dick Wright's stuff off the shelf I have had one of his 13k generators before and he uses a special shut down I tried to buy one from Kubota before and finally had to have one shipped from him at 245.00 bucks

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Fredward

MC-5A #5401 8" roof raise 8V71 with MT647

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 09:10:16 PM »

Brian,
You almost have two threads going here. Will a 3.2 kW do the trick and is an Onan quiet diesel any good. I don't know anything about the diesels, but I do know that 3,000 watts isn't very much. I've got a 7kW genset and most of the time its overkill. But it will run both roof airs when I need it. I've parked next to guys with the Onans and when they have control circuit problems; they don't work AT ALL. Remember the guy in the brand new coach next to me at Rollag two years ago? That was an Onan.

If most of what you're going to do is charge batteries and run some light duty electrical appliances, then I think a little 3.2 kW diesel might be nice. What RPM does it run at? I'm guessing 3600 ? It would be a little screamer.
Fred

Fred Thomson
viento1

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 10:48:55 PM »

What did you decide to do?

I have a onan quiet Deisel 10kw and it is big and heavy and I only use 30 amps anyway. I also noticed that my circuit breaker on the panel although rated for 30 amps can only handle about 28 for any length of time before switching off so I am on the same page as you. I could open up an entire bay (good for skiis, surfboards etc)

Ok, it's time to go on another road trip.
www.randalclark.com
MC5
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 02:52:56 AM »

My 7.5 quite diesel has 1700 trouble free hrs. and uses very little fuel due to a variable speed system.>>>Dan

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: