Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 20, 2014, 07:20:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will this starter work on my 8V92?  (Read 3207 times)
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« on: February 10, 2010, 06:59:05 AM »

Sorry folks to ask so many questions but I have begun the process of looking around for parts and I am wondering if this starter will fit.

My engine serial # is 8VF091830. The enigne I purchased a came out of a truck with a 12 volt system MCI is 24.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DETROIT-DIESEL-ENGINE-DELCO-REMY-24-VOLT-STARTERS-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem45f0ee2282QQitemZ300394881666QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

Thanks I really do appreciate it,

Look at the good side of things you guys will be able to look at my bus at a rally here soon and feel like you rebuilt it!!

Rick

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
RickB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 07:03:34 AM »

Or better yet is there a resource (like a cross referencing parts catalog) that they sell for my motor or are most of you calling around like me? If so, I should just do that myself.

Rick

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 07:14:28 AM »

Rick, wait on a starter I have the 24v I am going to give you.
Fwiw if the starter on your 71 is a 42 or 50 it will work on a 92
 I need a photo of the bell housing you need, think I know but would like a photo to be sure so can you post the one on your 71 also one of the front mounts on the 71.
Then we will ask for help from the guys to get this stuff to you  

good luck
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 07:20:15 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 08:15:45 AM »

There ya go Rick from the master himself!

Also Rick, when laying out cold hard cash for one, if it were me, I wouldn't buy anything but the new smaller gear reduction style starters!

Just wait until your out in the freezing rain/snow on Super Bowl Sunday (2 yrs in a row now!) changing one to thank me for the tip! (2 different buses and yes this time I bit he bullet and got the "little one" - much easier to change!)

But fer free I'll use what comes along! Wink
FWIW  Grin  BK  Grin  (the politically incorrect busnut! Wink )

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
RickB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 09:07:43 AM »

Clifford that is indeed good news that my starter which I just bought last summer will work. I will get down to the bus this weekend and get some pictures of my bellhousing and the motor mounts and while I'm there I'll check but I'm almost positive that my starter is a 42.

Some other good news is a friend owns a large chain of furniture stores and he and his wife have graciously offered to replace the teal and mauve couches from hell as a gift to us. Shameless plug for the folks in the upper midwest buy at Slumberland the owners are good people. Dave Benck correctly diagnosed my bus A/C last fall and has graciously oredered the part for me that I needed and he is going to help me get our bus air freezing cold again.

Curt said that some of the bolts that secure the jake brakes were like finger tight on the motor so he is hoping that the tune up is really gonna help the situation. They welded the valve covers and put the correct lifting eyes on my motor so we don't damage the valve covers again. It has been a really good week and I can honestly say it is safe for me to drive over bridges again!!! For a minute there I didn't know whether to throw the motor off one (which is not highly recommended considering they weigh a ton and a half) or jump in myself!!! Just kidding

Taking my time and being diligent is the right road for me. Less stressful by a long shot.

Clifford once again.... you rock!

Rick

bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 09:53:58 AM »

I like Bryce's advice regarding the gear drive starters (39MT series).  I put 4 of the 42 series on in the space of 2 years before I found the 39 series and I haven't had to replace the first one of them yet (going on 4 years now).  As Bryce pointed out, when I do have to replace it I can balance it on one hand with my arm fully extended.  Try that with a 42MT and you'll know why we like the 39 series.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 10:22:28 AM »

I am with you, Bob and Bryce. I am one for the MT39's too. Those things are very nice. Not to mention, our starter is behind every wire that they could possibly think of running in front of it. So it takes some pretty cool jockeying to get that into position. One of those big dudes, is tough to get in. I also have my safety in mind, because at one point as I was removing the old one, I was underneath it. If I dropped that baby, I would have had a huge impression left with me.

That new MT39...awesome! Like Bob said, I can hold her out, and maneuver it into position, behind all of those wires.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 11:05:00 AM »

What a bunch of pansies the 42 weighs 28 lbs more that 39  the 39 is at 30 lbs and 42 at 58 lbs you guys enjoy the 39 if something happens on the road you throw it away not going to find parts and you buy another with the 42 Napa is going to have the parts and don't think your not going to have problems with the soft start feature.
 That is one reason Prevost has that starter as a preventive maintenance item in their manual . 
I'll stick with old 42 till I get weak like you guys LOL

Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 11:12:20 AM »

I like Bryce's advice regarding the gear drive starters (39MT series).  I put 4 of the 42 series on in the space of 2 years before I found the 39 series and I haven't had to replace the first one of them yet (going on 4 years now).  As Bryce pointed out, when I do have to replace it I can balance it on one hand with my arm fully extended.  Try that with a 42MT and you'll know why we like the 39 series.

Just to clarify. I haven't had to replace a 39 series yet either. (this is the first one I have bought, but NOT THE LAST!)

Clifford if I had yer weather everytime I needed to change one, & lots of room like the old buses had to get to it, I would too! Grin

Last year on Super Bowl Sunday I was on a service call half way across TN replacing a 50 series on a "customers piece of junk" in the freezing rain. (which we now own, what a sweet bus Wink
This year I had to change one out in the parking lot of a fuel stop in the snow on a different one of ours! (but at least the guy I got the replacement from only had a 39 series!It made me cringe a little when he told me the price and "it's the only thing I have in stock for 24V in a Detroit! And whatcha ya gonna do on Super Bowl Sunday, an hr from home no spare starter with ya, and a driver needing to get on the road to pick up his group? Oh yeah 4 hrs before kick-off {which is why the driver was doing the trip in the first place! Wink )
Grin  BK  Grin  (the politically incorrect busnut! Wink )

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
John316

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 11:21:46 AM »

I'll stick with old 42 till I get weak like you guys LOL

Clifford,

lol, yup, I am weak then. If it was just a matter of installing it, no problem. The problem with ours lies in the fact that all the ECM wires run in front of the starter. And that extra 28 pounds makes a difference (for me anyways). Shoot, if I would have known that you liked the 42, I had one sitting around here, I would have let you have. You would have probably been able to rebuild it. Bummer, I just gave it to a buddy in town to scrap it (well that was a couple of weeks ago).

God bless,

John

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 11:26:28 AM »

If you guys need spares Blanchard in Seattle sells  the MT 39 12v for 239.00 and 24v for 249.00 www.blanchardelectric.com   
 I can buy for less than 200.00.
 A good thing about the old 42 is any equipment dealer like J.D, Cat,DD, or Cummins are going to have parts the mt 39 is a throw away starter like every thing else made today
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 11:31:28 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 11:34:03 AM »

If you guys need spares Blanchard in Seattle sells  the MT 39 12v for 239.00 and 24v for 249.00 I can buy for less than 200.00. www.blanchard.com
A good thing about the old 42 is any equipment dealer like J.D, Cat,DD, or Cummins are going to have parts

Not on Super Bowl Sunday in BFT!

And yes I would have loved to have paid that! I paid double that! "That will be $500 in CASH, NO CHECK, NO CREDIT CARD, NO CORE, NO BS, NO RETURN! Oh did I mention it's Super Bowl Sunday? Whatcha gonna do? I'm not gonna fool around wait'n all day fer ya to make up yer mind!"

Grin  BK  Grin  (the politically incorrect busnut! Wink )

www.kylakesidetravel.net

bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 12:00:20 PM »

If you guys need spares Blanchard in Seattle sells  the MT 39 12v for 239.00 and 24v for 249.00 www.blanchardelectric.com   
 I can buy for less than 200.00.
 A good thing about the old 42 is any equipment dealer like J.D, Cat,DD, or Cummins are going to have parts the mt 39 is a throw away starter like every thing else made today

I'm gonna buy me one of them on the way by.  That's a LOT less than they sell for in Canuckland.  A LOT LESS.

And if it works for over 4 years and I don't have to change that other miserable heavy SOB every other month then I don't mind if its a throwaway.  Honest - I had one of the 42 series didn't make it one whole week.  That was a NAPA warranty but I still had to drag the old one out and hoist the new one back in.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 12:07:38 PM »

Bob, when you get close to buying call me maybe I can get you my price there, mine are always shipped  I don't know if that matters or not. 

good luck

RickB

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 04:26:07 PM »

When I changed mine out last year I used ratchet straps and ratcheted that baby right up and in. I didn't have a floor jack or it would have been easier!!! I have to go with Clifford on this one except I'm not ever gonna try and actually lift one of those puppies by hand. There's no way I could lift that into place without some sort of mechanical help.

The nagging question remains though.... just how many of us have replaced them only to find it was dirty ground connections.

I know I count for one.

Rick

Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2010, 04:54:14 PM »

When I changed mine out last year I used ratchet straps and ratcheted that baby right up and in. I didn't have a floor jack or it would have been easier!!! I have to go with Clifford on this one except I'm not ever gonna try and actually lift one of those puppies by hand. There's no way I could lift that into place without some sort of mechanical help.

The nagging question remains though.... just how many of us have replaced them only to find it was dirty ground connections.

I know I count for one.

Rick

Well on an older MCI (and others) a ratchet strap or floor jack work great! But on some (alot!) of newer buses with ECMs there just ain't room to get into it without tangling the straps in the wires. And some (Setra's) ya better have a floor jack that goes up, side ways, back up and to the other side! (none of mine do that! Wink )

Not a bad ground,
(as that is one thing I always check) but a broken wire on the back of the alternator yes!   (happened to be the problem on the bus I worked on last year on Super Bowl Sunday! But the owner insisted "it has to be the starter, I just put in new batteries last week!" Who am I to argue with the customer paying $125 /hr for a service call on Super Bowl Sunday for what could have waited until Monday at $75 /hr? I put the starter on and still had to jump the solenoid to start it! Then he say's "Well I don't really have to have it the next few days, you go on and take it back to yer shop and fix it now that you got it started!")
Grin  BK  Grin  (the politically incorrect busnut! Wink )

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2010, 05:59:51 PM »

Well starter experts, I have a 42 24v with 12 teeth. Any idea what it fits? I have a couple bad 37 starters, anyone intrested in working on them?  Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
RickB

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2010, 06:10:54 PM »

Tom Y

I'm a seasoned veteran at grinding, sanding, and sealing grounds LOL Grin Cheesy

niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2010, 02:00:45 AM »

Rick - As I was going down the thread - you took the words right out of my  mouth - If you don't check your Batt's or wiring first ..... you end up with an EXTRA starter .....  Roll Eyes

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2010, 05:47:36 AM »

Rick

Well, I replaced a starter ($250) because of a failed fuel pressure switch ($16).  Does that count??   But I did learn something, look at the wiring diagram and check EVERYTHING in the circuit before replacing the most expensive item in the circuit.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
John316

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2010, 11:01:02 AM »

I knew that our starter was going bad. Why? Because when it wouldn't start I went back there and used a plastic sand filled mallet, and socked that baby a good one. After whopping it a couple of time, it would usually start.

New starter fixed that problem.

God bless,

John

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: