Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 23, 2014, 06:26:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, we will replace all of your E-Mags for free.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 3206 times)
QuagmireMan

Ignore
« on: February 10, 2010, 08:11:53 AM »

Well to keep a long story short... a few years back a friend and I bought a PD-4107 (1967) and he ended up backing out of the deal and I got stuck with the whole thing  Angry

I have been slowly working on it through college, but now that I am graduated I am trying to choose what to do with the darn thing. Paid 10k for it put maybe $1200 into it so far. It was a previous conversion and lived in by 8 people!! So I started new on the inside. I feel like to finish the inside I would have about $1800 in it.

But here are the things that are making me have second thoughts...
-The power steering has been removed (I want it back... either making my own system or finding an old one)
-The front glass is cracked, 2 of the sliders are cracked, and drivers left side glass is cracked too
-It has only 1 roof air, which I don't think will be enough while on the road

When I think about those 3 things, I feel like this could be another 10k in work!

I am just about to start a new job, so money really isn't the largest issue... but I think that maybe just buying a house and selling the bus would be a better option. I am also trying to start a business on the side so I feel like I won't have a lot of time to work on it.

Would you think selling it is the best option?

If I were to sell it, what do you think I could get for it?

What do you think it would cost to fix those 3 things?

Just looking to see what you guys think
QuagmireMan

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 08:13:02 AM »

And what is up with the bouncing of the text box, once the message gets longer?

here is a picture:

« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 08:20:23 AM by QuagmireMan » Logged
philiptompkjns

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 09:08:16 AM »

It  looks like a great  project, you  should try to take it out and  have some fun with it.
I had  a lot of fun with the class  C  in college.... but wanted a bus.
You should do just as little as possible to get it to usable condition, then do the rest as time and money permits.

1990 102a3... Just got started, don't  know  what I'm doing.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 09:08:49 AM »

As far as a bus conversion goes, ANY bus you buy will have certain items that need to be replaced.  What you described are relatively minor (blown engine/transmission/axles/brakes, etc are major).  Easy to add another roof top air near to the front for air going down the road, and replacing glass-well, it's just one of those things.  I had my air assist steering replaced with full Sheppard power steering-now is finger tip.  It cost about $2,000.00, but then you're driving a heavy duty commercial vehicle that costs alot when you replace or repair anything.  But-it also affords you the longest life expectancy and more importantly the metal protection you'd never get in a normal motorhome. You've had the bus for a few years so you know what the bus is all about.  I would stay with it- the bus looks good and you know it.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 09:43:34 AM »

Its a good looking bus.  I'd echo Tom & Philip's advice - get out and use it.  Round up some buddies and a few dozen beers and go to the racetrack.  Or get you some wimmen and go to the beach.  You won't likely get your money back if you try to sell it so have some fun with it and maybe you won't want to sell it.

And FWIW I dunno what the bouncing message box is about either - it bugs me too.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 09:44:20 AM »

Sell it?  Yes, ( stuck with the darn thing ) You need to be in the right state of mind. Or no mind. To own.
Whats it worth?  Maybe less than you have in it. ( most likely ) The prices are falling, whats the inside like?
1 air may make it cool enough for you, have you tried it?    Good luck, Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 10:00:23 AM »

Quag, you're asking a bunch of people with a very strong bias toward buses. The reality of it is, this is a buyer's market! Not only can you buy real estate for what it's actually worth right now, you can't sell a bus for true value either. Catch 22? Tough call. Huh Good luck, Will

QuagmireMan

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 10:47:42 AM »

Quag, you're asking a bunch of people with a very strong bias toward buses. The reality of it is, this is a buyer's market! Not only can you buy real estate for what it's actually worth right now, you can't sell a bus for true value either. Catch 22? Tough call. Huh Good luck, Will

Good point. I have been kickin around the buying a house thing too, but the math tells me I really shouldn't until I can put a bigger down payment on a house... plus I am young and am more than likely going to see more change in the next 10 years anyways.
QuagmireMan

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 11:01:47 AM »

What do you think it would cost to:
- put on power steering (basically everything has been removed except the lines)
- Replace the glass

I think If I can get it finished for under 10k I would go ahead and do it.  I know I am not going to get my money back out of it, but sometime I think I should pick up another bus that I wouldn't have to put power steering and new windows on it might save me some $ and I could just take the holding tanks, H2O heater, fridge ect. off of my current bus.

It just seems like there are many really low cost buses floating around there with less big problems than mine.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 11:16:59 AM »

Your bus looks better than any of mine. . . .
What condition is the drivetrain in?
If you are patient, the parts can be found for cheap. Especially if you are able to make a road trip or two & can do the wrenching yourself. (Think someone scrapping a bus with what you need. . . ) The front windshields may be ~$500 each, but the side windows can be polycarbonate (lexan) & you can cur & install those yourself.

Do you like the bus? Do you like the possibilities that the bus can provide? If you do, the answer is obvious - it relates to the evil you know VS the evil you don't.

For me, having a bus that was liveable would have been GREAT to have had at my first house. I could have finished remodeling the house so much sooner if I hadn't had to keep the house liveable the whole time.

Maybe you could buy a fixer-upper & live in the bus on the site while you fix the house (you may have to install a temporary carport building for the bus) - then sell house to up grade to a more suitable location. . . . OR, sell the bus & trade up.  Grin

Ahhh, to be just starting out . . . . . so many possibilities . . . . I wish you luck in choosing an easier & less expensive path than I took . . .  Grin  Shocked  Roll Eyes

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
john9861

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 01:58:41 PM »

QUag,
        Think about the buyers market thing as far as buying a house. Let's say you wait 2-3 yrs to save up some more down payment. I don't know let's say $30,000. The price of houses new or used is bound to go back up and the interest rate will definitely be headed that way. And your payment will be higher than if you did it now with less down payment. All that you saved you will lose to those 2 factors alone. What if you could get into a house now at a lower price & lower interest rate. You could still save some down payment that you have the option to put into your equity then. Maybe knocking the length of your mortgage down considerably. I have this exact example for you. My son & his wife were thinking of waiting but I talked them into seeing what the builders prices would be & check to see if the bank would be friendly to them. Never thought I would advise my son financially to jump the gun but here's the outcome:  Builders prices were 25-30% less than 2 yrs ago. Material prices were down considerably. The interest rate deffinitely wasn't going to get any better. They saved $50,000 on the overall price to build the new house. Financed it for 15 yrs. because they had already planned for a certain monthly budget. And better yet the work was done in a very timely manner due to the work load being in a slump. Guaruntee the price will be back up in 2 yrs.
     Now you gotta understand this buyers market thing is not going to help you at all with moving the bus. Instead of doing the fixups why don't you try & sell it as is. The new owner may not have wanted the things you put money into. I'm sure power steering would be a plus but maybe someone else would want to do a different A/C rather than roof top. Didn't mean to rattle on but I wanted to put it out there for you to consider.

John Mellis
Bowman, SC
1982 Eagle Model 10 6V92TA Auto
It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years...
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 05:46:23 PM »

I think Kyle has the best idea if you are handy with tools.

Buy the worst house in the best neighborhood you can afford. Live in the bus & fix the house. Sell the bus & live in the house. Or, sell the bus & buy a better one. Or, better yet, sell the house and buy the worst house in the best neighborhood you can afford. Live in the bus & fix up the house. Do you see a pattern here? You don't need power steering if the bus is parked. You will make more money fixing houses & selling them than in a lot of other businesses you could start. Also, you are your own boss & work at your own pace. I certainly wish I had started out with the opportunity you have now.

TOM

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 01:43:26 AM »

Q - At your age -

New job = Lucky for you  Grin

Buying a house = Fuggetaboutit till your stable

New business = Wait till O' tells you how the Fed is gonna help you start it (I'm waiting to hear myself)

Power stearing = You can live with it till you come across a gifted one

Cracked glass = unless it's dangerous to operate try an epoxy repair

Roof Air = can be had for $100 or less used

Marriage = I know you didn't mention it - But don't complicate your life when you have all the above - There will be plenty of time to do that in the future

HTH - FWIW

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 05:33:05 AM »

Good advice, all of it.  The wife and I have an expression we are fond of, whenever we see a RV or a bus for that matter, with a for sale sign attached to it, we say, "Lookie there, drove all the fun out of it." When I bought my Eagle the guy didn't like what I offered him at all, and made it quite clear.  I just replied, "it is only worth what you can get for it and not much more."

He took the deal, he didn't like it, but folks weren't exactly beating down his door to buy a 20+ year old bus.

I vote to keep it and like they say "add to it a little at a time" you will be glad you did.

BCO

Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 06:21:50 AM »

Keep the bus and enjoy it! At your age you have a lot of life ahead of you, now is the time to get to know her. I waited too long to get into this bus world, and regretted I didn't do it sooner, much sooner!

I don't have power steering, don't miss it cause I've never had it. Collect all the parts you will need and do it when you can.

At least with a bus it's an easy move. You don't have to be chained down to a mortgage and wait for the market to pick up.

Good Luck,

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: