Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 23, 2014, 09:20:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diesel Generator Engine Won't Start  (Read 5784 times)
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2010, 06:49:38 AM »

The comment "won't even turn over" in the original post concerns me that you.

I recommend you rule out a seized motor.

Have you tried jumping the solenoid on the starter with a screwdriver to see if the motor is capable of turning over?I just think it might be a good idea to make the motor "can" turn over before trying to troubleshoot further.

Just a thought.

Keep us informed,

thanks,

rick

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2010, 07:06:37 AM »

Have you tried jumping the solenoid on the starter with a screwdriver to see if the motor is capable of turning over?I just think it might be a good idea to make the motor "can" turn over before trying to troubleshoot further.
Keep us informed,
rick

Rick,
  Unfortuanately, if he has the PowetTech in the factory sound box, it is virtually impossibe to get at the starter or the front of the crankshaft.  (the entire sound box has to be disassebled and removed)  I would have to look at my wiring diagrams, but he might be able to jump a relay to try to activate the starter.  
   Although our PowerTech is not in a factory sound box, our installation does not allow easy access to the starter. During installation, I added a momentary switch that is connected directly to the starter solenoid for test purposes. This helped me find a loose wire connection on the start/stop switch on the generator before I tried to pull the starter to test it.  This is something else he should check, I have found loose connections on several generators, possibly due to vibration when they are running.  Jack
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 07:12:47 AM by JackConrad » Logged

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2010, 07:13:54 AM »

I hope for his sake the bearing has sized on the generator head

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
JackConrad
Global Moderator

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2010, 07:18:17 AM »

I hope for his sake the bearing has sized on the generator head
good luck

I think PowerTech recommends changing the generator end bearing at about 3-4000 hours as preventive maintenance.  Jack

RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2010, 07:22:28 AM »

Jack,

Good point. I forget that some of you guys actually have "quiet" gensets! Not so the barron's.

Is there room to get a socket on the crank fan pulley? Maybe you could just slowly nudge the crank bolt to see if it turns. But be careful because it could start... and that would be a very big problem! I imagine it has a fuel shutoff when the key is off but I would still be careful. Don't ask me how I know that!

Clifford, Amen to that... regarding the generator head

It's far more likely that it's electrical correct? I don't want to scare the crap out of the guy. He's new here.

Rick

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2010, 07:30:43 AM »

He has not said the make of gen, or did I miss it?

Clifford, My Onan start stop rocker switch. In the stop position the glow plugs are on.  Tom y

Tom Yaegle
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2010, 07:41:23 AM »

Clifford,
    I have the PowerTech wiring diagrams ("Manual" & "Control Board" style). If you ever need copies, let me know.  Jack

I have a pdf file of the same if anyone needs it

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2010, 07:49:43 AM »

Rule out the simple stuff first.

Load test the battery, verify DC power at the starter, jump the solenoid if the start switch does not activate the solenoid.

If then it cranks but does not start, you need the diagram to figure out what is not allowing this to happen.

What make and model of Generator do you have?

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2010, 03:48:46 AM »

BoxcarOkie,
    HTH= Hope This Helps

Clifford,
    I have the PowerTech wiring diagrams ("Manual" & "Control Board" style). If you ever need copies, let me know.  Jack

Thanks a bunch, it helped me.

BCO

loosenut
Confidently Ignorant

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2010, 10:49:57 AM »

I don't have a diesel genset but when mine ran fine one time and didn't turn over the next, it was the starter battery. 

If it is easy to get at jump it and you will know.  On mine it was easier to take to the auto parts store than jump.  The batter read correctly with my volt meter but it died under load. 

Mike

Sold 85 Neoplan 33ft 6V92ta, sadly busless
mlh1936

Graphics By Turbo Images

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2010, 05:24:00 AM »

My generator is a Southeast Power Tec generator with a Kubota diesel engine. I tried to get some literature on the combination, but no luck. I haven't been out to the shop yet because of the cold and snow here in GA. Yes I know it's been a lot worse elsewhere.  I'll try to get going on it today.

1987 MCI 102A-3, 8V92, HT-740 conversion in progress.
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2010, 05:42:56 AM »

I'm in fla now and its cold and rainy,I didn't sign up for this....Go simple first...batt ;even a bad cell can trash starting voltage (weak cell)check ground..if its on slide with seperate ground thru slide sometimes it may not make a good connection..good luck and hope it is a simple solution..

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
JackConrad
Global Moderator

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2010, 05:50:34 AM »

My generator is a Southeast Power Tec generator with a Kubota diesel engine. I tried to get some literature on the combination, but no luck. I haven't been out to the shop yet because of the cold and snow here in GA. Yes I know it's been a lot worse elsewhere.  I'll try to get going on it today.

Mal,
    We are presently camped at River Ranch for a SE Busnuts rally, but when I get home tomorrow, I will try to remember to  scan a couple pages from my PowerTech manual for you.  Is your generator in a factory made sound box?  Are there a series of LED  indicator lights on the generator (on the panel with the switch and fuse)?  First thing to do is check the fuse(s) on the panel with the LEDs and switch.  There should be 1 or 2 small round black fuse holders that you twist about 1/4 turn counter clockwise to remove the cap (with the fuse).  I have replaced a couple of these fuse holders that had failed.  Jack

robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2010, 05:58:28 AM »

Jack's is easiest then progress on still sounds elect

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
mlh1936

Graphics By Turbo Images

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2010, 03:52:41 PM »

My thanks to all who helped. The generator now will start. The "fix" was to reset the 3 switches on the generator control box on the generator itself. I don't know which switch enabled the start, but on the 3rd attempt to start it continued to run. It will now start normally from the remote panel as well.

1987 MCI 102A-3, 8V92, HT-740 conversion in progress.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: