Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 22, 2014, 08:52:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I please ask for some opinions please. Should I chose an RST or a 4108?  (Read 6260 times)
cody

« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2010, 07:55:40 PM »

BK, you've demonstrated your superior knowledge of all things bus related, and I humbly bow to your ability, I stand by my knowledge of the roads in wisconsin and the useage of salt after having driven on them for 45 years along with the roads in most areas surrounding them.  I will also add that I truely hope you can find some fool to pay the inflated price you seem to feel you're warrented in this market, remember, an item is only worth what a person is willing to pay and I would hope you can find some unwitting individual to spend the extra money that you seem to be demanding but my feelings are that it won't be on this board, the crew here has been around buses for a long time, most have been involved with the most of their lives, in the service area, drivers, owners, in my case converters, we've all been around the block so my suggestion to you is to do some reading here, you may find it to be educational.  Your missteps in confusing trannys, body construction and general bus knowledge is not a sign of a veteran of the bus world.  When I first saw your nicname I thought it was the one of a highly respected individual here on the board that we call BK, after reading the first sentance of your diatribe I knew it wasn't him.
Just Dallas
Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2010, 07:58:13 PM »

This is true at sea level. At altitude it does provide boost to match conditions at sea level. Very nice to have at altitude, it will not suffer power loss. That is why they use the same setup on aircraft.

Wrong.
In a two stroke Detroit Engine the roots blower never, ever matches sea level air pressure at altitude. It's not in the nature of the beast. With one caveat ~ as long as it is a stock configuration. The roots blower in a Detroit can't supply more than the air pressure available at whatever altitude it's at because the engine has no intake valves, only ports, and the exhaust valves are open to the atmosphere until well after bottom dead center.
The engine does suffer power loss at altitude.. that's why it smokes.
In an aircraft with a gasoline engine, the exhaust valves close before the piston starts upward in it's compression stroke and the engine itself draws its own volume of air with the piston moving downward on the intake stroke.
You really need to learn something about the difference between 2 stroke diesel engines and 4 stroke gasoline engines.

In the Two stroke diesel application, the blower is is NOT a supercharger, no matter what it looks like.
I've been a member of the Yahoo GMC group for years, as have many others on this board. There isn't much that you can tell us about GMC's that we haven't seen or done with them.

As for being an "All Aluminum Coach" Geeez, what school did you go to? Every upright, every roof brace, the cap, and many other parts are made of mild steel and rust just like any other mild steel.
Stick a magnet here and there on your bus, you'll be surprised where it does stick.

Maybe you should scrap the bus, just to be sure you can't get anyone else hurt with your misinformation.

I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.
BK

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2010, 08:07:37 PM »

Thanks for the information. I'm going to run out right now and check my roof braces for road salt corrosion.
cody

« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2010, 08:08:51 PM »

Sounds like a good idea.  Do you have any idea what holds your engine in place? If so would you please describe it in the detail you claim to have the knowledge of? Just as a starting point?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 08:10:28 PM by cody » Logged
BK

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2010, 08:19:11 PM »

It is held in with steel bolts connected to a steel cradle which sits behind the steel rear end which is behind the steel front end suspension. All of which are rust free. I am amazed the you people think you can accurately appraise the bus and parts I am selling without ever having seen them or asking what they are. Are you just using your combined "600 years" of experience ( with 2400 members averages out to 3 months each) to telepathically appraise it?
cody

« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2010, 08:21:28 PM »

Now thats entertaining and proves the point lol.
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2010, 09:19:40 PM »

BK,

You are out of the shoot with both guns a blazin'. Welcome to the board. I think you will find that we are here to help, and you will also find that those that spend time here on this board and the other boards are some of the finest people you can meet. I absolutely agree that your items have value. We are talking in generalities here and the original poster didn't include everything in his description. I know you referred him to this site and now you are finding it frustrating that you are having to defend the bus that you have for sale and you really don't need to. I want you to get the fairest price you can for what you have and see the buyer and seller happy. You didn't loose a sale to the OP because his application would not be suited for an intercity bus. I don't like what has happend to prices myself and it saddens me to see some completed conversions scrapped just because they have a bad tranny or blown motor. Unfortunately there is a fellow busnut doing just that very thing. He is trying to reduce his loss by parting his bus out and that is about the best one can do in this economic climate of uncertainty. Now, the OP asked us a question, and we answered it to the best of our ability. We would do the same for you if you asked "I want to sell my bus. How much is it worth?". I am not an appraiser, or pretend to be one, but I have seen many buses for sale. I stand by what I posted and will be the first here to publicly state I was wrong if and when I am. How about posting a list of what you have and some photos of your bus and the parts? That might be a good way to clarify what your saying is a misrepresentation of what you have. We are all a part of a small niche hobby, and if it wasn't for the few bus boards out there with others willing to share their opinions and tips (right or wrong), many of us would not be able to participate.

Barn Owl
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 09:36:47 PM by Barn Owl » Logged

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
cody

« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2010, 09:40:04 PM »

Barn owl, your right, what I did was to condemn a rookie member thats new to the board, thats not what this board is all about, we've got very knowledgeable people here, I'm certainly glad BK is proud of his bus and rightfully so, many here are intimately familiar with the buffalos and they are a fine bus,  they have their issues but most buses do.  I'd like to publically apologize to BK for my taking a stand in regards to the area I live in and the areas surrounding it in regards to whether they use salt or not, and certainly the items have value, all items have value, market value may be a different animal at this time and yes we do throw away many items that once had value too.  Anyone thats been trying to sell a bus is rightfully dismayed at the market conditions, those that are buying are finding value that has been unseen in recent years, in many cases some very nice buses are being scrapped because the prices the buses are bringing are very close to the scrap prices, like it or not, the market is in the toilet while scrap prices are holding on the high side. 
BK

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2010, 10:11:53 PM »

Barn Owl

It is very nice to meet you and read your post. Cody, I accept you apology and send you mine. I have found over the years on GMC-busnut forum, the people are very knowledgeabe, helpful and friendly. I am sure this forum is no different. I was extremely upset and offended when I found out a perspective buyer of my bus was being told it was a piece of junk, over priced and I was an idiot who didn't know anything about what I was selling, all without ever meeting or talking to me, seeing my bus or even asking what exactly it was that I was selling. If the buyer had told me his plans or needs I would have told him myself that a coach was not going to do what he wanted it to do or go where he wanted to go. He represented himself to me as someone who had done his homework and knew what he wanted. I have relisted my bus on craigslist minus all of the extras which I will sell separately, and reduced the asking price to $6000. Still probably high, but I have found that no one will pay asking price for anything anymore, so it is a starting point. BTW what is the going scrap price for one of these old girls. Know anyone looking for a new set of rims and some pretty nice tires???

Respectfully
Brian
cody

« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2010, 10:48:15 PM »

BK, your relisting the bus is a far more logical approach in regards to recouping some money, my personal history involves almost 40 years of piling sawdust in S&S units, travel trailers, buses, homes and almost anything else that can hold a cabinet, perhaps I'm overly sensitive to the volumes of corrosives they put on the roads up here, it's a constant battle to keep ahead of the problem, if buses were concidered disposable then we probably wouldn't care but because they often last for generatiosn it can become an issue that is a headache to deal with.  In the past year I've redone the bays in my iggle and once again have a handle on my personal rust problems, in redoing bus interiors a person becomes painfully aware of each particular buses problem areas, buffalos were not immune to these issues, none of them were, if the bus spent limited time in wisconsin then the issue is mitigated somewhat but regardless, I've waded thru volumes of salt and sand over the years in the road issues from both upper michigan and wisconsin, I live almost directly north of wausaw and travel extensively thru it at all times of the year, most recently being a week and a half ago with my next trip to stephans point coming up in about 3 weeks, anyway, welcome to the board and hopefully your cruise thru here will smooth out somewhat, just be aware that many here on the board have been heavily involved with buses for 30 or 40 years and some many more years than that but I won't tattle on them or reveil there advancing age lol, as far as bus mechanics we have some of the best and some with national reknown, all in all, an extremely knowledgeable and helpful group and one that will help whenever possible but also fiercely independant and protective of the other members of the board.  Now that your a member take some time to get to know the other members and read some of the threads, as another busnut you'll find them interesting I'm sure.  And again, welcome to the insanity.
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2010, 02:20:27 AM »

Hi BK and welcome.  Pretty sure you are the real thing as far as Busnuts go, some of the best usually come here and have some sort of tiff at first (kind of like when a dog meets a new pack).  Anyhow the nuttier bussers always seem up for a scrap I guess it's part of what makes them busnuts.  BTW posts some pics, you never know, when all's said and done you may find a buyer here, and yeah it's a shame about the economy, my bus was a deal when I got it, now I wish I could sell it and buy 5 times the bus for 2 times the price,

JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2010, 05:10:54 AM »

BK,
    Welcome to this BB.  As you have already found, this BB, like any family, occasionally has little tiffs, but overall, it it a great family that will anything to help.  Over the years, we have even raised money for busnuts in need.  Ask a question and you may get more answers than you want, some of which may seem off the wall. Then, it is up to you to sort through the answers and pick the ones that you feel will help you.
     You might want to change your sign-on name.  The reason I say that is because we have a member that signs on as Busted Knuckle and is frequently referred to by other members as BK.  This might avoid some confusion in the future.  (I would not want to be mistaken for Busted Knuckle LOL)   Jack
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 05:14:28 AM by JackConrad » Logged

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2010, 06:20:09 PM »

We were at a pretty good point of mutual apologies here.

Let's all step out for breath of refreshing winter air and try this again in the spirit of those well said apologies.   Wink
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2010, 06:21:10 PM »

Don't let 'em get you down BK-2.  There's a pretty good chocolate to dogsh** or wheat to chaff ratio around here but that doesn't mean there isn't still some chaff and other brown stuff.  If you stick around you'll pretty soon learn to recognize the two by their sources.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
cody

« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2010, 06:33:14 PM »

Seeing as how the attack has now gone off the public sector I'd like to take the moment to publicly retract my apology, it was apparently premature.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: