Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 30, 2014, 08:27:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 8V92TA DDEC II oil level  (Read 4327 times)
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2010, 04:15:11 PM »

Hey Don may be on to something here. We had an intermittent problem which eventually turned out to be water in the tail lights (I'm not joking here) that was causing the main circuit breaker to pop and a couple minutes later it would fire right up and run for a few seconds, overheat the breaker and shut down.

Good thinking Don.

Rick

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
Sam 4106

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2010, 07:22:16 PM »

Thanks for the additional thoughts guys.
Don, that is a good idea and easy to try. I am open to any suggestions.
Clifford, I have had the batteries off with the main disconnect but I'm guessing that doesn't disconnect the computer. I will try your suggestion tomorrow. The pins that I should clean are the ones connected to the computer aren't they? I have not done that. Where on the engine is the oil pressure sensor? The only one I see, other than the gauge sender, is on the dipstick side of the engine near the fan drive pulley. Is that it? Thanks for the oil capacity, too.
Rick, yes I am the Sam you met at the rally last fall. I sure hope it isn't the drool you left on my engine that is causing the problem, LOL. I am totally baffled by what is happening with this crank but no start problem. The oil enters the engine in the center of the passenger side valve cover through a flexible hose to the rear of the engine compartment. My brother told me to remove the cover on the oil fill tube and see what that does. He thinks there may by pressure building up in the crankcase and is being relieved when I remove the oil fill cover. That sounds kind of offbeat but who knows what is causing the problem. I am confident that the solution will be found with the help of the members of the board and my tenacity to keep trying.
Thanks to all that have offered suggestions, Sam MC8

1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740
RickB

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2010, 08:50:04 PM »

Sam if it is one of those breakers and I doubt it is because you have a DDEC but if it is you will hear it reset right by your left leg in the front electrical panel.

hmmmmm.  Clifford's probably right...     again

and someone will get their problem fixed     again

Clifford always wins. It's not fair I tell you. LOL Grin Grin

We should all count our blessings for the combined knowledge represented on this board, about 97% of which resides in Clifford, Don and Tom C.  Shocked

Sam I always smile when I think of that rig of yours. Heck I liked the motor so much I went and bought one. Just a matter of time and money before we're gonna be dueling turbo's. Sweet music to a gearheads ears.

Lea and I and the kids send a big hug to you and Char from snowy Minnesota

See you next summer my friend. Stay warm and stay well.

Rick

robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2010, 09:22:09 AM »

Sam wanted to bring this foward as I never heard outcome and the grimlin is after me now.

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Sam 4106

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2010, 10:02:34 AM »

Hi Robert,

Are you having the same problem I had of having to add oil before your engine will start? If you are, what have you tried to correct the problem?

I haven't gotten a resolution to the problem YET! I had to order the oil I want to use (Exxon XD 3) and it took weeks to get it. Makes me wonder if I made the right choice from an availability standpoint, but I ordered 24 gallons so that will last a while. When I get the oil changed to know where full on the dipstick really is, I may learn that I have been keeping the oil level too low, just to the full mark on the dipstick. If so, I hope that solves the problem. I am currently waiting for a new dry air filter and don't want to drive the bus, to warm it up, without one, although it is raining today so it probably wouldn't matter. I put in a new air filter just before our trip to Arizona (4000 miles round trip) but we drove in a dust storm for an hour and a half, or so, and now the filter minder shows 11 inches of vacuum so I decided to change the filter. I think I would be paying for the cost of the new filter in increased fuel usage anyway. Sorry I couldn't help at this time.

I have done some of the things that have been suggested. I disconnected the batteries, filled the oil to above the full mark, and checked the terminal connections on the DDEC. It's still winter here so I haven't done too much on the bus until lately. I will update  everyone on my progress when I can.

Good luck, Sam MC8

robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2010, 10:35:57 AM »

raining here also just know I need to address problem before I go home in April,Just ask as I think mine is a relay kicking out:was just trying to cover all bases while in pre problem shooting phase...ThanK you ...will let you know results and diagonis proceedure

RickB

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2010, 11:33:11 AM »

Hey Sam,

Rick barron here. Great talking to you yesterday. You are a really good guy to have so near. Lea and I are looking forward to making the trip down to visit you and Char soon.

Just a thought... I'm not sure where you are getting your air filters and I know the 92 filter is a higher volume filter than my 71 but I found that Mohawks prices on air filters is considerably less than most folks.

Just letting you know for future reference,

Let us know how that oil/starting thing turns out

Take care of yourself my friend,

Rick

robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2010, 12:41:26 PM »

Found mine a corroded wire end on the low coolent sensor..good luck on yours

Sam 4106

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2010, 05:36:36 PM »

Hi Robert,
I'm glad you found the problem so quickly. Good job!
Thanks for the update, Sam MC8

Sam 4106

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2010, 03:12:01 PM »

Hi folks,

I think I can finally put this thread to rest. I started the bus twice yesterday with no problem. Warmed the engine up, changed oil and filter, and refilled with 6 gallons of oil plus the filter as Clifford had suggested. The dipstick showed a little above the full mark so I added the seventh gallon which brought the oil up on the dipstick to the mark that PO had added. So now I know that I have to maintain the oil level between the original full mark and the mark that was added. I think disconnecting the batteries is what allowed the engine to start without adding oil every time. Anyway, things seem to be back to normal.

Thanks again for all the help, Sam MC8

RickB

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2010, 03:15:11 PM »

Sam,

Way to go buddy! I knew you'd get that thing fixed it was just a matter of time.

Rick

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: