Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 20, 2014, 09:49:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Worn Slack Adjusters?  (Read 1023 times)
ChuckMC8

1977 MC8 and 1993 102C3 Temple Ga #322 F&AM

Ignore
« on: February 04, 2010, 02:00:57 PM »

My 102C3 brakes are more of a suggestion than a command, So I sent  it to the shop for the pros...they pulled the drive wheels and the components are OK but said the slack adjusters on the drive are really sloppy. All the slacks on rest of wheels are properly adjusted, but the bus still just coasts to a stop. Good air pressure, etc. Any ideas? Thanks

Far better is it to dare mighty things,to win glorious triumphs,even though they may be checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much,because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.  Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)
gus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 04:10:54 PM »

Did they mean the slack adjusters or the cams/wedges inside the drum?

Cams or wedges are not all that expensive but a lot of work to install.

Buses at speed don't often come to a screeching halt no matter how good the brakes.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 04:20:23 PM »

The only way to stop what you are discriping is change the brake shoes to a harder shoe I have the soft shoe also and like it since getting to know it better nice smooth stop they were design to have a soft stop for passengers unlike the truck type shoe

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
jok

Its a bus thing...Im glad were on board!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 06:18:40 PM »

I was not happy with the brake performance on my Prevost last year. It is a 1990 and had only 50,000+ original miles. All the shoes looked good, but I replaced the shoes on the rear and it is now a stopping monster. I had replaced the front slack adjusters earlier in the year because of a "clunking" noise, which did not change brake performance either way.

jok

1990 Prevost
1977 MC8-Sold
Southwest Michigan
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 08:21:07 PM »

I had the drums and shoes on my bus replaced by a bus garage shortly after I bought my bus.  I nearly put myself through the windshield the first time I hit the brakes after leaving the shop.  The braking was much better.

They did have to replace one actuator or slack adjuster up front as it was shot.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 10:37:16 PM »

Many times what looks to be a sloppy slack adjuster, is the S cam bushing being worn out keeping from getting a proper wheel adjustment.

For stopping power, softer shoes will make for more agressive stopping, but less resistance to heat. Harder linings work better with higher heat, but typically require more pedal pressure.  For our use, just stay with the standard gray block-you'll be the happiest. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: