Good Evening from a snowy Minnesota evening,
After alot of thought and some great input from friends I have given the go ahead to my mechanic to rebuild the turbo, test the injectors and finish the tune up. Then the plan is to cover it up and spend some time trying to find all the parts I need to do the repower and the list is extensive to say the least.
Finally I am going to trust the big "3" (Clifford, Don and my mechanic Curt) and install the beast and run it until
it cleans itself out and quits spittin' up it's dinner. (airbox drains LOL
) There is a combined belief among the 3 of them that says she'll quit smoking and leaking. After my conversation with Van (thanks buddy) I'm certain I'm not the first guy to start an engine that hasn't been run in a while and encountered some smoke and leaks and that some here among us have seen much worse than mine clear up and run great.
Still haven't made the decision of making the changeover before or after our Yellowstone trip the last two weeks of June. It depends on how much trouble I have finding parts for a reasonable price. Thanks to some suggestions from folks here I am going to hold on to my 8v71 for a while just as a backup plan.
Thanks to all of you that talked me down from the ledge I appreciate it.
Man if I had trouble flooring my 8V71 what am I gonna do when something actually happens when I hammer it??
I will keep you all informed as to the results of the tuneup.