Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 09:48:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vehicle heating connections on a Series 60?  (Read 1823 times)
belfert

Ignore
« on: February 10, 2010, 11:56:47 AM »

Can anyone tell me where the vehicle heating connections are on a Series 60?  A diagram would be even better.

I've looked all through my Series 60 service manual with no luck.  I found a diagram in the Proheat X45 manual, but I can't believe what they show are the only options.

The Proheat manual showed connecting one side to the back of the block and then the other side to a spot just above the oil cooler.  The spot above the oil cooler is the place one would normally put a block heater.  Dina uses that connection for vehicle heat, but their system is so screwed up I want to start over.  I only have the defrost and driver's heat remaining.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 12:09:33 PM »

Brian, on both of my Series 60s, the connections were to the water pump (several ports) and then to the oil cooler housing (again several ports).  Both are on the same side of the block.  Not much on the intake side as I recall.

I plumbed both my trans cooler (small one for the AutoShift) and my Aqua Hot to these locations.  I also installed ball valves on each end so I can isolate if I need to.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 12:57:56 PM »

Brian,

Yup, just like Jim said. Our output is on the bottom of our water pump. However, we just commandeered the lines that went up to the heater core, that heated the bus, and used those. They are one inch lines, and it worked for us. We also use those with our Oasis to heat the engine, and we also use those to heat the cabin and hot water as we drive.

HTH

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 02:02:15 PM »

The Proheat manual shows the warm coolant should be going in at the thermostat housing and the cold coolant coming out of the engine at the oil cooler.  Note, I am not trying to hook up a Proheat.  I just found a diagram there.  I want to get heat from the engine to warm the interior of the vehicle.

The outlet above the oil cooler is where the block heater usually goes.  I assume not every Series 60 install uses this port for vehicle heat.

Is there another option besides the oil cooler port?  I would like to free that up for a block heater.  My main question is what port would the warm coolant come out of, and what port would the cold coolant go back in at?

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 02:15:52 PM »

Brian, come out of the water pump to the heater and go back into one on the block or the thermostat housing. 
If you don't have ports left tie into the filter line with a tee behind the filter not in front of filter all it has to do is make a loop it doesn't care how you get there

good luck
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 02:26:37 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 09:43:32 AM »

I'm resurrecting a really old thread since I'm just about at the point of installing new hoses for my driver's heat and defrosters.

I'm slightly confused because I see recommendations for the return at both the thermostat and at the oil cooler.  Everyone seems to agree that the supply should come from the water pump.  Do I need to have a bypass with a check valve in the system?  It appears that Dina put out a service bulletin to add a bypass with check valve as the passenger heating system had a lot of problems.

I have both a driver's heater core and two defrosters.  The defrosters get hot water all the time.  The driver's heat is controlled by a manual valve, but the the temperature doesn't change much from supposedly full on to supposedly full off.

rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 07:52:09 AM »

Brian, maybe a bit of confusion here (perhaps on my part). 

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I plumbed my AquaHot (which feeds the front heater) and my trans cooler to the oil cooler and the water pump.

Where the confusion seems to be is the flow direction.  My thinking is that I plumbed the lines to the intake of the water pump so the flow is from the oil cooler (hot) and back to the intake side of the water pump.  It sure seems to get the water pretty warm in the AquaHot. 

As I think about it, maybe the plumbing to the transmission should be from some other location rather than the oil cooler to pick up cooler water.  However, the engine water temperature measured at the head does not get over 200* very often, so I think that is OK for the transmission.

BTW, as I recall, the hose connections from the truck application were plumbed into these ports.

Clear as mud?

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: