Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 08:19:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will this starter work on my 8V92?  (Read 3217 times)
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2010, 04:54:14 PM »

When I changed mine out last year I used ratchet straps and ratcheted that baby right up and in. I didn't have a floor jack or it would have been easier!!! I have to go with Clifford on this one except I'm not ever gonna try and actually lift one of those puppies by hand. There's no way I could lift that into place without some sort of mechanical help.

The nagging question remains though.... just how many of us have replaced them only to find it was dirty ground connections.

I know I count for one.

Rick

Well on an older MCI (and others) a ratchet strap or floor jack work great! But on some (alot!) of newer buses with ECMs there just ain't room to get into it without tangling the straps in the wires. And some (Setra's) ya better have a floor jack that goes up, side ways, back up and to the other side! (none of mine do that! Wink )

Not a bad ground,
(as that is one thing I always check) but a broken wire on the back of the alternator yes!   (happened to be the problem on the bus I worked on last year on Super Bowl Sunday! But the owner insisted "it has to be the starter, I just put in new batteries last week!" Who am I to argue with the customer paying $125 /hr for a service call on Super Bowl Sunday for what could have waited until Monday at $75 /hr? I put the starter on and still had to jump the solenoid to start it! Then he say's "Well I don't really have to have it the next few days, you go on and take it back to yer shop and fix it now that you got it started!")
Grin  BK  Grin  (the politically incorrect busnut! Wink )

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2010, 05:59:51 PM »

Well starter experts, I have a 42 24v with 12 teeth. Any idea what it fits? I have a couple bad 37 starters, anyone intrested in working on them?  Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2010, 06:10:54 PM »

Tom Y

I'm a seasoned veteran at grinding, sanding, and sealing grounds LOL Grin Cheesy

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2010, 02:00:45 AM »

Rick - As I was going down the thread - you took the words right out of my  mouth - If you don't check your Batt's or wiring first ..... you end up with an EXTRA starter .....  Roll Eyes

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2010, 05:47:36 AM »

The nagging question remains though.... just how many of us have replaced them only to find it was dirty ground connections.
Rick

Well, I replaced a starter ($250) because of a failed fuel pressure switch ($16).  Does that count??   But I did learn something, look at the wiring diagram and check EVERYTHING in the circuit before replacing the most expensive item in the circuit.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2010, 11:01:02 AM »

I knew that our starter was going bad. Why? Because when it wouldn't start I went back there and used a plastic sand filled mallet, and socked that baby a good one. After whopping it a couple of time, it would usually start.

New starter fixed that problem.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: