Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 11:51:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, we will replace all of your E-Mags for free.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will fire damaged Stainless polish out?  (Read 1078 times)
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« on: February 09, 2010, 06:04:47 PM »

I'm not home or would try to do...I bought a shell that some of the polished stainless is dis colored from a tire fire..will it polish out?? it is not disformed..I know replacement is preferred,but I would rather use the $ for other conversion needs..

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 07:39:03 PM »

Hi Bob,

Yes.. But, as you might know there are preferred methods of doing so..

Start with metal prep solvent to remove any black build-up and contaminents before you

use any polishing compounds. Shocked

Can't wait to see this coach when your done! Wink

Good Luck
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Skykingrob

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 07:54:54 PM »

Hey Robert
I do know if it will or not but I can tell you how to go about polshing the SS siding on our Prevost as that is what I currently am doing.
Step 1. Find someone else with a strong back and weak mind to do it!!!
Step 2. Go to Grisleys web site, find the polishing buffs, pick out 2-3 of the hard spiral wound buffs in yellow,
           buy the black polish compound, fill the buff with compound and start polishing with a polisher. I bought
           mine from Harbour Freight. Keep the buffs moving as the pads on SS create alot of heat but keep
           polishing with this buff until the surface gets close to mirror. BTW, International Bus has a kit they will
           sell you that has everything in it but the buffs they supply are the soft muslin and it takes forever to
           get a good mirror finish, so we went to Grisley for the harder buffs and it cut the work time by
           probably 70%.
Step 3. Change buffs, change to green compound, polish to get the mirror then change buffs to soft cotton
           untreated (white) muslin, change to white compound and polish till you are satisfied.
Step 4. Move to next spot

With this process, it is taking about 2.5 hours to do an area the size of the bay door from gunky to like new mirror finish. I estimate I will have about 60-70 man hours to do it back to factory. I know this is more than you ask for but might help you or someone else. Oh and one other tip, eye and breathing protection is a must. Good luck

Rob
91 Prevost LeMirage XL
Missouri

robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 04:33:04 AM »

I'm on vacation now..was going to get new skin while in fla to save freight....I have decided to buff now....thanks for answers...lots of decisions to be made before I get home and go full force..Buses are chalangeing.....Buses are good..

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 06:01:58 AM »

"Will be last bus I do" Wink

Bob is Judy really convinced or just going along with it because it's "what you say"? Wink
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 06:38:29 AM »

Robert, you will never get the blue out of the SS it will look good for a few weeks and then return I got my SS to hot with a buffer one time and the blue returns in about 2 weeks in that area.

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: