Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 26, 2014, 04:18:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brake Pin Removal  (Read 933 times)
DavidInWilmNC

1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005

Ignore
« on: August 03, 2006, 10:31:18 AM »

Hi guys,

I'm finishing up on the driver's side rear project... I've replaced the leveling valve, air bag, and inversion valve.  That's all finished.  Now, I'm working on replacing the suspension bumper and the bellows that cover the shaft that extends from the brake can.  This is the one on the rear drive axle.  I've loosened the two bolts that hold the brake can to the mount and removed the cotter pin from the pin that attaches the shaft to the slack adjuster.  This pin seems to be stuck.  I don't want to pry or hammer on it, as I'm sure that won't be good for the brakes!  What's the secret to removing this pin?  I've tried twisting it with some Vise Grips, Channel Locks, etc.  Nothing seems to work.  Does anybody have any suggestions?  As soon as I can get this bellows replaced, I can get the tires back on and move on to more fun things!  Thanks

David
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 10:34:49 AM »

How about trying some heat?  I had to do that with a shock absorber bolt 2 years ago.  Worked great even after penetrating oil didn't help.
rayshound

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 11:31:53 AM »

David, I had to use a little cutting wheel, cutting the clevis pin, unscrewing then replacing the clevis. Ray
Beatenbo

1993 MCI 102 C3 Cat Power

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 06:03:32 PM »

Dave, I replaced front brakes on my last MCI. One side front pin slid out, one side I put something solid on the end and drove out with hammer. It took a while. When it moved a little I sprayed WD40 and dove back and forth. Those pins are about 35 bucks. The one that was loose shook when you put on brakes. If wore at all replace. The rear came out fairly easy as I remember. Those thing are hard steel Good luck
DavidInWilmNC

1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 07:21:31 PM »

Dave, I replaced front brakes on my last MCI. One side front pin slid out, one side I put something solid on the end and drove out with hammer. It took a while. When it moved a little I sprayed WD40 and dove back and forth.

That's exactly how I got it out.  I put a block of wood between the differential and the piece with the pin and tapped it with a hammer.  It loosened and I got it out easily.  I replaced the boot and got everything back together.  I just need to mount the bumper and paint a few areas I scraped and I'll be finished.  The worst part of this whole project (besides the heat) was getting the hoses back on the inversion valve... anyway, it's over.  Thanks for the suggestions, as always.

David
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: