Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 27, 2014, 06:36:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: windshield  (Read 1648 times)
ruthi

Ignore
« on: February 03, 2010, 06:36:31 PM »

Any ideas on where we might find  windshield gaskets for our dina? We have new windshields to put in already. The old gaskets may be okay, but, would be nice to put in new while they are out.

Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!
James77MCI8

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 06:39:50 PM »

Have you checked with MCI.?

77 MCI 8
8V-71 4 spd
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 07:10:19 PM »

If MCI has it, they will probably be pricey. Our new rubber was 600.

FWIW

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Nellie Wilson

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 07:58:40 PM »

Ruthi -

I have a friend that restores old stuff. He can usually find windshields and such, but the rubber is always shot. He finally found a small 'Ma & Pa' glass shop that would fabricate his gaskets from scratch. "Extremely reasonable," he told me... so I tried them myself.

They removed two of my windows, re-laminated with new glass (which they cut themselves) and reinstalled... including new hand fabricated gaskets. I had my bus back in one day. Total bill: $120 bucks.

Maybe check around to see if there are a few remaining 'craftsmen' in your area? You might find a real 'glass guy' - a refreshing change from the 'one size fits all' (or, even worse, 'no size fits yours') chain store mentality.

My experience was nothing short of great...

Just a thought.

Nellie

Had to change a tire... Angry  got to put it on backward... Undecided  still trying to fix it on photoshop... Huh Roll Eyes Huh
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 08:14:09 PM »

Nellie, nothing around here like that, for sure Undecided 

Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 08:43:54 PM »

Hey John,

I paid about 100 bucks for mine! Another good reason for an Eagle! Roll Eyes

Jefferson Bus was the place.

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 09:54:04 PM »

I got windshield gaskets for my 8 from MCI and it was reasonable if I remember correctly

Check them out

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 04:01:18 AM »

The windshield gaskets on the Dina are huge and all one piece for both windshields.  The only place I know to get them is from MCI.  It cost me between $300 and $400 to replace my gasket.  I know from experience they will start leaking over the years.  My bus was only about a dozen years old when I got it and the gasket were already cracked and leaking a bit.

For some reason MCI has a number of different part numbers for the windshield gasket.  Many of the part numbers are out of stock or discontinued.  Your best bet is to call MCI parts.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 08:26:28 AM »

Brian,

Our rubber was all one piece too. FWIW

Paul, I agree. It would have been nice to find it cheaper. But what can you say...after all I did order from Price Kingdom Roll Eyes

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 08:53:53 AM »

I am a little handicapped here, as I have not actually replaced my windshields.  I think the gaskets are still available, but I have thought to myself, there must be someone out there who makes gasket material that will work.  We have a large distributor here in Denver that carries a ton of upholstery and related components.  I recall seeing what looked like windshield gaskets.  I had my eye on that because I will need special gaskets for a couple of old cars I am working on. 

I am pretty sure they are distributors for C.R. Laurence (http://www.crlaurence.com).  I went to their site, and they have several versions of one and two piece windshield gasket material.  Problem is, it is hard to find it on their website.  If you enter the search term "gasket material"  you will see most of their offerings.  You will have to open each item.  You can also download their catalog as I recall.

On my cars, I had planned to cut the gasket as needed to fit the windshield and then seal the cuts with regular windshield urethane glue that they use to install modern windshields that are glued in place.

If you have an actual piece of your gasket, you can probably get close to the same gasket.  It will not be molded to shape, but I think you can make it work.

Jim
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 08:56:15 AM by rv_safetyman » Logged

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 09:39:03 AM »

We just talked to our glass guy, who is making the glass for the door and windows, and he is going to come out and look at the gasket before he puts the windshield in. He says that it may be just fine, and not need replacing.  I guess sometimes we overdo, but it is nice to do stuff before, and at a convenient point.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: