Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 30, 2014, 07:21:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diesel Generator Engine Won't Start  (Read 5530 times)
mlh1936

Graphics By Turbo Images

Ignore
« on: February 10, 2010, 07:41:38 PM »

My diesel generator engine has been running great until now. I think I let the fuel quantity get too low while the generator was running. The generator engine quit. Now it won't even turn over.  It has a flashing indicator light in the start switch. The start battery is good.  Appreciate any thoughts on the matter. Thanks.

1987 MCI 102A-3, 8V92, HT-740 conversion in progress.
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 07:47:52 PM »

What kind of generator? How are you trying to start it? By the key downstairs, or by the remote panel?

If it doesn't even turn over, then how do you know you have good battery voltage? Do you have good connections between the battery and generator? If you let the fuel get too low, have you purged the air from it?

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
mlh1936

Graphics By Turbo Images

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 07:58:42 PM »

Thanks for answering. My generator has a Kubota diesel engine. I'm trying to start it from a remote panel. I'm assuming the battery is still good because it was strong on the last start before the problem ocurred and was charged at least 6 hours before it ran out of fuel. I confess I have never purged an engine before. Can anyone give me a crash course on that?

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 08:05:46 PM »

Do you have 2 switches on your panel

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 08:11:48 PM »

I would check the battery to see if it really is good. Methinks it might not but, if it doesn't even crank. I would go down to the generator and try starting it manually. See if that works.

Now, here is how I purge the air from the Kubota's that I have had/worked on.
There will be a bleeder at the top of the fuel filter. Prime it until you get a bunch of pure fuel, with no air bubbles in it. On my 2004 Bobcat it had a manual bulb that you squeezed to prime it. On our generator it has a automatic fuel pump on it. I crank the engine and then stop. The fuel pump then runs and I have the bleeder valve open, and fuel sprays out. Repeat a couple of times. Then close the bleeder at the top of the fuel filter, and open the upper breather valve. It is a round nob, about the size of a quarter. It in the middle upper part of the engine. You can see it on the outside. Open that, while you crank. Let her fire up, smooth out, and you are set.

I leave our valve cracked maybe an eighth a turn. That makes sure that there is no air in the system.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
mlh1936

Graphics By Turbo Images

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 08:17:48 PM »

Thanks, I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

mlh1936

Graphics By Turbo Images

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 08:19:17 PM »

I forgot to reply to luvurbus. I only have one switch on the panel.

niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 02:28:59 AM »

Have your battery 'Load tested' - HTH & FWIW

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 04:42:29 AM »

You still havent said what gen you have, if its an Onan quiet diesel than you have a box (sides) to contend with and it wont be fun.>>>Dan

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 04:56:18 AM »

You guys educate me on a 1 switch starter on a Kubota are the glow plugs engaged by relays or a circuit board.
Mine will not turn over without holding the glow plug switch at the same time as the starter. 

good luck

mikeH8H-649

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 05:09:28 AM »

on my kubota you turn the key to the left for 20 seconds or so for the glow plugs then to the right for start it is a 10kw powertech
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 05:17:56 AM »

I think Mal has the PowerTech with the  control board. The control board is energized by momentarily energizing the start/stop switch. The board then controls relays to activate the glow plugs and fuel pump. After a preset time time, the board activates the starter. Oil pressure then releases the starter. If the engine does not fire in a preset time, the starter stops, waits a preset time and tries again. After 2 or 3 unsuccessful tries (I forget which), it shuts down.  
    I do not know if PowerTech still makes the "manual" version like mine that uses a 2 position switch and relays. I hold the switch in the preheat position (which engerizes the glow plugs & fuel pump) then move the switch to the start position and hold until the engine starts.
   Mal,  
     If you have the PowerTech unit with the control board, check the small fuse(s) in the front of the panel near your LED indicator lights on the generator. I would also check battery voltage at the connection on the end of the generator housing while it is trying to start.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 05:19:43 AM »

Have your battery 'Load tested' - HTH & FWIW

Hoping to not appear all that not up to speed, what does "HTH" represent?

Thanks,

BCO

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 05:24:47 AM »

Thanks Jack that was what I was looking for, I know the glow plugs and the starter are tied together some way on all the Kubota's I have seen.
On my tractor you turn the key on and depending on the temp it starts in a few seconds I am not looking forward to chasing a problem if it doesn't start some day

good luck
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 05:38:42 AM by luvrbus » Logged

JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 06:05:38 AM »

BoxcarOkie,
    HTH= Hope This Helps

Clifford,
    I have the PowerTech wiring diagrams ("Manual" & "Control Board" style). If you ever need copies, let me know.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: