Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 12:38:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Check Engine Light location....  (Read 3162 times)
wayneswirld2

If it ain't broke, break it and fix it!

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2010, 11:03:06 AM »

Hey y'all,

I'll be heading back out to the bus tomorrow to do some more diagnostics.  I'm really thinking that this is going to be something fairly simple to sort out now that I have some idea what I'm looking for.  Hopefully I'll find the problem Monday and get the beast to my shop.  I'll post more as I go along.

IF it ain't broke, don't fix it.  But then again, if it's on your bus...do some damned maintenance to it.  It'll break eventually.
PCC

Serving Those Who Have Served

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2010, 08:48:47 PM »

I already pointed wayne to the test port - he has the old GM OBD-1 style 12 pin - but some of the wires have been pulled out

I sent him the Pin outs for his DDEC-II and can use the "dianostic request / pin E1 to ground" on the DDEC itself and use a test light to monitor the CEL DDDC pin B1

Pete

That is what I love about this site - so many helpful people. Sorry, I did not mean to repeat your advice.

Keith
PCC

For some, patience is a virtue.
Dealing with me, it is required.
Thank God - He is always patient.
wayneswirld2

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2010, 01:01:39 PM »

And the plot thickens.....After a couple of great conversations with both Pete and Richard, I ended up searching for the locations of the fuses that power both banks of injects.  Didn't take long to find a couple of fuses marked "EDU Bank A" and EDU Bank B".  Wouldn't you know it, BOTH fuses were blown.  It appears that these fuses might have been in their respective holders for ages, considering the amount of road crud on them.  And from the looks of them, they may have been blown for awhile too, although I can't be sure.

I've replaced both fuses, and the 5 amp ECM fuse as well...it was in the same location and had the same amount of road crud on them.  As luck would have it, there wasn't enough juice in the batteries to crank the beast over.  Now I'm just waiting for the battery charger to do it's magic stuff so I can crank her over and listten to that 6V92T purr, or cough and sputter....

Wayne

IF it ain't broke, don't fix it.  But then again, if it's on your bus...do some damned maintenance to it.  It'll break eventually.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2010, 04:27:21 PM »

This one is going to be interesting on why both bank A and B blew at the same time and not the ECM  

good luck
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 05:25:24 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
wayneswirld2

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2010, 04:42:34 PM »

I'm wondering the very same thing.  Having the batteries charged overnight so won't know anything till maybe tomorrow.  We've got a winter weather advisory for tomorrow so I might not make it back to the bus to work on it til it warms up in a few days. 

Being in Austin Texas a winter weather advisory really means we MIGHT have a slight dusting of snow, which closes down the city!  We're not used to cold weather here, OR wintery precip....might be an interesting day for driving tomorrow!

Wayne

RTS/Daytona

Pete RTS/Daytona ->'89 TMC 35' 102" 6V92TA 4:10

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2010, 05:19:21 PM »

HMMMM - could be be that the left over veggie oil was so thick that it made the injectors draw more current ??

but both fuses at the same time ??  - hmmmmmm

or was it all 3 fuses  (no CEL blink could mean the DDEC ECU fuse was also blown ??)

does the CEL NOW blink twice on turnon diagnostics ??

If you ain't part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.
wayneswirld2

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2010, 06:08:32 PM »

I though it was strange that both fuses were blown, but they really looked like they'd been in place for ages with all that road grime and crud on them.  To be honest I didn't even think about the CEL when I found the EDU fuses blown, so I can't answer that part of the question.  I figured that I'd replace that little 5amp fuse for the ECU just for good measure.  I'll know more in the morning when I get to the bus with the recharged batteries....

Wayne

wayneswirld2

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2010, 08:57:27 AM »

Another UPDATE.....Pete, I now have the CEL and SEL illuminated when powering up the bus...YAY!  And also have tons of codes...12, 14, 16, 41, 43, 44, and 46.  It's just too damned cold here today to mess with it, but I'm makin' progress.....

Wayne
Austin, TX
and yes, it's snowing.

RTS/Daytona

Pete RTS/Daytona ->'89 TMC 35' 102" 6V92TA 4:10

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2010, 09:54:52 AM »

Lots of those codes will come on when trying to start a DDEC engine with low batteries

Make sure code 43 (low coolant) isn't real - check your overflow tank

unfortunately Flashing the codes on a DDEC-II will show HISTORIAL CODES  and  CURRENT/ACTIVE CODES

But

if you don't have the CEL or SEL light on AFTER you flash the code -  everything was HISTORICAL 

After DDEC-II they got smarter  CEL flashes historical and SEL flashes Active/Current  (or the other way around ??)

They only way to reset the historical codes is with a PRO-LINK diagnostic tool

Pete

If you ain't part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2010, 10:08:05 AM »

What part of Austin do live I will be in  Belton and Oakalla area in about 2 weeks and I have the Pro Scan and the DDDL software maybe I could be of some help. 

good luck

Just Dallas
Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2010, 10:19:24 AM »

Removed
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 11:12:56 AM by Now Just Dallas » Logged

I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2010, 12:00:22 PM »

We are planning to stop and see you and Cat at the rally just don't know how long we can stay yet.
We have a family reunion in Houston to get ready for the next weekend

good luck
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 12:06:22 PM by luvrbus » Logged

wayneswirld2

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2010, 01:38:42 PM »

I'm in north Austin, Wells Branch Rd. area.  Pretty much south Pflugerville....Should have the bus to my shop tomorrow, same area.

Wayne

rdbishop

'68 MCI-7 892T, 740 Richard & Missy - Texas

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2010, 03:50:50 PM »

Wayne,

Did you get the bus running? If so, you should be able to bring it to the rally(friday a-week) and stay till sat. afternoon. Just need a place to sleep, a little elec. heater, extension cord, coffee pot, and a little diesel. Looks like your about 70 miles from the rally. Get to work!!!

Richard
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: