Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
October 18, 2017, 11:43:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This bus is on my top ten list to have: 1954 Gmc 4501 And it's for sale.  (Read 4046 times)
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« on: February 08, 2010, 08:35:59 PM »

I can dream: 1954 Gmc 4501

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
kyle4501

NEWELL in South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 08:38:53 PM »

Looks like my ship was lost at sea

& the damn train derailed too!  Roll Eyes

Looks like I can't do anything on this cool cruiser.   Cry

Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)
cody

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 08:46:16 PM »

All I can do is admire this bus, I have a great fondness for art and to me this is just that, the scenics were by far almost as nice as the classic iggles, (sorry) and a true thing of beauty.  I appreciate the classic lines, the clean appearance, a true classic for sure, in my opinion very few buses attained this level, we all look at our buses differently and I view a well turned cabinet or a smooth clean sidewall with a deep admiration of the pride of craftmanship that went into it.  Anytime I see a bus with a new skin for some reason I'm drawn to look down the side and check for ripples, I want to know if it was hot rolled or cold rolled for some strange unknown reason, just part of the madness I guess. Are we all infected this way or is it just a personal illness.  At some point in my life i'd like to create the ultimate bus, would have to be an iggle tho, as long as I have mine for daily use I could be free to create another one that someday would say everything that I wanted it to say, perhaps in the next life, it's always a pleasure to dream of what could be.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 08:55:31 PM by cody » Logged
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 08:50:17 PM »

That's a nice coach I love the color of the outside( deep blue) never been inside since the new owner  but never cared for the conversion of the PO and unless they did repairs to the 8v71 engine that is one hard to start baby when the temp is around 50 degrees that may be reason he doesn't want to take it to SLC lol

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 08:18:34 AM »

Sounds like a worn out engine.  ANY 2 stroke Detroit should start well below 50 degrees without ether.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 09:31:46 AM »

Worn out engine or not that is probably the second most beautiful Scenic  I have ever laid eyes on! I remember when he was doing a bunch of work to it and posting pics of the work as it progressed and am still in awe of it!

The most impressive I have seen has had much, much, much more modifications done to it and is even probably my least favorite color in the world (red). But the RED definitely looks awesome on it and shows off the fine craftsmanship in building it! (I'd keep it exacly the way it is if I were ever able to "aquire" it! Wink )  

So  is that bus still owned by Ray or is the current owner someone else? (I meant Frank, but had a brainfart! Thanks for the reminder Kyle! Wink )

Also I never knew about it being stolen!  Cry  How could anyone ever hope to get away with hiding a beautiful bus like that!  Angry
Grin  BK  Grin
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 10:57:31 AM by Busted Knuckle » Logged

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
philiptompkjns

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 10:05:23 AM »

the "Call for price" is always  a  bad sign.

1990 102a3... Just got started, don't  know  what I'm doing.
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 10:24:42 AM »

the "Call for price" is always  a  bad sign.

Maybe, and maybe not. I usually side with you on that, but you really have to go back and see the awesome work that has been put into this coach on the chassis & exterior to appreciate it.

FWIW  Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
kyle4501

NEWELL in South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 10:50:49 AM »

Bill Dumas converted it from seated & after using it for a while, he decided to sell it via 'owner financing' Shocked . Due to the terms of the contract, Bill became the legal owner when the buyer didn't keep up with the payments, since it wasn't returned, it became classified as stolen - eventually Bill got his bus back. Bill went back to using it & added the automatic transmission.

Later, Bill sold it to the current owner, Frank. who is one heck of a very talented guy! !
Frank painted it black & added the tribute graphics. He also added his touch inside.

Last time I talked to Frank, his pricing seemed very reasonable when you consider all the work done . . . - assuming you want it as-is & don't have to re-do anything.  Cool

Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)
pd4501-771
Tom McNally

PD4501-771 "All 43 seats.....still a bus !"

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 12:27:45 PM »

One could not even begin to do a Scenic to this level for what he is asking. Last price I heard was around $69K. But don't hold me to it. It's not mine. You all need to talk to Frank. I personally like Frank's bus better than Pat McNeil's as it still retains the proper original proportions. I do not care for the altered cowl height and sun visors on Pat's 45 footer. But you know what they say about opinions!

Tom

PD4501-771
PD4501-1001
PD4104-3462
PD3751-686

If you know of the whereabouts of a PD4501 Scenicruiser - I would like to add the serial number to my registry of surviving Scenics.  www.tomsgarageonline.com
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 12:51:17 PM »

One could not even begin to do a Scenic to this level for what he is asking. Last price I heard was around $69K. But don't hold me to it. It's not mine. You all need to talk to Frank. I personally like Frank's bus better than Pat McNeil's as it still retains the proper original proportions. I do not care for the altered cowl height and sun visors on Pat's 45 footer. But you know what they say about opinions!

Tom

Tom you are so right about opinions and preferences! And while I agree about the originality of Franks bus (or even more original your seated one), I love original, but I also respect and love the time, effort, & craftsmanship that has gone into Pat's bus.

Just if they were both the same ball park figure of what I have in my pocket I would choose Pat's.
Of course if someone were GIVING me either one (or even one of yours) I'd take it graciously and love it just the same while being forever grateful! (hint, hint Wink )
Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 09:27:14 PM »

Sounds like a worn out engine.  ANY 2 stroke Detroit should start well below 50 degrees without ether.

Mine takes ether at 90, so this would be a big upgrade for me.

All joking aside, a worn out engine is not a show stopper, as I am living proof.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
RJ
Angola Coach Conversion "Aesop's Tortoise"

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 09:59:36 PM »

All joking aside, a worn out engine is not a show stopper, as I am living proof.

Tell me about it. . . You should have heard it wheezing in the hot, dry, dusty air around Fresburg last summer!

Thank goodness the kids loved the pizza!

Cheesy

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
S13406 1978 MC-5C Converted
6V71/MT-644
S14947 1980 MC-5C Shell
6V92/HT-740
Cheney WA
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 04:18:08 AM »

I had the honor of talking to Frank for about an hour not too long after we got ours, one of the best hours I have ever spent!
Jack
PS...by the way...this aint the only work of art he has created!

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
pd4501-771
Tom McNally

PD4501-771 "All 43 seats.....still a bus !"

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 06:54:50 AM »

BK

you are right. I would'nt kick either one out of my shed! I'd be dangerous if I had money!

Tom McNally

PD4501-771
PD4501-1001
PD4104-3462
PD3751-686

If you know of the whereabouts of a PD4501 Scenicruiser - I would like to add the serial number to my registry of surviving Scenics.  www.tomsgarageonline.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: