Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 02:47:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for flexible connector 6" diameter for air intake  (Read 3985 times)
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« on: February 13, 2010, 11:15:25 AM »

I'm looking for a flexible 6" diameter connector to use between my air cleaner and the turbo intake.  I used to have them rigidly connected, but have decided the air cleaner is not moving enough to absorb the engine movement.  I was thinking of using an inner tube to make this connection.  Does anyone know if this will work?  Does anyone have a source for a flexible connector?  This is on the intake side, so there  is no pressure, only vacuum to contend with.

Thanks for any ideas you might have.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 11:27:04 AM »

Brian, go to a major plumbing supply and buy a Fernco coupler comes with ss clamps for about 20 bucks

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 11:40:16 AM »

Brian, go to a major plumbing supply and buy a Fernco coupler comes with ss clamps for about 20 bucks

good luck

+1, many sizes and lengths available if you need to special order.  These are the rubber couples used to join cast iron to ABS etc..there are even sizes to join old clay drain pipe to plastic drain hubs and all combos you can think of.

Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 01:00:59 PM »

Good idea guys.  I'll check those out, hopefully on Monday.
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 01:13:41 PM »

Looking at the pictures on line it appears the fernco couplers are pretty thick.  Due to the air cleaner in the way I might not have enough room for the thickness of the fernco.  Are there any other thinner options?
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 04:22:03 PM »

Brian, Is your turbo intake 6 inch? Mine is about 4" and the air cleaner is 6". I got a rubber elbow from a mack truck, not sure where. I think I had something else in the shed but it may have gotten thrown. I will look and see, if I find something you can have it.  Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 07:03:43 AM »

Tom, the turbo intake is 4".  However, it makes an immediate 90 degree angle.  The opening on the other end is 5 1/2".  This connects to the 90 degree adapter on the air cleaner.  The air cleaner housing connection is 8".

Any ideas on how long an inner tube would last in the engine compartment?
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 08:27:03 AM »

You could have fun making a kind of HD clothes dryer flex line.  I think the way I would do it would be to take one piece of tube, and use some heavy wire twisted around a form to make the "spring".   I would insert the spring in the tube, coat the inside of tube with contact cement, then use another bit of tube for the inner sleeve.  Probably you could tie off the ends and use air pressure to seat the "inner" tube against the outer tube and seat assembly.
 Finally silicone sheeting is a great long lasting product, if you could somehow integrate that into the assembly.....

muddog16
Example is more powerful than reproach. ~Aesop

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 09:24:39 AM »

Brian, I'm not sure how much you want to spend but here is a site: www.donaldson-filters.com 
this site has all kinds of adaptors for intakes, exhausts, clamps !

Pat

1982 Prevost LeMirage
8V92TA/HT754

http://prevostlemirage.blogspot.com/
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 09:54:06 AM »

I looked up prices on the Donaldson rubber products and they are only about $15 to $20.  Not cheap, but not outrageous either.

It seems like this is probably a better way to go than the Fernco stuff if Donaldson has the right part.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Just Dallas
Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 10:10:05 AM »

Removed
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 11:47:35 AM by Now Just Dallas » Logged

I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 10:47:39 AM »

I poked around on Donaldson's site and couldn't find a connector that is big enough. 

A point of clarification, the gap between the two elbows is only 1/2" at most.
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2010, 11:12:04 AM »

Here is a picture showing the joint.  The air cleaner elbows are right above and to the left of the green oil fill tube.

http://home.earthlink.net/%7Ediehls0792_1/Bus_2007/2007_0803_Final1.jpeg

Hopefully you can see a tiny bit of shiny aluminum.  This  is the connection I am trying to make flexible now.
Tom Y

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2010, 01:03:28 PM »

Brian, Sorry I must have thrown out what I had. 4 1/2" Is as big as I have. I would pass on the inter tube. Someone must sell the 6 inch silicone hose in a thin wall like the 4 inch hose for charge air.  Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
Tom Y

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2010, 01:07:43 PM »

Brian, I may have a short piece of hose like a leaf vacum. It was on an air filter on the other side if I rember, to the out side. It had wire in it. I'll go look now.  Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: