Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 27, 2014, 09:46:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yellowstone last two weeks in June  (Read 1467 times)
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« on: February 14, 2010, 05:12:44 PM »

We're planning a family trip. Any must see's while we are there?
Any other bus nuts gonna be out there at the same time?
Thanks
Rick

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 05:30:24 PM »

The lodge at Old Faithful.  Take TOURS and attend lectures.  Read up on it before you go and try to establish some sched for where you will be when and list all that you will see. Also list all that you will miss so you can pick up where you left off. You will destroy that sched but the exercise is valuable.  My kids spent every night out walking the dirt roads and creek beds and they saw enuf animals to last them a lifetime.  So many memories...you are definitely doing the right thing in my  opinion.

With envy,
John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Eagle Andy
Cowboy Coach

1968 Silver Eagle # 7481

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 05:35:13 PM »

Hey Rick , We went last Aug kind of quick trip . We parked the Bus in a campground on the east side of Cody wy and drove in. For us it was a little easier than driving the bus in all the park traffic. Went to old Faithful and the grand canyon of yellowstone, did a ittle fishin and story telling around the camp fire. If you get to cody the Buffalo Bill Museum is a get place to see. Don't know which way you will be coming in from, The east entrance is alot nicer now that all the Highway work is done.

1968 Model 05 Eagle # 7481 Miles City MT
bubbaqgal

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 05:53:50 PM »

Just remember that the campground at Fishing Bridge has no electric during 2010 so if that was in your plans you will need to run a generator during the allowed hours for power. This problem may cause the other campgrounds in the area to fill up faster. 

Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 06:02:05 PM »

Rick,

Personally, I would recommend that you do more hikes, then the geyser walks. The geyser walks were a bit of a drag, because you look at a hole in the ground, read a sign and say, "Ahhh...IF that ever went off, it would go 50 feet in the air." And then you walk on to the next one and read that sign that says, "This one occasionally goes off, and when it does it shoots 30 feet into the air." "Cool," you say, and walk on. Repeat that time and time again, and the little kids will get bored. BTDT

Now, the boiling mudpots, and such that are active, are awesome. But the dead geyser walks are very anti-climatic. But you NEED to do Old Faithful at least once. That was really, really neat (just like the other geysers would be IF you could be there when they blew). Otherwise, find yourself some neat trails, and start hiking. That is what we liked the best.

Oh, yes. They used to have a cup that you could buy, and refill for free (soft drinks) at any of their little shops. Very nice!

YMMV

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
RickB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 06:16:33 PM »

We went in 2000 before the kids and the bus virus caught up with us. The earlier post about the kids having a once in a lifetime trip is our goal.
Wifey is booking our campsites and I'll pass along any advice I get here. I'm far more concerned with which engine we'll be climbing those mountains with. They should be starting the 8v92 tomorrow or the next day.
Only time will tell..keep the info coming it is really helpful to us.
Rick

Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 07:30:45 PM »

We spent a couple weeks in Grand Teton and Yellowstone in '08.

Rather than repeat it all here, just go to June '08 in our blog:
http://ourodyssey.blogspot.com/2008_06_01_archive.html

Scroll down to June 8th, then read upwards from there to June 21st.  This details all the campgrounds we used, including the incredible free camping spot between the two parks.  If you read before and after those dates, we also wrote up some of the sites just outside the parks.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
rusty

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 07:34:02 PM »

Rick, Visit the slide area. It is hard to comprehend that much earth moving.

Good Luck Wayne
John316

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 09:44:20 PM »

Rick, Visit the slide area. It is hard to comprehend that much earth moving.

Good Luck Wayne

What is it, Wayne? Was it a landslide? I don't remember hearing about that, when we were there...

God bless,

John

gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 04:30:22 AM »

Now, the boiling mudpots, and such that are active, are awesome. But the dead geyser walks are very anti-climatic. But you NEED to do Old Faithful at least once. That was really, really neat (just like the other geysers would be IF you could be there when they blew). Otherwise, find yourself some neat trails, and start hiking. That is what we liked the best.

Now that they've completed computerized control of Old Faceful, it's much more reliable and always on schedule. I hear they are planning on doing the same with all those "dead" geezers so more people can see them and take some of the load off Old Faceful.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Just Dallas
Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 04:45:48 AM »

Removed
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 11:43:29 AM by Now Just Dallas » Logged

I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.
rusty

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 09:03:03 AM »

Rick, Dallas is correct it is Hebgen Lake in Montanna. It is just outside the park on 287. The quake happened in 1959. An unbelievable site,the side of a mountain came down and created a new lake.

Wayne
RickB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 09:16:14 AM »

Wayne and Dallas,

Sounds like a good place to hang with the kids but we might want to leave the dog in the bus! She'll come back with a human femur or collarbone! Yuck.

The earlier post about thefinished highway construction and the the fishing bridge genset power only were very valuable in helping us make plans.

I did buy a new 2000 watt quiet so we can run the basics without disturbing neighbors. Northern Hydraulics outlet for $150 brand new. Just needed a starter handle.

Wayne, is that gleaming, awesome Series 60 with less than 20 miles on it up and running yet? I still have daydreams about your shop and your buses. But I don't think I'll ever forget that motor... It was too fine for words.

Rick

rusty

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 12:01:50 PM »

I reread this post and it was John that ask about the slide, sorry about that John. Rick, no it's not running yet. I thought the closer I got to retirement the more time I would have and that aint happening. I am rethinking the DDEC 5. I had our 05 in California  when fuel was 5.00 and that was painfull. I am sure we will see 5.00 again. The DDEC 5 will use a little more fuel than a DDEC 4 so now I am caught between a rock and a hard place. If you know someone that wants to trade a new DDEC 5 for a reman DDEC 4 let me know. Enough of hijacking your thread

Thank You Wayne
John316

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 12:05:42 PM »

If you know someone that wants to trade a new DDEC 5 for a reman DDEC 4 let me know. Enough of hijacking your thread

Thank You Wayne

Now that sounds like quite the offer...nice.

God bless,

John

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: