Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 30, 2014, 09:46:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What injectors did my 8V92 come with??  (Read 3538 times)
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2010, 08:35:04 PM »

Thanks guys for the input

I will start a new thread. The reason I need to change mine out is the truck was a 12 volt system and my bus is a 24 volt.

I have been stranded once with my 8v71 because of a starter. well, actually I am pretty sure it was dirty grounds but we were out in Northern Wisconsin and the mechanic I got out of the local directory insisted I buy the new starter. Man some of those backwoods mechanics are kinda iffy. The guy didn't show up at our planned start time of 8 a.m. in fact, he showed up at noon! Well, needless to say I  went ahead and put the starter in myself and he still wanted to charge me his labor. I paid him for the part and gave hime $20 and said have a nice day. Long story short the resort owner that we were at almsot called the cops on the guy. When I brought the old starter in for my core at the starter shop in Hayward the guy tested mine and it worked fine.

One of the guys from this blog suggested I clean all the grounds and I did and voila. Yet antoher good piece of advice from the bus blog.

Thanks

Rick

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
Don Fairchild

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2010, 09:01:41 AM »

Joe;

The rebuild V re man debate has been going in for a long time. this is a question that has been asked of EPA CARB and others to define, and it has not been put to rest. If you and I had the time and money we could go around the US and Canada to most shops and see them going through an engine by the book using the same standards as the factory. Why can the factory call there's a re man and another shop call there's a rebuild. Detroit does not melt down all the parts and re manufacture an engine. They tear it down clean inspect and rebuild the engine using new parts as required just like most re builders. When we don't use the DDC parts but buy them from the same people that makes them for the factory why have I rebuilt your engine and not re maned it. When I take your water pump  apart clean and install a new impeller, shaft, bearing and seal why is it rebuilt but when the factory does the same thing it is a re man pump.

Remember Jim Morrow is releasing a pr statement,that's his job, he wants to sell engines and parts.

When you bought your bus and rebuilt it fixing every thing that need to be fixed did you re manufacture it or rebuild it.

If you fix your brakes buy installing new shoes, rollers, s cams drums, studs, did you re man them or rebuild them.

Don
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2010, 09:25:18 AM »

Don,
Those are really good points but I still like having you, Clifford and others reminding us of what you have seen in your vast combined hands on experience. For instance, we rely on you folks to let us know about items that may have longer or shorter shelf lives because most of the stuff we see on ebay has been sitting somwehere a good long time.

Also there's nothing like having experienced folks giving us real time data as opposed to some guy who may have never seen the item he is talking about installed.

We have a saying in the music business. Those who can do... Those who can't teach. I know alot of folks who can read every chart and know every chord that music has to offer who can't play in tune or in time, most of them have good jobs teaching music and theory while guys like me have spent years gathering experience on stages all over the world. There is good in both vocations but if you really get into the big leagues of music you will probably be better served by experience all the while remembering what got you to that point was good solid teaching.

They both serve a purpose in the end.

Knowing it's dangerous to generalize on this board I would suggest that many of us here are reaching a point where our owners manuals have taken us about as far as they are gonna take us and we need the value of experience more and more. 

It's good to have knowledge but it's really great to have knowledge and hands on experience, and that is what you and others bring to this board.

Rick

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: