Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 24, 2014, 07:43:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is a back-up camera required by law?  (Read 5272 times)
1Tim612

Ignore
« on: February 22, 2010, 04:56:40 PM »

Were looking at buying a bus and the backup camera doesn't work and my dad had heard that it was required by law. The man selling it said that a screw must have hit a wire during the conversion or something.  If it is required, would it be easy to fix or replace now that the conversion is done? If it's not required by law do I need one?
Thanks, Tim
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 05:04:32 PM »

Tim -

No, back-up cameras are not required by law.

However, vehicles built since 1966 are required by the FMVSS to have back-up lights that come on when the transmission is placed in reverse.

Do you need a back-up camera?

That depends on your driving skills, your depth perception while looking in 8" square mirrors, and whether or not mama wants to get out and guide.

Even with a camera, though, things can bite you!

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
PCC

Serving Those Who Have Served

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 05:38:39 PM »

In my opinion a camera is a real safety item, and could prevent incidents that could cost a lot more than the camera.

For some, patience is a virtue.
Dealing with me, it is required.
Thank God - He is always patient.
1Tim612

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 05:49:56 PM »

Thanks RJ and PCC!   Good info!
Are after market camera's easy to install?
-Tim
PCC

Serving Those Who Have Served

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 06:16:02 PM »

Therre are wireless systems, or wired. Both are simple to install - Know of a vendor on ebay - don't buy the ones I am bidding on !!

For some, patience is a virtue.
Dealing with me, it is required.
Thank God - He is always patient.
cody

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 04:01:53 AM »

I have the Voyager system and one thing that is very nice is that it can handle 4 cameras, I was told here on the board the they are the back up cam, right side cam, left side cam and shower cam but I was told differently at home lol.  The right side cam is particularily nice from the standpoint of seeing within the blind spot on that side for any car that may be beside you or any approaching from on ramps, my seating position being below the side windows makes it difficult to turn my head and see anything that may be sitting there and I just don't trust my mirrors to show everything because of the blind area. The Voyager system I have also has pan and tilt so I can adjust the camera to assist me, I got mine at RV Surplus and the price was very reasonable, anyway we can make the blind areas more visible makes for a safer envrionment for all concerned.
1Tim612

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 04:54:20 AM »

Thanks Cody! So this call all be done after the conversion or must I look into a wireless option?? (don't worry PCC - I'm not quite ready to start bidding!!) - Tim
cody

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 05:00:17 AM »

The monitor has a harness that must be connected to power and feeds power to the cameras thru a coax, some are wireless but I've never heard much that was good about the dependability of those. I'm kinda old school and prefer the coax.  The coax can be routed thru cabinets, or overhead, all depends on the layout of your particular bus.
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 07:35:42 AM »

Tim, if you do get to the point where you need a rear view camera, you will be boggled by the options.  As someone said, I have not heard good things about wireless.

I have installed several systems all the way from a "baby cam" from a box store, to a couple of cobbled up system using Ebay parts.  I have more invested in my attempts to be cheap than I would have in a good system.  The cobbled ones had no vision at night and were just plain terrible.  I lost a couple of cameras, as they are very sensitive to voltage and needed a voltage regulator. 

I finally decided that I needed to go with a better system.  One option that was mandatory was night vision (IR).  When we were in Elkhart last May, I went to the big RV salvage store and they had a ton of used Weldex components.  I bought enough parts to make at least two systems.  The camera is the type where you can move up and down via the monitor and it has the 4 camera capability.  I think these were from Monaco coaches.  I was able to test all of the components there.  I was like a pig in mud.  Then I started reading that Monaco had terrible problems with the Weldex equipment.  After a ton of reading, it appears that the main problem was at the connectors.  Folks eliminated the connectors and soldered the wires and have had no problem.

I really like the Weldex system (mine works fine).  I can move the camera to view the tow bar and then move it to get a long rear view of the toad.  I have the side cameras (did in one of my cobbled systems as well).  I love them.

Most posts that I have read agree that trying to go cheap gives less than desirable results.  Many folks recommend this site:  http://www.rvcams.com/.  I have not dealt with them, but the seem to carry to top quality systems and their prices seem fair.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
bryanhes

Eagle Model 10 "For Now"

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 09:42:48 AM »

My neighbor buys up cameras from places like wal-mart then resells them on eBay. I was at his shop yesterday and looked at these cameras with the dome on them and thought about getting one for a backup camera. They look like they could be waterproofed easily. But you would have to set your zoom and position where you want it. I would have to cut a hole about 5" in diameter in my cap is the down side. He has some with and without the night vision (IRIS). He sells them cheap.

Here is a link. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250583346088&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Bryan

JLL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 10:01:43 AM »

I hardley ever use my camera for backing up.  Thats a job for my co pilot.  But it is a big help when passing cars or trucks.  You can tell when it's safe to pull back in.  Especially if you are towing.

Jll  leo
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 10:09:41 AM »

Bryan, be sure you read my previous post about "cheap" cameras.  The ones I played with have zero picture at late dusk until full morning light. Also had terrible picture washout with certain sun positions.   The pictures they have are not all that great.  Good enough of most or our needs, but still looks terrible.

I feel naked without my camera (terrible picture here Shocked).  I want to be able to see my toad.  One of my projects is to put tape on the steering wheel to make sure it is rotating when the bus turning.  Good camera systems will pick that up.

All of my cameras have IR so that I can see a fair distance at night.  I often leave the system on when parked at a Wal Mart so that I can see if anyone is messing around the side or back of the bus.

Jim
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 10:13:57 AM by rv_safetyman » Logged

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
bryanhes

Eagle Model 10 "For Now"

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 10:27:15 AM »

Jim,

I need to look at them a little more. He had the ones with IR and in his shop you could zoom from about 50' easily and was very clear. I don't know about night but he said they worked good and had excellent clarity. Maybe we can turn down the lights in his shop and see how they perform.

This was just a thought I had been kicking around. I can get the camera for about $20 but would then have to get a monitor.

I will check these out a little more in different conditions to see how well they work. My bus is in my shop next door to his. Maybe I can rig one up and play with it a little  Shocked

I like the idea of having them on the sides as well. Even for when you are parked in a less desirable area for some reason. Got to keep an eye on the rift raft, LOL  Wink

Bryan
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 10:34:49 AM »

Hi Bryan, be sure to read the camera specs.  The cheap ones can only take voltages of about 12V +-1V.  When charging, we are well above that.  I lost a few of the cheap cameras from what I think was over voltage.  A voltage regulator is not very expensive, but you would need to run it off 110V. 

In the case of IR, I suspect there is quite a bit of variation.  I had access to a Weldex before I bought the system and played with it at pitch dark and got about 15-20 foot distance as I recall.  I suspect there are cameras that have minimal IR capability.  You have the advantage of playing with the camera before you buy it.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
bryanhes

Eagle Model 10 "For Now"

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 11:53:43 AM »

I thought he said they are a 12v DC camera. Do you think that since I have the vanner and a 12v power supply it would be ok? Or do you think while charging it would overload it then?

Bryan
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: