Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 21, 2014, 03:01:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how to make a 6v92 survive the heat"in a 4104"  (Read 902 times)
uncle ned

Ignore
« on: August 07, 2006, 01:25:44 PM »

after the second set of heads in my 6v92. i have come to the conclusion that i have heat problems.

" bus nuts are hard headed."

the bus was equiped this way when i accquired it and the person that converted it has passed away. I know that it will live in the back of this bus but i don't know the secret. any help will be appreciated.

ned sanders
"huggy bear"
4104 and "new 6v92"

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
skihor

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 02:27:01 PM »

LOTS or radiator is needed. My MC5 A has a 6V92 and not enough radiator. It's a pain in the a__.
When I had my new rads built, (5 core, dimpled tubes, existing tanks) I was told I had approx. 7000 btu capacity. That's fine EXCEPT the 6V92 can produce approx 12,000 btu of heat. (I was told this by Denver Radiator). So get a competent radiator shop to figure out your existing rads btu capacity and go from there. I'm going to add two more rads to my system which will double my capacity and push me past what I need.
Happycampersrus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 04:19:11 PM »

Ditto Skihor remarks plus,

I repowered a Fishbowl with a 6v92 and had ACE radiator build a 5 row with new tanks. An Rts bus uses a 8 blade fan (NIMCO BUS). I had to get creative with my shroud to get a close 3/4 space between the fan and radiator. I also have a V730 and the factory type antifreeze cooler would let it get up to 220 degrees, so I chucked it and got an air cooled with an electric fan. Now it runs at 180.
Takes a LONG grade or hard pull for me to get over 200 with the 6v92.

Have you cleaned the radiator and block with a DD flush??

Have you checked the thermostats??

Have you checked the fan for proper operation???

Are the mud flaps in place??

Has the engine been hot rodded?? i.e. to big of injectors? or wrong turbo?

Next thing to worry about would be the air intake. If they get plugged up or if it wasn't setup to feed a 6v92 to begin with that can be a problem. Also if the exhaust has to much back pressure that will cause an overheat condition.

That's enough for now until you reply. I have more ?? if all that checks out.

Dale
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 05:31:29 PM »

One way is to add another radiator on a swing out on the right side with electric fans. Would also consider installing vents in the rear engine door to get the heat out.   Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: