Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 18, 2014, 11:55:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for flexible connector 6" diameter for air intake  (Read 3660 times)
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2010, 01:36:24 PM »

Brian, I may have a short piece of hose like a leaf vacum. It was on an air filter on the other side if I rember, to the out side. It had wire in it. I'll go look now.  Tom Y

Thanks Tom.  Let me know what you find.
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2010, 01:51:22 PM »

Heres a pic of leaf vacum hose 6" and the other is a heat shrink material. The heat shrink material I melted together, but not sure how either would up in the heat. The leaf hose is old and stiff, but it may work for you. You may want to make the gap bigger than 1/2" to allow more flexing. If you wish I will send a peice.  Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2010, 01:52:19 PM »

Sorry, heres the leaf hose.  Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
Just Dallas
Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2010, 02:11:25 PM »

Removed
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 11:45:09 AM by Now Just Dallas » Logged

I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2010, 03:22:13 PM »

Dallas, when you step out of the box you REALLY step out!  Thanks for your creative thinking and being willing to share it with us.
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2010, 03:28:29 PM »

Tom, with the heat shrink all I can imagine is the tubing shrinking up while climbing a mountain pass in the middle of summer!  It is a funny sight in my mind!   Grin

I'm going to give the inner tube a try and see how well it holds up.

Thanks everyone for the ideas.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2010, 09:13:36 PM »

Brian,
Just be careful when using an inner tube for your intake.
Dina's had the air intake in kinda like a box area in the side at the top of the rear cap and I've seen several Dina's that birds got in there and built nest.
Then the air was so restricted the engine would suck air so hard it would rip the thick hard rubber elbows like a knife had sliced them open. On one we saw where is sucked the 6" aluminum tube going across the top of the engine flat like someone had stomped it flat, and reinstalled it!
So if you get to much up wind restriction it could actually suck the inner tube through the turbo! (Ooooo not good!  Shocked )
I ain't say'n it wouldn't work, but I'd be scared to do it on one of mine!
FWIW Grin  BK  Grin  (the politically incorrect busnut! Wink )

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2010, 09:30:22 PM »

Brian,

Speaking as one who has had to in-frame an engine twice due to dirt ingestion because of intake plumbing problems, I will advise you to be very, very careful with what you do downstream of the air cleaner.

With inner tube, I would be very concerned that the vacuum generated between the turbo (or blower) and air cleaner could collapse something that thin, or, worse, cause it to rip.  After that, it will not take long for enough dust to be sucked in to cause major trouble.

You might call the guys over at PEDCO, who did my in-frames.  I remember seeing every conceivable rubber intake elbow and coupling under the sun just lying around the shop; they get more engines there than you can shake a stick at, and most of them come in with couplers or elbows hanging off them.  What you may have to do is to replace one of your rigid elbows at either end with a rubber one, rather than the short coupler between the straight sections.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2010, 05:10:52 PM »

The two 90 degree elbows are rubber.  However, I don't think there is enough flex in these two elbows since 1) they are very short, and 2) they don't have any "humps" in them for easy compression or extension.  They do give, just not very much.  I'd like to have more flexibility in this connection.  I will give Pedco a call and see what they might be able to scrounge up.

Thanks for the ideas guys.
dbenck

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2010, 12:19:06 PM »

Brian..I have some 6" heavy duty flex we use for vaccum intakes on CNC machines for one of our customers.
I do not think the heat will effect it. You are welcome to a piece if you need it. What we have is leftover's
from the job...been here for two years !!! Let me know.

David P. Benck
Somerset,WI
dbenck

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2010, 12:23:27 PM »

Here
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2010, 01:49:18 PM »

Once again David benck to the rescue!!! Man you deserve a medal or something.

Brian you gotta meet David he's your kinda guy. Well, you'll like him once you get over the "shop envy". You could land a plane in his shops!

I'm sure we'll all find ourselves around a campfire this summer.

Thanks for helping Brian out Dave. I sure hope it works.

Rick

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2010, 05:09:37 PM »

Brian..I have some 6" heavy duty flex we use for vaccum intakes on CNC machines for one of our customers.
I do not think the heat will effect it. You are welcome to a piece if you need it. What we have is leftover's
from the job...been here for two years !!! Let me know.

David P. Benck
Somerset,WI

Wow, Thank you David!

I would love to try some of this hose.  Would you be able to send me 2 4" pieces?  I can get you shipping money.  I'll PM you with my address for a shipping estimate.
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2010, 05:11:14 PM »

Rick,
Thanks for the positive feedback on David.  It is always incredible to me how small our bus world is!

I hope this will work.  If it does not I still need to call Pedco and Bruce out in California has also offered to see what he might have in his shop that will work.  So, I'll get something safe figured out for this problem!
dbenck

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2010, 07:36:23 PM »

Hey, Brian I can send you what you need,..just let me know where...Rick you are the MAN!!!!
dbenck@somtel.net

I think this will work great for what you need.

David P.Benck
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: