Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 27, 2014, 06:06:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I hang or hinge a bed using the ceiling?  (Read 4434 times)
1Tim612

Ignore
« on: February 22, 2010, 09:32:25 PM »

Hi,
I was curious if the ceiling frames on an MCI-7 would support small 100# child if I make a bed hinged to the wall. I was thinking of a folding a piece of plywood with a piano hinge in the middle (all supported with oak framing and cross braces). Then mount this frame to the wall with some hinges and then use a couple chains or cables to clip off using the ceiling.  The conversion is done so I'm not sure how good the framing supports are in a bus. This all very new to me.
-Tim
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 11:38:27 PM »

Tim -

Have to confess:  Back in my charter days, sometimes during a layover while waiting for the group to return, I'd crawl up into the overhead parcel rack to take a nap.  Wasn't the most comfortable, but better than trying to nap sitting up in a seat pair or attempting to stretch out on only three seats in the back across from the toilet.

This was before the enclosed parcel racks used in later model coaches.

GMCs had the most room, followed by MCIs.  Eagle & Prevost were too small (closer to the roof).

Factory parcel racks are attached to the wall and the ceiling, just like what you're contemplating, so a suspended bunk is totally do-able.

Just make sure you find the roof ribs, and not the actual roof!

Oh, and FYI, the Classic GMC Motorhome built from '73 - '78 had a convertible sofa.  The back swung up to become an upper bunk, with the outer edge secured by seat belts!  Might do a Google search for a bbs dedicated to those and ask for pics to give you an idea how they worked.  Another possibility.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 01:03:45 AM »

Talk about confessions RJ,

Years & Years ago, I was playing HS basketball in Clarksburg or Parkersburg WVa and having traveled there by bus, we unloaded and were in the gym bldg. We were way early, which is fine, so I take a walk to strech & relax. I find the bus is still open so I find the rear 5 seats to relax(no toilet).
When I wake up, I levitated, Holy Crap, I could only think what is the score of the game I am missing... I think I rocked out for nearly an hour.
I made it, albiet late. We won so no retribution.

That was a MCI 5A, 1967 I believe, looking back on the sales/delivery records one of three they took delivery 4/1967,

S/N's 6859, 6860 & 7149.  Weirton-Pittsburgh Line.

Any body know the where about of these three lost dogs, said lovely ??

Gary

Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 04:44:55 AM »

Tim, I mounted a bunk to my 5C. I used a snap and seat belt material. The ribs will hold it, but I put another peice of steel in the rib so the screws would not pull out. You may want to look at inserts that pull in like a rivet, instead of a screw in the thin ribs.  Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
1Tim612

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 04:49:46 AM »

Well, at least it's possible...I'll give it some thought and see what I can find on sofa bunks!! Thank you!!
RichardEntrekin

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 07:19:22 AM »

Newell does this.

Here is how they do it. From the wall side the use two arms that work just like the radius arms on suspension. The pivot points mounted to the wall is actually about halfway down, so that when the bunk is up against the celiing, the bunk is snug against the wall, and when is down it also is snug against the wall. On the center aisle side of the bunk, they simply run aircraft cable from the corners straight up to the ceiling. They upsholster the bottom of the bunk to match the ceiling, and use catches to hold it up to the ceiling while not in use.

My coach was originally fitted this way, and I removed the support in the celing for the bunks. I'll be glad to send you some sketches if you want to pursue this option.

Look at the rear bedroom pictures and you can just see two of them up against the ceiling. http://www.holland-motorhomes.com/pre_owned_detail.asp?sid=0552395X2K23K2010J9I17I16JAMQ4270R0&veh=1093294

Richard Entrekin
95 Newell, Detroit S 60
Subaru Outback toad
Huntington WV

Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 07:49:47 AM »

Safari used a neat system for the bed it was powered up to ceiling when not in use and down for sleeping maybe a RV surplus would have the mechanisms   

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Tom Y

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 08:53:40 AM »

Tim, We made our sofa / bunk. Very simple. I will get a pic if you want. Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
bryanhes

Eagle Model 10 "For Now"

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 09:19:27 AM »

Tim,

There is a company that makes a sofa that is hinged at the back rest. When you want to use it as bunks you just lift the bottom of the sofa back and it attaches to cables. Your sofa then becomes a set of bunks!

Here is a link to a different type of one: http://www.bonbon.co.uk/clei/doc.htm
Looks expensive though.

There is one that used to be in a motorhome that I was mentioning above years ago that a company still makes. I have been told anyway. I am waiting for a response from the guy that told me about them.

Bryan
1Tim612

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 01:53:38 PM »

Awesome ideas!!  I can just see me telling my kids that if they don't be good I'm going to flip the power switch while their sleeping and squash them to the ceiling  Shocked. Just kidding - but made me chuckle thinking about it!! Those bunks on the Newell were great Richard - thanks for the link. That flip up couch was neat a well! Might be the best option if I could find something like that!! It would look the most natural. -Tim
Just Dallas
Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 02:12:32 PM »

Removed
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 11:10:06 AM by Now Just Dallas » Logged

I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.
Aussiecoach

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 02:49:49 PM »

This is what I am planning to use in mine.
http://www.happijac.com/prod-lifts/lift-ov.php

I am having trouble finding a supplier though, happijac won't sell direct
bottomacher

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 03:46:16 PM »

The roof support frames are about 5 feet apart in your bus, I think, and I believe that there is a caged nut about 8 inches or so from the outside wall along the frame; these are the nuts that the baggage rack supports are bolted to. If you could somehow take advantage of these nuts to insert an angle or square tube the length of the bunk, you could likely support a bunk by using two of the nuts and some aircraft cable. FWIW
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 03:54:19 PM »

I rode in an MC-7 or MC-8 in the 1980s that had a bunk hanging from the ceiling just behind the driver.  The luggage rack was removed in that area.  The bunk was lowered if there was a need for it.  Our primary driver slept in the bunk for the first part of a three week trip.  The second driver was dropped at an airport to fly home after he did the first 10 hours.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 04:15:06 PM »

Instead of hanging from the ceiling how about supporting it with folding or removable posts/legs?

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
1Tim612

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 05:24:09 PM »

Dallas - you have the most effective idea yet!!  And my kids would probably think it fun!! Or I'll just Velcro the walls and stick'm there, less chance of them hitting the floor during the night. Above the driver is an option...give me an excuse to remove that abominable TV. Making a nice platform up here would be the best! Ed, you just mentioning folding legs triggered a new thought if I was going to mount it back above the bed!!!  And thanks for the placement of the caged busnuts bottomacher Wink Gives me a place to look. - Tim
philiptompkjns

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 06:05:36 PM »

Dallas's idea is the  only one I've heard so  far that would work well in outer space.

1990 102a3... Just got started, don't  know  what I'm doing.
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 06:56:53 PM »

One "Custom Coach" conversion I looked at had a sofa that converted to a bunk bed.  The top of the backrest was hinged.  Pull out at the bottom of the backrest, swing it up and out, then hook the chrome plated chains to the chrome eyelet bolts on the ceiling.  Nice setup.  The bottom cushion stayed in its original position and made a lower berth.  The bus is in nice condition, and was located in Oklahoma City a couple of years ago when I was looking.  It is now listed on Luxury Coach website, Marion, OH.  Can I say that?
Dennis

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
1Tim612

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 07:04:49 PM »

Hey Dennis, You don't happen to have link to that website that shows a sofa that flips up to a bunk? I have room for a sofa but not room for one that folds out into a bed. -Tim
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2010, 12:22:22 AM »

Tim -

As I mentioned earlier, the GMC Motorhome had a sofa that the back flipped up to make the upper bunk.

Ask your question here, and somebody should be able to help you:

http://gmcmotorhomes.com/forums.html

Another thought is to scour the yachting magazines and the library for books on building yachts.  Sailors have been cramming a quart into a pint pot for thousands of years, so you can find lots of ideas from the marine folk, too.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2010, 08:02:03 AM »

Sorry, Tim.  I even looked through some photo albums to see if I had a pic I could send, but no luck.  Also, I'm too dumb to post a link.  Been too busy shoveling snow to learn.  The one I mentioned was a professional, original installation, as far as I know.  The selling agent can put you in touch with the owner, who probably has it there on consignment.
Dennis

Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2010, 08:15:15 AM »

OK, let's try this; luxurycoachesforsale.com.  It's stock #LCS371, '81 MCI.  It's the couch across from the booth, although you can't see much detail. HTH
Dennis

Tom Y

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2010, 09:46:04 AM »

Tim, Heres a couple pics of mine. If you need something else let me know. Mine is 27.5" from wall to front of couch. I could have put in a couch that pulls out but this is what we wanted. The back has a hinged part that flips up to form bunk.  Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
Tom Y

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2010, 09:46:50 AM »

Here it is up.  Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
1Tim612

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2010, 12:53:08 PM »

Dennis - Looks like a comfortable couch on the LCS371 but no pics in the bunk postion. RJ - sorry, haven't had time to hit the GMC forum, I actually have still work for a living so been a tad bit busy today. Smiley Tom, your sofa bunk look perfect! Any lead on who makes these would be great! Google images didn't reveal to much. -Tim
Tom Y

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2010, 03:23:59 PM »

Tim, You make it. Very simple.  Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
1Tim612

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2010, 08:08:56 AM »

Tom,
Can you post some more pics of the hinge system or let me know how you did it.  I like it!!
thx, Tim
Tom Y

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2010, 10:00:03 AM »

Tim, Email me at   tacks5@verizon.net   and I will help you any way I can.  Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: