Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 05:00:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eagle 10 vs 20  (Read 2878 times)
DaveG

Ignore
« on: February 14, 2010, 05:07:32 PM »

Okay, so I peek at the all mighty and elevated Eagle board occasionally and know this is the perfect question to ask there, but alas I don't own a bus...let alone an Eagle which would get me into their private nesting area!

So I am looking for some differences between 10s and 20s. Any reason to buy one over the other?

Thanks, I am getting closer to that exclusive club!
Eagle Andy
Cowboy Coach

1968 Silver Eagle # 7481

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 05:39:54 PM »

Hey Dave don't be basful we would welcome your ? on the Eagle Board . Iam sure you will fine alot of different answers at either place .

1968 Model 05 Eagle # 7481 Miles City MT
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 05:54:39 PM »

Give us break Dave only 2 sections on our board that is not open to the public and that is club chatter for club members only (not much in there) and the Eagles Nest and that is for the officers and even members don't know it is there it can not be seen by anybody but officers.
If you don't get help with your question by someone here I'll help you with the question on both models of the 20 and the 10.
 We do welcome all on the board heck we even have John 316 there that should tell you something LOL sorry John

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
SmoothJazz

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 05:57:36 PM »

Dave,

The original differences between a Model 10 and a Model 20 were that the Model 20 had the same side windows and windshields as a Model 15 but still was only 96 inches wide. They also incorporated the hydraulic fan systems into the Model 20. Otherwise, they were basically the same as a Model 10.

The New Jersey Transit Model 20's had several differences, such as corten steel frame, Thermo King HVAC, air starters, stainless steel siding, pantograph bay doors, raised driver area, all white colored wiring, and different front and rear crowns.

Now come visit us on the Eagle's Board.

Dan
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 05:59:12 PM by SmoothJazz » Logged
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 06:06:41 PM »

Dave, I love the model 20 the only problem with the NJT 20 is the engine compartment without a major remodel you are stuck with the 6v92 it is very small compartment and that is not a problem on a model 10 also the NJT has hub pilot wheels a good feature  

good luck
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 06:20:22 PM by luvrbus » Logged

John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 06:18:16 PM »

We do welcome all on the board heck we even have John 316 there that should tell you something LOL sorry John

good luck

No joke. If they let me in over there, they would let just about everybody in (I imagine...well except for rubber noses). It is nice to be at least a little up to date with the "in" group. lol

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 07:53:41 PM »

Dave, as has been mentioned, the public is welcome to come visit us at:  http://www.eaglesinternational.net

In order to post you must register.  However, anyone can register. 

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
DaveG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 07:59:31 PM »

Okay, thanks Clifford and Jim. It does say on the front page of the Eagle board that you must have an Eagle to join though. Also, I didn't see a "search" feature which I assumed was because I wasn' a member.
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 09:55:33 PM »

Okay, thanks Clifford and Jim. It does say on the front page of the Eagle board that you must have an Eagle to join though. Also, I didn't see a "search" feature which I assumed was because I wasn' a member.

It says you must own an Eagle to join the club, not so for the forum. Come on over, we would love to have you.

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
DaveG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 07:08:13 AM »

Well, there goes the neighborhood!
DaveG

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 07:09:19 AM »

It says you must own an Eagle to join the club, not so for the forum. Come on over, we would love to have you.

Paul

Okay, I assumed that the club was the forum
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 07:14:34 AM »

Dave,It is miss leading the way it is worded on the site Dale needs to change that I have questions about the wording

good luck

white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 07:43:40 AM »

Dave, thanks for asking about the differences.  someone asked me before what the difference was between a 15 and a 20 and i didn't know.  Now i know.

and you're even luckier.  they never told me that you could be on the board without an eagle, so i went out and bought one just so i could be on the board ;-).

actually, we had ours before they had a board, and Eagle owners are a friendly and helpful group as evidenced by the ones i met at the Bussin' rally in Arcadia.

Register on both boards, ask questions, then buy an Eagle and join the Eagles chapter.  There are a lot of good ones for sale.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
DaveG

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 07:49:13 AM »

Okay, side windows and windshields...that is pretty simple. What are the differences? Side windows-shape/size? Windshields-height?
Songman

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 06:30:51 PM »

Dave,It is miss leading the way it is worded on the site Dale needs to change that I have questions about the wording

good luck

Yep... apparently a little bit of a re-write is in order for the front page of the Eagle website. We've had a few questions about that recently. I'll get to work on it.

And I have to say that I loved my Model 20. It was an NJT but I actually still kinda liked the things that were special to the NJT. The worst thing about them that people hate is the caps and you change those anyway when you raise it.

Clifford, we must have been doing something wrong. We measured the 6V92 with 748 and retarder that was in the bus against an 8V92 with a B500 and we came out with almost the exact same size. Dan and I talked about it on the phone one day and he said it wouldn't fit either but we measure the 8V92 with B500 when it was sitting out on the floor and then measured my engine and it was within just a few inches of being the same thing.

1992 Prevost XL-45
Nashville, TN
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 07:06:58 PM »

Don't forget the ugly a** bumpers 

good luck

DaveG

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 07:29:49 PM »

So I understand the differences about the NJTs, I assume they were all 20s? How about the rest of the 20s and 10s...how does one recognize them apart?
Songman

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2010, 07:33:46 PM »

How could I forget those? haha... Yeah, those need to be replaced too to get the true Eagle look.. But those weren't only NJTs. Those came on lots of Eagle transit buses.

Dave, 20s had the tall windshields like the 15s, and no vertical space on the cap above the windshield.  If you see a 96" bus where the windshield goes all the way up to the slop of the cap, it is most likely a 20.

Notice the top of the windshield... First picture is a 1988 Model 20. Windshield goes all the way up to the slope.

Notice the top of the windshield again. Vertical space above windshield before slope. This is a Model 10. Model 10s may have windows, window indentations , or none, depending on how they have been modified. Most 20s were just solid on the slope.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 07:39:07 PM by Songman » Logged

1992 Prevost XL-45
Nashville, TN
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2010, 07:54:30 PM »

Dave notice the side windows on the 20 they were a bonded window and all open from the bottom very nice windows for a conversion.
No matter what Dale says the NJT won the ugliest Eagle ever made hand downs no contest there they made the transit bumpers even look worse  lol

good luck

DaveG

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2010, 08:26:37 PM »

Thank you, with the pictures and explanation it becomes very clear. Sent in my Eagle forum registration tonight, so let's see if it hatches...after all, I don't even have a bus, let alone an Eagle!

Thanks again, really.
Songman

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2010, 09:34:57 PM »

Hey now! I'm not denying it, Clifford. The NJT Eagle in stock form is UGLY! But so is the NJT MC9.... You can't do much with that big destination sign to make it look good.

I just figure I can add caps and change bumpers easier than I can raise the driver and find pantograph doors and such.

I just approved you over on EI, Dave. Come on over and look around.

1992 Prevost XL-45
Nashville, TN
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2010, 10:09:03 PM »

No problem - Eagle people are easily fooled ...... on the way to crash the party in Branson ..... stopped and got a magnetic Eagle to stick on the front of the coach ...... my bad ...... won't stick to carbon fiber ..... a few pieces of duct tape later ..... they never noticed ..... If they did ..... they never said ..... on second thought, maybe they're just polite enough not to mention it  Grin

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2010, 01:31:01 AM »

So what model is 102 inches wide as opposed to the 96 that has been mentioned as 10, 15, 20 and NJT20?  Must be a wide one in here somewhere.  Great discussion on the models though....thanks

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
SmoothJazz

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2010, 03:55:54 AM »

The Model 15 Eagle is 102 inch wide.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2010, 05:35:19 AM »

JohnEd, the model 07 was the only Eagle built that was 102 w from bumper to bumper they were built in 1969 and 70 around 45 units were built
The model 15 has a taper on the front it becomes a 102 w past the drivers area.

good luck
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 06:04:20 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Songman

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2010, 05:36:34 AM »

As Dan said, the Model 15 is what most people think of when they think of a 102" Eagle. But the 'true' 102" Eagle was the Model 07 that was only built back in 69/70. It was 102' from front to rear. The Model 15 is 96" in the front and tapers back to 102" right behind the driver. So it uses the same windshields as the Model 20.

**Dang! Clifford beat me to it!

1992 Prevost XL-45
Nashville, TN
cody

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2010, 06:27:06 AM »

Guys, all this talk of iggles has got me looking out at the driveway again, there sits my old iggle, all forlorn and lonesome, I even went out yesterday and talked to it a little, from the condensation on the window I think it was happy to see me.  My daughter wants me to build her one, and it would probably be not that hard after wading thru all the tanks, and stuff I've got piled up around, inside and behind the garage, and it would be good company for my iggle but then I come back to reality and look at the check book lol, not a pretty sight, maybe I'll just take a picture of one and give it to her lol.  Being retired with 2 kids in medical school is enough of a lesson in reality for me right now lol.
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2010, 08:17:40 AM »

Personally, I don't see it an issue at all to taper from 96 to 102 behind the driver. That is the way that the MCI's, that I know of, are built. They are all tapered.

FWIW

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Songman

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2010, 08:25:59 AM »

I don't see it as an issue either, John. It just makes good sense so that the company only had to produce one size windshield, one size bumper, etc. And it makes it easier on us now trying to find parts for older buses that aren't made any more. The Model 07 guys have a tough time trying to find a windshield to fit their bus.

1992 Prevost XL-45
Nashville, TN
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2010, 08:36:53 AM »

Not a problem for the 07 Dale most of the 07's have had 10 front clip added Jim Smiths 07 is about the only one left that hasn't been modified with the 96 inch front clip and he has redone his to accept the 05- 10 windshields 

good luck

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2010, 08:48:28 AM »

Unless you will be installing slide outs, I would opt for any bus that is 102" wide.  Mine is 102" wide and that extra 6" is really noticeable.  My truck conversion is 102" wide also, with no slide outs.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: